Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8910 ... LastLast

Thread: Skookum Maru

Default Re: Skookum Maru

Chris, does the electric cable have twist-lock plugs?
    Jeff

I'm not Chris, but yes the shore power connection he's talking about is a 30 amp twist-lock. And the locking action on those isn't so great. (No locking collar on the plug IIRC.)

--Paul

Yes. To be clear, it's the dock side of the cord that's the problem. I've converted the shore power inlet on the boat to Smart Plug, which has a very positive locking mechanism so that's not an issue at all. But the dock side is a standard 30 amp twist lock connection. And as Paul notes the locking action "isn't so great". (I have other ways to describe that setup as well, but it's probably best to avoid them here.) With no lock ring on the dock receptacle there isn't any way to secure the plug so it cannot be dislodged. I do have a velcro strap holding it in but that's still not an ideal solution. I don't know if its possible to add a lock ring to it. I looked at various setups online but didn't find anything that looked useful. I might end up fabricating some sort of rigid connector that will locate the plug in the receptacle so that it cannot be moved but I'm still pondering options. Suggestions welcomed as always!

I wrap the cord around the power post once and then put a bungee on it. So far it hasn't come unplugged by accident
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I too do a wrap around the column before plugging. I'd think a line with a clove hitch around where the plug meets the cord, with tails long enough to wrap the column & tied on the back side would do it. Tie a bowline on one side & loop the other side through it to pull it good & tight & 2 half hitches. Unless someone purposely unties it, it ain't gonna fall out...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I'm sure you'll figure out something with the cord. Concerning the fridge I guess it would be just a simple matter of replacing the compressor for one that is a lot more powerful (= meant to cool a much bigger space) to get the temperature down faster, and wire one of these "cold guard plates" into the system to keep the electric consumption low. These plates work a bit like people used to do in the old days: they would chuck a few plastic-covered elements into their freezers and the moment they would head off for the barbie the elements would go into the bag. Only that here the element is part of the fridge and bigger than these elements. I have (had, coz right now nothing is wired up) this on both my fridges and even in blasting 45º C Andalucian summer none of them would draw more than 14 Amps per day and being as cold as I could wish for.
    fair winds, Dody
    "They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain

It's pretty easy to just move the outlet to the other side of the post, or even to a different one ..... boathouses are like a condo, you own them.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Finally a use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    With no lock ring on the dock receptacle there isn't any way to secure the plug so it cannot be dislodged. I don't know if its possible to add a lock ring to it.
    I'm sure the boathouse association wouldn't mind if you replaced the whole receptacle and its enclosure with a better one. (They're not going to pay for it, but no one would complain if you do.) Maybe even a Smart Plug, so you could go end-to-end with that.

--Paul

If they would mind, just add a Smart plug beside the original recepticle.

Edit:
    Not living in North America, I have no mental image of the receptacles you're descussing and searching Smart Plug gives no usable answers, just sockets you could control from your iPhone.

In Europe, this is the kind of socket I'd use.
    Splash protected, 1 phase socket with positive retention. Used amongst other things for stationary machinery, shore lines and RVs.
    It's a smaller version of our 3 phase 400V sockets

Theres bound to be something similar and you certainly know better than I what to get.

Last edited by Ryden; 07-05-2019 at 03:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Probably the greatest thread in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Probably the greatest post in the history of the WoodenBoat Forum.
    -~: Roughshod Riding Rabble Rousing Rebel :~-
    Peer of The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Lauging Polar Bear

He's a common US style pedestal with 30 amp (120 volt) plugs. They are "twistloc" plugs

The plug looks like this:

It's true that the 30 amp plug is supposed to twist lock. But in my experience maybe half of the ones I encounter actually do. For the rest, including the one in Skookum Maru's slip, either the plug won't turn enough to lock or, if it will, the lock engagement is not sufficient to prevent the plug from coming out. I don't know if that's due to manufacturing differences in the plug and receptacle or wear to the same over time. Both I suppose.

But maybe the answer here is to just replace the outlet as Paul suggests. The cord is new but the receptacle is of unknown vintage. It can't hurt to replace it. I hate all old dock electrical equipment on general principles anyway, since I've melted one dock outlet myself and know of many others that have failed, including at least one fire. So I guess my next step is to contact the boathouse association regarding procedure for replacing the outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryden View Post
    Not living in North America, I have no mental image of the receptacles you're descussing
    Here's a deep dive: https://marinehowto.com/shore-power-...tplug-vs-1938/

Quote Originally Posted by _QB_ View Post
    That's the article that convinced me to upgrade to Smart Plug. Unfortunately the Smart Plug end is only on the boat side. I've looked and as far as i can see there is no provision for using it on the shore side as well. For that end we are still stuck with the standard 30A plug.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like shore side Smart Plug connectors do exist:

https://smartplug.com/miami-boat-show-2019-recap/

P1020658-576x1024.jpg

But they aren't listed under the products section of the website yet. The Smart Plug offices are about five minutes away from my house though. So perhaps I'll just drop by and ask about it.
    Last edited by cstevens; 07-05-2019 at 10:17 AM.

So I guess my next step is to contact the boathouse association regarding procedure for replacing the outlet.
    Umm, there's a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy there that works pretty well. It's just replacing a socket .... If you notice what they did about the broken water llne, I'd say your wiring job is going to be better than anything they do.

Just now seeing this as we've been out on the boat. The idea of the indicator light visible from the camera is the simplest, if a bit inelegant. A Raspberry Pi would be simple to set up as a power monitor, sending an email with a status update, though even an Arduino could be set up to start flashing a light in the event of power failure. But honestly, if the dockside socket won't maintain a connection, it should be replaced. I do know that different manufacturers do seem to have different tolerances.

We always leave our fridge running, with food and ice in it. It's too much of an impediment to fun to have to restock it every time we want to go out, or even simply spend the night aboard. It's also an ancient unit and sucks back stupid amounts of electricity. Some day it will be replaced by a modern unit with a swing compressor, probably a top loader.

I didn't know that Favorite had moved to Sechelt. That's where Kingfisher was built in 1976, and will be one of our future visits. Sure, Chris, you can certainly count on me to be an emergency contact. Anything I can ever do to help, or simply to check on things....
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

One of the more interesting rules that is enthusiastically enforced at my marina is locking rings on the shore side. Most cords only come with the ring on the boat side. Depending on the cord and the receptacle, a $12 dollar locking ring could solve your problem. (cheaper at fisheries I think)

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...BoCTHAQAvD_BwE

"The idea of the indicator light visible from the camera is the simplest, if a bit inelegant."

That's me, fer sure! / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    "The idea of the indicator light visible from the camera is the simplest, if a bit inelegant."

That's me, fer sure! / Jim
    And, believe me, I tend to think more in Rube Goldberg terms than in the straightforward at times! So, when I saw that suggestion, my first thought was, "brilliant!" By inelegant I'm imagining plugging something in to an AC outlet and clamping/hanging it so that the light is visible from the camera, with power cord dangling. I'm certain that it needn't be that clumsy!
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

Lots of options for sure. The light-connected-to-boat-AC would be easy enough to set up. There is a window right in view of the camera...

...and an AC outlet in a locker just below the window. Ultimately I do think I'll end up making a simple boat monitoring system using a small PC or Raspberry Pi but that's a project for the future. As for upgrading the shore power outlet, a locking ring on the shore side would be great. The existing box doesn't have a provision for one but it looks like I could buy a new cover for the junction box that incorporates the threads for the lock ring connection. That might be the next step but I also heard back from Smart Plug. They are in the final steps of certification for their dock side outlet now and hope to have them available for purchase within the next 2-3 months.

The single-gang box with a 30A Smart Plug outlet is exactly what I need. If they are really available within the next few months then that's definitely the way I want to go.

How expensive are the 30-20 and 30-50 amp adaptors for those units. Not that expense isn't an issue when it comes to our boats. / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    How expensive are the 30-20 and 30-50 amp adaptors for those units. Not that expense isn't an issue when it comes to our boats. / Jim
    I don't think there are direct adapters available yet Jim. Not that I've seen at least. Currently all of the shore power cables available from Smart Plug come with a standard 30A or 50A shore end. You can use any standard adapter with those to convert from 20A-30A-50A as needed. I have two Smart Plug cords now. A short one that I leave on the dock and a longer one that we take with us. Once I'm able to upgrade the shore side connection I'll swap the connector on the permanent cord for the Smart Plug end but I'll keep the standard 30A plug on the cord that we take when cruising.

I'm guessing that the total cost of the upgrade will be in the $150-$200 range. Not cheap exactly, but still a lot less expensive than a new set of AGM batteries. And WAY less expensive than a marina fire!

A power failure light would show up well on camera. When we were raising chickens, I modified a few power failure lights to add an audible alarm. A power failure during the summer could cause the loss of several thousand in a short while so I added a very loud buzzer to the lights. When the power went off the buzzer would wake us and the light let us find our way out of the house.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    A power failure light would show up well on camera. When we were raising chickens, I modified a few power failure lights to add an audible alarm. A power failure during the summer could cause the loss of several thousand in a short while so I added a very loud buzzer to the lights. When the power went off the buzzer would wake us and the light let us find our way out of the house.
    A power failure light - of course something like that would exist! It just never occurred to me. That would be perfect as I was not really liking the idea of leaving a light on all the time. Ok then. I'm spending this weekend working on Petrel but hope to get up to Skookum Maru next weekend to tackle a few tasks before we head north in August. Power failure light is going on the list.

... we head north in August.
    Gorgeous summer days up here lately. Not to put any pressure on you, but... life is short, go boating now.

Quote Originally Posted by _QB_ View Post
    Gorgeous summer days up here lately. Not to put any pressure on you, but... life is short, go boating now.
    Plan is to head out tomorrow for a week in the SJs and southern Gulf. I was hoping it would be two weeks and we would have time to get up to Gabriola but work demands otherwise. Plus Dash is nervous about crossing the border. I think he's worried that they won't let us back into the U.S... So we might be staying local. We'll see how that goes.

"Plus Dash is nervous about crossing the border. I think he's worried that they won't let us back into the U.S...

Baby steps....come to Saturna! Shannon and I are just back from our own six-night trip, where we met forumite Gib Etheridge and family at their home. Having you visit here would just be icing on that cake. Have a great trip! / Jim

Saturna is definitely one of the places on our wish list Jim. The exact itinerary is still TBD but it would be great to get up there and meet you in person. If we can make it happen we will.

Plan is to head out tomorrow for a week in the SJs and southern Gulf. I was hoping it would be two weeks and we would have time to get up to Gabriola but work demands otherwise.
    Plenty to see and do in the San Juans as you know. It will be great to see you up here when you can make it.

Plus Dash is nervous about crossing the border. I think he's worried that they won't let us back into the U.S...
    Smiley there, but, sadly, fear of being separated from your parents at the border is a thing now.

A week on the boat sounds like just what the doctor ordered. Have fun and take lots of pictures.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Wish you heaps of good times Chris, enjoy!!! - and fair winds of course !
    fair winds, Dody

Thanks everyone! Getting ready to load up and head to Blaine. Will post the usual updates on return. And on that note, here is one piece of news:

We have secured a slip for Skookum Maru at Stimson Marina in Seattle and will be moving her down here at the end of our trip. Blaine has its advantages and the fully-enclosed boathouse provides good protection, but Stimson is easily the best marina inside the locks and slips don't come available there very often. So when one opened up we decided to take it and sort out the details later.

Stimson is a great place. It's right inside the locks for convenient access to the Sound for one thing. And it's very well managed. Within the last decade or so they have completely replaced and upgraded both the fire protection system and the electrical system. And there is a significant liveaboard community to keep an eye on things as well. But the best part is that it hosts what must be the largest collection of classic wooden motor yachts in one location on the West Coast. A significant portion of the PNW chapter of the Classic Yacht Association is moored there, including Argonaut II, Graywin, Thunderbird, Winifred, Sea Cloud, Cle Illahee, King Gustaf, Willobee G, Thelonius and many others. A walk down the dock is like a visit to a wooden boat show. Skookum Maru will fit right in.

Nice! I am jealous.

Awesome Chris, congrats!
    fair winds, Dody