• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cstevens
    Dreaming of a boat
    • Nov 2014

Re: Skookum Maru

Originally posted by Bobcat
    I have gone up and found the shore power unplugged. Now I bungee it in place
    Yep, that's what I did as well. I'm hoping that will solve the problem but being a hundred miles away from the boat makes it a bit harder to just go wiggle it if needed.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Comment

• Boatsbgood
      • Apr 2017

With the frig/battery problem, my thoughts run to whether there's a way to disable the default switch to DC when shore power is off. Make it so you had to do something positive to draw dc for the frig, instead of default/auto. Might lose some groceries I suppose, but you can buy a lot of groceries for two Rolls 8D's !

Comment

• Garret
        Hills of Vermont
        • Apr 2005

Did you say the boat or shed has wifi?

If so - maybe this? http://www.batterytender.com/future
        "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• BBSebens
          No Member
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by cstevens
          At least in that instance you can expect that they will restore power at some point. I have no such hope if the cord gets knocked loose. And now that Favorite has headed north for good I don't even have anyone in the boathouse who can wander down the dock and plug it back in.

(Anson I think I might need to give you a key to the boathouse so I can impose on you for tasks like this from time to time...)

I've still got a key to your boathouse, although the codes are expired. I've come to really enjoy Blaine Harbor.
          There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

El Toro Dinghy Springline
          12’ San Francisco Pelican Sounder
          Laguna 18

Comment

• cstevens
            Dreaming of a boat
            • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Boatsbgood
            With the frig/battery problem, my thoughts run to whether there's a way to disable the default switch to DC when shore power is off. Make it so you had to do something positive to draw dc for the frig, instead of default/auto. Might lose some groceries I suppose, but you can buy a lot of groceries for two Rolls 8D's !
            True. That would certainly help. But it doesn't solve the underlying problem. I think a monitor is the only real solution.

Originally posted by Garret
            Did you say the boat or shed has wifi?

If so - maybe this? http://www.batterytender.com/future
            Hey - nice find! That looks like it would work great. And for a tiny fraction of the cost of one of the dedicated boat monitor systems. Ok then.

Originally posted by BBSebens
            I've still got a key to your boathouse, although the codes are expired. I've come to really enjoy Blaine Harbor.
            Thanks Ben. I texted you the new code so you have it. Blaine is a pretty nice marina isn't it? I think they've done a great job up there.
            - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Comment

• Phil Y
              Banned
              • Apr 2010

We lived aboard our boat for a couple of years in Papua New Guinea. Our dock neighbour was the Prime Minister. He was a keen fisherman and usually had a stock of Tuna and Marlin in his freezer. One time someone forgot to plug in the shore power. Batteries ran down, freezer defrosted. Tropical heat. His million dollar boat stank like a cat food factory for the next 6 months or so, no matter how hard they tried to clean, disinfect and deodorise.

I'm sure there are cell based boat monitors that send voltage readings, bilge alerts and whatever to your phone pretty cheap.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• _QB_
                • Apr 2012

With the frig/battery problem, my thoughts run to whether there's a way to disable the default switch to DC when shore power is off.
                Unless Chris has replaced the old Vitrifrigo--which wouldn't be a bad idea but it basically works, just not very efficiently--it's a DC only model. It's powered directly from the batteries (well, through a few switches and fuses and breakers). We always emptied it of perishables and turned it off when leaving for a while, a strategy I recommend, because there really aren't any other continuous DC loads, or anyway hardly more than the Rolls's self discharge rate, and those big AGM's will easily last for months. The thing is, if you discharge the house bank, it is possible to have worse consequences than some spoiled provisions--say if the boat somehow happens to really need its bilge pumps to work and there's no battery to power them.

--Paul

Comment

• Boatsbgood
                  • Apr 2017

OK, understand the existing system now. Well, I'd probly do what Paul did: disable frig when not aboard. Cause the other stuff...bilge pumps, not killing batteries, etc, seems way more fraught to me.
                  Brian

Comment

• cstevens
                    Dreaming of a boat
                    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by _QB_
                    Unless Chris has replaced the old Vitrifrigo--which wouldn't be a bad idea but it basically works, just not very efficiently--it's a DC only model. It's powered directly from the batteries (well, through a few switches and fuses and breakers). We always emptied it of perishables and turned it off when leaving for a while, a strategy I recommend, because there really aren't any other continuous DC loads, or anyway hardly more than the Rolls's self discharge rate, and those big AGM's will easily last for months. The thing is, if you discharge the house bank, it is possible to have worse consequences than some spoiled provisions--say if the boat somehow happens to really need its bilge pumps to work and there's no battery to power them.

--Paul
                    OK, understand the existing system now. Well, I'd probly do what Paul did: disable frig when not aboard. Cause the other stuff...bilge pumps, not killing batteries, etc, seems way more fraught to me.
                    Brian

Yes, I'm seeing the wisdom of that plan as well. Ok then.
                    - Chris

Comment

• SeanM26
                      • Jun 2019

Originally posted by cstevens
                      I had to look up Expanse as I had (somehow) never heard of that series. Interesting, but no. If I was going to name a boat after a fictional space ship I would certainly pick Firefly or Serenity first. But in this case the boat is named after the horse.
                      I highly recommend the Expanse if you enjoy sci-fi.

The new Raspberry Pi 3 has enough conouting power to be a stand-alone desktop computer with built in Wi-Fi. It shouldnt be hard to have it monitor battery voltage or charge current and send an alert when it hits a certain threshold.

Also, it's nice to see so many locals in Blaine Harbor. Most likely going to splash my big plastic boat up there next spring.

Comment

• cstevens
                        Dreaming of a boat
                        • Nov 2014

Originally posted by SeanM26
                        I highly recommend the Expanse if you enjoy sci-fi.

The new Raspberry Pi 3 has enough conouting power to be a stand-alone desktop computer with built in Wi-Fi. It shouldnt be hard to have it monitor battery voltage or charge current and send an alert when it hits a certain threshold.

Also, it's nice to see so many locals in Blaine Harbor. Most likely going to splash my big plastic boat up there next spring.
                        I agree. I've been meaning to pick one of those up to play with and that's the direction I've been thinking for a DIY system. If I do go that route I'll post details here.

Blaine is great. I highly recommend it. Quiet, clean, well-maintained. Close to the San Juans and Gulf Islands. Really there is nothing not to like except the distance from Seattle.
                        - Chris

Comment

• SeanM26
                          • Jun 2019

I am not a fan of Seattle. Or any city, for that matter. Since I moved away from downtown Dallas, TX 10 years ago I have slowly moved farther and farther away from cities. I now live halfway between the 'Ham and Lynden with my closest neighbors 200 yards away.

I have spent a little time in Blaine Harbor. In 2016 we pulled my buddies big red fishing boat out of the water and made a helluva racket for a couple weeks repairing and painting her before heading to Alaska for the Summer. We went to the Kite Festival a couple weekends ago there and hopped on Plover for a quick ride. The only friend I have who has a boat there full time has decided to sell it, so now all my friends are in Squalicum.

Comment

• Phil Y
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2010

I think it's best to turn off the fridge and not have shore power connected. Minimise risk of electrolysis.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• gypsie
                              NSW Australia
                              • Jun 2010

I use a Ctek dual battery controller which selects the best recharge source, solar or alternator. You can get a thingy called a Smartpass for it. It monitors your house battery and only lets current through to your house supply if the house battery is full.
                              I think it's specifically designed to manage the high current draw of an item like a fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Comment

• BBSebens
                                No Member
                                • Jan 2008

QUOTE=SeanM26;5927118]I am not a fan of Seattle. Or any city, for that matter. Since I moved away from downtown Dallas, TX 10 years ago I have slowly moved farther and farther away from cities. I now live halfway between the 'Ham and Lynden with my closest neighbors 200 yards away.
                                *WAVES*

Hi neighbor!
                                Last edited by BBSebens; 07-02-2019, 03:21 PM.
                                There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

El Toro Dinghy Springline
                                12’ San Francisco Pelican Sounder
                                Laguna 18

Comment

Working...