X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Garret
    Hills of Vermont
    • Apr 2005

Re: Skookum Maru

Sundown at the anchorage where Neoga lives is not only beautiful, but it gets the "musical" accompaniment of hatches slamming all over the cove.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• cstevens
      Dreaming of a boat
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Garret
      Sundown at the anchorage where Neoga lives is not only beautiful, but it gets the "musical" accompaniment of hatches slamming all over the cove.
      Exactly. Whereas on Skookum Maru we would be sitting at anchor with all the drop windows in the salon open and a nice breeze blowing through, taking off the heat of the afternoon. Sipping a glass of dry cider while a couple of salmon steaks are grilling in the cockpit, next to some fresh asparagus. All it needs is a quick hollandaise sauce, easily made on the butane burner, and then top it off with a bit of dill.... And maybe a few fingerling potatoes for a starch. Toss them in salt, rosemary and olive oil and roast them in foil on the grill as well.

Hm. Suddenly I'm ready for dinner.
      - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Comment

• Woxbox
        • Feb 2006

Chris -- let's back up a bit. You actually make cassoulet on board?
        -Dave

Comment

• _QB_
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by cstevens
          Out here it's usually cool enough for a diesel stove well into June, and then again from about mid-September on. So it's really only too hot for it in July and August...
          This is the cruising gods' way of telling you to head north, young man!

Prince William Sound, for example.

--Paul

Comment

• cstevens
            Dreaming of a boat
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Woxbox
            Chris -- let's back up a bit. You actually make cassoulet on board?
            Not yet, but I've been scheming on how to do it. Might need to do some of the prep at home just so it's not a multi-day process. Could make duck confit, ragout and beans ahead of time, for example, then assemble and cook on board. I'm going to pick up a Yeti cooler so we can store more refrigerated items than will fit in the small refrigerator in the galley. Probably won't try it until the fall but if I do manage to pull it off you can be sure I will report all the details here!

Originally posted by _QB_
            This is the cruising gods' way of telling you to head north, young man!

Prince William Sound, for example.

--Paul
            - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Comment

• Garret
              Hills of Vermont
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cstevens
              Exactly. Whereas on Skookum Maru we would be sitting at anchor with all the drop windows in the salon open and a nice breeze blowing through, taking off the heat of the afternoon. Sipping a glass of dry cider while a couple of salmon steaks are grilling in the cockpit, next to some fresh asparagus. All it needs is a quick hollandaise sauce, easily made on the butane burner, and then top it off with a bit of dill.... And maybe a few fingerling potatoes for a starch. Toss them in salt, rosemary and olive oil and roast them in foil on the grill as well.

Hm. Suddenly I'm ready for dinner.
              Ah - but do you get lobsters delivered to your boat? Have oysters a 3 minute dinghy ride away?

I'm not gonna try to compete! I've been in the San Juans & know how beautiful they are - though Maine's islands are very similar. My boat was born in Seattle & grew up sailing in your area - so why would I not love it? Additionally, if I ever switch to power, I'll be hard pressed to buy anything other than a Monk.

Oh - one thing I will mention: We stopped in York Maine on one trip, anchored in a place with 3' rollers (only spot available with Neoga's draft), & I dinghied in for fuel. When I got back there was a perfect quiche waiting to be eaten. Yes, there were some splotches on the cabin sides & inside cabin top. Didn't mind cleaning it up a bit!

Comment

• cstevens
                Dreaming of a boat
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Garret
                Ah - but do you get lobsters delivered to your boat? Have oysters a 3 minute dinghy ride away?

I'm not gonna try to compete! I've been in the San Juans & know how beautiful they are - though Maine's islands are very similar. My boat was born in Seattle & grew up sailing in your area - so why would I not love it? Additionally, if I ever switch to power, I'll be hard pressed to buy anything other than a Monk.

Oh - one thing I will mention: We stopped in York Maine on one trip, anchored in a place with 3' rollers (only spot available with Neoga's draft), & I dinghied in for fuel. When I got back there was a perfect quiche waiting to be eaten. Yes, there were some splotches on the cabin sides & inside cabin top. Didn't mind cleaning it up a bit!
                Oh, I didn't mean to start any competition Garret! Mostly I was just hungry

You're right about the lobsters though. My grandmother was a church organist and music teacher in Damariscotta. I remember visiting my grandparents one year and going with her to one of her lessons. When she was done her student, a high-school age kid, took me out in his skiff to pull traps and then he paid my grandmother in lobster. That's one of my favorite Maine memories, along with eating huge onion rings at a little roadside place on Rt. 1, visiting the Pemaquid Point lighthouse, and riding to Bangor in my grandfather's Maserati 200si racing car - back when you could still drive something like that on public roads. I have lots of good memories from Maine even though I've never lived there.
                - Chris

Comment

• Bobcat
                  Formerly a Smallboat Guy
                  • May 2007

We don't have lobster but we do have Dungeness crab. And it's delivered to the boat when I pull up the crab pot
                  What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Comment

• Rapelapente
                    French Schooner
                    • Mar 2006

So Maine's cold, humid, foggy, full of repellent adicted mosquitoes, inhabited by agressive lobstermen and threatening forumites, mmm... How could I have such fun cruising there in 2015?
                    Am I turning masochist ?

Probably, because I'd just love to sail there again, aboard a boat like Skookum Maru.
                    Congrats, you have a superb boat !
                    To cook without turning on your stove in summer, if you have a genset aboard, these cheap and tiny induction gizmos are the solution. I've been using them for years with complete satisfaction. Except the need of turning on the genset.
                    I don't want propane/ butane aboard.
                    Gerard.
                    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.goelette-anthea.fr

Comment

• navydog
                      • Sep 2007

Lobsterman are only aggressive if you're stealing from their pots, drunk at the bar or in some other way screwing up their day. Typical for any waterman, otherwise they're pretty good guys.

Comment

• Garret
                        Hills of Vermont
                        • Apr 2005

I was threatening? My apologies if it came across that way. I can't think of a person here that I'd want to threaten - so if I did, it was unintentional.

As far as lobstermen go - NavyDog has it right. My comment on them has nothing to do with aggressiveness. At our mooring, we'll often see lobstermen going about their business. The only time they will get close to a boat is 1) if a pot has gotten close or tangled in a mooring line or 2) if someone like us flags them down & asks if they can buy some lobbies. In the latter case, cash changes hands & everyone is smiling.

I will say that a few lobstermen have been known to get a bit upset with the Coast Guard on occasion...

Comment

• Rapelapente
                          French Schooner
                          • Mar 2006

Hey did'nt you see the smiley ? I was joking. I love Maine and the people living there ! I only met friendly lobstermen, they are hardworkers and I respect them.
                          Sailng in Maine was a highlight in my sailor life.
                          Last edited by Rapelapente; 03-29-2019, 07:23 AM.
                          Gerard.
                          SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.goelette-anthea.fr

Comment

• Garret
                            Hills of Vermont
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Rapelapente
                            Hey did'nt you see the smiley ? I was joking. I love Maine and the people living there ! I only met friendly lobstermen, they are hardworkers and I respect them.
                            Sailng in Maine was a highlight in my sailor life.
                            Sorry - I missed that.

Comment

• cstevens
                              Dreaming of a boat
                              • Nov 2014

Sorry Garret - I didn't mean to start a "battle of the coasts" thread! In truth I love the Maine coast as well. I was actually born in in Amesbury, Massachusetts, home of the famous Lowell's Boat Shop, so I think I am not entirely without a little New-England-coast-cred. But circumstances (well, the Navy) took my parents to the West Coast when I was less than a year old so I grew up out here. So it goes.

Back to the topic of stoves and cooking during the summer when the diesel stove would create too much cabin heat...

Gerard, I like the ideal of an induction burner but Skookum Maru has no gen set, although she did at one time. And I'm not going to add one as I hate noise at anchor. In theory you could run one from the inverter but that's a pretty big load on the house bank. That leaves a few other options. I'm not too averse to butane burners and that's what we are going to do for now. They are convenient and work well. But I do hate the disposable cartridges. They are small, expensive and very difficult to recycle. So I'm sure we will want a better long-term option. There is still room in the deck locker for a propane bottle, so I could keep the propane setup and use it for a countertop propane burner like this Eno stove:

Which is what we may end up doing, although that's not a perfect solution either. I'm really tempted by this Wallas diesel cooktop:

It would drop into the counter top right next to the Dickinson. It burns diesel so no other fuel is needed. And the installation is very similar to the requirements for the Espar heater that we just removed so it would be easy to install. With a little work I think it could be done without making any permanent changes to the boat at all. There are only two drawbacks that I see: It's very expensive in comparison to most of the other options, and the depth and ventilation requirements mean that we would lose the built-in cutting board and one drawer in the galley.

In any case this is not a decision that we will need to make any time soon. We will use the butane burner and propane grill this summer and see how that works, and then come up with a plan for the long term.
                              - Chris

Comment

• Garret
                                Hills of Vermont
                                • Apr 2005

Amesbury, eh?

A # of years ago, I did a cell antenna audit for AT&T. A church in Amesbury had one in its steeple - so I had to climb up to inventory what it was. To get there meant climbing ladders up through the bell tower. As I came up through the trap door into the bell room itself, I almost hit my head on the 6 ft. diameter bell. When I looked at it a bit more closely, it had "Paul Revere & Sons" cast into it. That sent a shiver down my spine.

Anyway - back to the boat!

Comment

Working...