Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 38474849 LastLast
Results 1,646 to 1,680 of 1702

Thread: Skookum Maru

Default Re: Skookum Maru

Well Chris I've looked and thunk about your texture on the cabin top and can't for the life of me think what it might be. Given her age and such, I was looking for walnut shell bits or something, but in the area sanded down one sure doesnt see any bits of ... anything really?
    When I've resorted to 3m scrubbies, my goal is usually to remove gloss and dirt, but usually dont try to get it flat, that takes a lot of time and material, which negates some of the point of the method...Would a light touch leave enough texture for painting? Avoiding gloss will help a bit, as will alkyd enamel vs urethanes (enamel applied with a not-foam roller is by itself adequate nonskid in our small flatbottom skiffs, for seat tops and such where one need to be able to step, but only occasionally.)
    Still a bit of work ahead, but it will perk her up a bit I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    Well Chris I've looked and thunk about your texture on the cabin top and can't for the life of me think what it might be. Given her age and such, I was looking for walnut shell bits or something, but in the area sanded down one sure doesnt see any bits of ... anything really?
    When I've resorted to 3m scrubbies, my goal is usually to remove gloss and dirt, but usually dont try to get it flat, that takes a lot of time and material, which negates some of the point of the method...Would a light touch leave enough texture for painting? Avoiding gloss will help a bit, as will alkyd enamel vs urethanes (enamel applied with a not-foam roller is by itself adequate nonskid in our small flatbottom skiffs, for seat tops and such where one need to be able to step, but only occasionally.)
    Still a bit of work ahead, but it will perk her up a bit I think.
    That’s exactly what I’m thinking Brian. I can’t tell what is making that texture either. It’s almost like the fiberglass weave was filled and rolled out to a rough epoxy surface before paint. But in any case the goal is definitely just to cut the gloss not to flatten it. That’s a project for another day. And really she will still look way better with a fresh coat of paint as you say. I’m prepared to be happy with whatever we can achieve this time as there is a long list of other projects that I want to get done as well. Cabin side repair, dinghy davit refurbish (including finally replacing the electric winch with the bronze hand winch you sent me, which has been waiting patiently on the shelf for the last few years). Completing the refinish project on the Whirlwind… but one thing at a time!
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Yes, agree re: one thing at a time, its a constant struggle to keep focus on the priorities, at least for me...

Speaking of priorities, it turns out that the state of the deck paint might be the least of my concerns at the moment. I finally got around to investigating the soft patch in the aft cabin side that I found back in August and...

That's pretty ugly. I had hoped that the problem was constrained to the plywood face but no, it's well into the beam shelf. Down at the bottom things are a little better but still looking at bit sketchy.

The plywood face is delaminating but the carlin seems to be ok so far (he said hopefully). And on top of the rot and delamination issues, the fiberglass covering the top of the aft cabin is barely adhering to the plywood. I expect that if I put a putty knife in far enough the entire thing would just strip right off. This section, which was under the top support for the davit, is the worst of it but there are several other places where it is obviously coming up.

So, what to do? If I'm honest with myself here, I think it looks like I need to remove the trim above the rotten beam shelf, take off maybe 4'-6' of the plywood from the outer face of the cabin side and the outer 6"-12" of the cabin top in that area as well, then scarf in new sections of beam shelf, plywood face, and deck. (With any luck the cabin top beams are still ok and no repairs will be needed to them.) And while I'm doing all that it seems silly not to pull the rest of the trim off all around, pull up the hand rails, and re-glass the entire cabin top.

Anyone want to tell me that they think I can get away with doing less work here? Anyone think that doesn't go far enough? Any single boat project will always expand...
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

OH BUMMER! Will they let you work on that at your slip, or are you condemned to a yard?

You might be able to get away with leaving the cabin top intact and just work from the side to fix your beam shelf. But I think you’re at the point of reglassing the cabin top either way. Now that it has started failing you’ll just be chasing trouble if you try and patch it, at least that’s how it seems to work for me.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    OH BUMMER! Will they let you work on that at your slip, or are you condemned to a yard?
    Well the guy on one side of me (liveaboard) has a complete woodshop on the aft deck of his cruise-a-home, a canoe in mid-restoration on top, and an interior bulkhead replacement project that has be ongoing for months now. And the woman on the other side (also liveaboard) spent all of last year gutting and completely remodeling her cruise-a-home. So I think my little cabin repair project will pass unnoticed. But I do need to think about how much it makes sense for me to do here, versus hiring a shipwright. There are also a few projects on my list that would be easier if Skookum Maru were hauled out. So it's tempting to try and get her into a shop like the Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-op and just have them do everything. I'm thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    You might be able to get away with leaving the cabin top intact and just work from the side to fix your beam shelf. But I think you’re at the point of reglassing the cabin top either way. Now that it has started failing you’ll just be chasing trouble if you try and patch it, at least that’s how it seems to work for me.
    That's what I think too Jim. I might be able to get away with patch work here and there but I don't know that I'd spend any less time doing that than just starting over, and it would just need to be redone at some point anyway. I think I know what needs to be done, I just was hoping that it would be a smaller job. Still, it could be worse. I (well Jeff, the shipwright) replaced over 100 linear feet of deck on Perihelion, plus rebuilding all of the superstructure above the deck. I'm not going to get too worked up about this project. Yet.
    - Chris

It's not for me to say what you should do, and you can certainly just patch it up in spots. A thorough job would be to remove all trim, sand the cabin sides back to wood, replace any rotten spots and glass the sides. I would remount all trim with the screws going into epoxy plugs.
    Are you sure the cabin top is glassed with epoxy? From that photo with the yellow hammer I would have guessed at polyester, never seen epoxy releasing so cleanly from the ply. If that's how it adheres everywhere it would be best to rip it off and glass everything new down to the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    It's not for me to say what you should do, and you can certainly just patch it up in spots. A thorough job would be to remove all trim, sand the cabin sides back to wood, replace any rotten spots and glass the sides. I would remount all trim with the screws going into epoxy plugs.
    Are you sure the cabin top is glassed with epoxy? From that photo with the yellow hammer I would have guessed at polyester, never seen epoxy releasing so cleanly from the ply. If that's how it adheres everywhere it would be best to rip it off and glass everything new down to the deck.
    I agree 100% Rumars. And yes, I suspect that it is polyester not epoxy. I am on the fence about glassing the sides although I agree that it would be a good idea. But I'm definitely going to strip the cabin top and re-glass it with epoxy. The only question now is whether I'm going to do the repair and re-glassing work by myself, or largely by myself with some professional assistance, or commit to having a professional shop do the entire job. I do have a list of things that need to be done out of the water, and Port Townsend Shipwrights Co-Op has a shed... I could take her up to Port Townsend and leave her there for a few weeks and just have everything done at once. However I wasn't planning on that level of expense for the boat this year so I'm still thinking about it.
    - Chris

Compromise. Strip the cabin to bare wood yourself, let the pro's replace the wood, glass and paint yourself. This way you save money on time intensive jobs, and you can present the shipwrights with a bare surface where they can identify and repair any problems. While the boat is in dry dock you can sand and varnish the trim at home. Tape a plastic sheet over the cabin while at sea.

Chris, if you choose to do this work yourself, remember that you'll have to turn the interior of your boat into a shop. You will need a place to store tools that are not normally on the boat, paint, stripper, epoxy, glass cloth (you'll need a place to cut it to size... gonna use your bunk?), etc etc etc. I remember the interior of my dad's Grand Banks 32' when he rebuilt it. It was a small shop. Not a yacht.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    Compromise. Strip the cabin to bare wood yourself, let the pro's replace the wood, glass and paint yourself. This way you save money on time intensive jobs, and you can present the shipwrights with a bare surface where they can identify and repair any problems. While the boat is in dry dock you can sand and varnish the trim at home. Tape a plastic sheet over the cabin while at sea.
    That sounds like a good plan. I've reached out to the shop that I am thinking of using and am waiting to hear back from them regarding their availability. A lot will depend on timing. If they have an opening now I might just take Skookum Maru up there right away as I have some travel coming up and it would be nice to get the work started while I'm away. But if they can't do it until later I will use the time to get things opened up.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Chris, if you choose to do this work yourself, remember that you'll have to turn the interior of your boat into a shop. You will need a place to store tools that are not normally on the boat, paint, stripper, epoxy, glass cloth (you'll need a place to cut it to size... gonna use your bunk?), etc etc etc. I remember the interior of my dad's Grand Banks 32' when he rebuilt it. It was a small shop. Not a yacht.

Jeff

Very true. And I have been through that situation many times. I'm reading The Wreck of the Mary Deare to Dash in the evenings and recently I encountered this line from a part of the story where John Sands and his diving partner Mike are working on their boat, Sea Witch, on the hard:

We cleared the saloon table of tools and wood-shavings
    I had the most vivid image of the state of things from that one line. Hammond Innes was obviously a man who spent time working on wooden boats!

But it's not as bad as all that. One of the best features of Skookum Maru is the standing-headroom workbench in the engine compartment.

It's a wonderful thing to have. A luxury usually reserved for much larger boats. And of the items you listed, the only thing that I don't have aboard the boat right now is fiberglass cloth. There would certainly be a great deal of tools and wood-shavings on the saloon table involved in doing this work, but there is also plenty of space to tidy things away between innings.
    - Chris

That looks useful. I'd probably just take my laptop and work there all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    That looks useful. I'd probably just take my laptop and work there all day.
    Its a pretty nice space but there are better places to sit with a laptop aboard. My favorite is the helm chair.

With your feet propped in the door opening you can comfortably manage a laptop while still enjoying the view.
    - Chris

That wheelhouse is awesome. If I was king of the world there wouldn’t be any more twin screw plastic Wakemaster 45s produced, just beautiful cruisers like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerwagon View Post
    That wheelhouse is awesome. If I was king of the world there wouldn’t be any more twin screw plastic Wakemaster 45s produced, just beautiful cruisers like yours.
    Thanks Powerwagon. I'll confess that at least half of my justification for maintaining this thread is the excuse to post photos of Skookum Maru. For example...

- Chris

That's so cool. Thanks for posting.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    That's so cool. Thanks for posting.

Tom
    Thanks Tom.

At the PTWBF Bruce B. asked me what it was like to own a boat like Skookum Maru - well known, very well kept, and at least mildly historic. However the tide of the show swept me on before I had a chance to answer the question. The truth is that it took some getting used to at first. She's a commitment. On occasion we will have someone come up to the boat with stories of cruising aboard her, or working on her in the past. That happened in Port Townsend in fact. A painter who has a shop there came down looking for a long-ago previous owner that he had worked for in the past. We have the original log book because a man who had it in his possession for years saw us in the Ballard Locks and tracked us down to give it to us. So there is a certain obligation to keep her in the best shape possible and the knowledge that people would look dimly on anyone who failed in that task. It does help that the first thing we did was to refasten her below the water line. After that job everything else seems a lot less intimidating!
    - Chris

Awww...now you're just showing off....and I'm SOOOO glad! Share those any ol' time

Love seeing your pix of Skookum Maru, Chris. Those wide-angle shots are better than any other interior photos I have. Just one criticism:

flowervase.jpg

The gimballed flower vase needs some flowers!

Ha! We usually do have flowers in the vase.

I think that bunch had just died right before I took that series of photos so the vase was empty but Tory makes sure we have fresh ones whenever we can find them. It's one of the nicest things about the boat.
    - Chris

And more flowers...

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens
    I'll confess that at least half of my justification for maintaining this thread is the excuse to post photos of Skookum Maru.
    I have no experience with big wooden powerboats, but I enjoy following along and seeing how other people do it!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    And more flowers...

My wife said she'll provide and arrange flowers for cruise time

Any time Hugh. Flowers optional. Although no cruising or boat work for a little while at least as I’m off to Florida for a few days for a combined family visit and business trip. I’d rather be sanding to be honest, but all the projects will still be there when I get back.
    - Chris

Ahhh...at least you can leave your projects We're still in the throes of a remodel and have only half of a front wall. The house has been a bit...insecure....all summer.
    20221006_165452[1].jpg

Where were we? It's been a long three weeks! I was in Florida for most of it. Fortunately not the part that was hit by Hurricane Ian - and I wish a speedy recovery to all who were affected. It was a family visit but I still found a few wooden boats.

Like this neat little flatiron skiff at the Elliott Museum in Stuart Beach.

Then when I got back we had wildfire smoke in Seattle for days. No boat work possible as the air quality was off the charts. On Wednesday and Thursday this past week the air in Seattle was worse than any other city in the world. So we stayed inside and waited it out. But finally on Friday the rain returned and brought the true Northwest Fall weather with it.

There was more rain today as I headed down to Skookum Maru to chip away at the aft cabin repairs. And very welcome it is.

I love this weather but maybe you have to grow up here to appreciate it. I know not everyone does.

The first task on the rot repair project was to remove the molding from the edge of the cabin so I could open up the rotten area completely.

I had some trepidation about tackling this job as I really wanted to pull the molding off without damaging it so that it could be reused and I was not entirely confident that it wouldn't disintegrate as soon as I put any pressure on it. But there is no virtue in a faint heart so I steeled myself to the task. And after scraping away the varnish over the plugs, drilling them out, and pulling the screws, I was able to carefully pry the molding away in one piece. Success!

One thing about wooden boats though. They can tell you a lot about their past if you look carefully. And sometimes they can tell you a lot about your future as well. For example...

I can see that my future holds a lot of plywood replacement and removal of old rusty nails. Years of it I expect. All the decks, cabin tops, and cabin sides are built this way. The plywood is delaminating in many places while the nails that hold it all together are all failing. I am still hoping to keep the current project within reasonable limits but it might be time to replace the aft cabin top now, while I have it all opened up. And maybe the cabin sides as well...
    - Chris

You were kind of expecting that, weren't you, Chris? Is that something you're comfortable with or will you be hiring that out? Best of luck, either way!

Did it take some force to peel those veneers or did they volunteer to come off? Is the overlay polyester? that would help explain the water intrusion. As you say, your future is foretold...
    Brian

You were kind of expecting that, weren't you, Chris? Is that something you're comfortable with or will you be hiring that out? Best of luck, either way!
    Thanks Hugh. Yes, not entirely unexpected but I was still hoping that I could limit the scope of this project to just the rot repair. As for how much I’ll end up doing, I’m not sure yet. I have talked to Mark Lerdahl, who did the refastening back in 2018, about doing the more difficult bits so I’ll get as far as I can and then turn it over to the professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    Did it take some force to peel those veneers or did they volunteer to come off? Is the overlay polyester? that would help explain the water intrusion. As you say, your future is foretold...
    Brian
    The overlay is certainly polyester. It peels right up. And the plywood veneers are delaminating and lifting up in places. No effort needed. It’s not happening everywhere yet, but it seems silly to glass over what’s there if I already know that the plywood is deteriorating and the nails are failing.
    - Chris

Mama said there'd be days like this...

Lots of bad news here but perhaps the worst is that the rot extends forward right to the corner of the pilothouse.

Things get a lot more complicated up there, especially around the salon window frames.

The trim underneath the windows is one piece all the way to the door, making any repair to that area quite a bit more complex than the aft cabin itself..

The good news, if there is any, is that the rot is not quite as bad at the aft end but there are still some smaller pockets all along the beam shelf and in the blocking between the deck beams so I expect that the whole thing will need to be replaced.

And as if that wasn't bad enough for one day, I tapped the starboard side of the cabin and found that there are several soft spots developing there too. So this project is looking like a substantial aft cabin rebuild. Beam shelves, blocking, cabin top and cabin sides at least. It does seem like the structure of the sides below the beam shelf is still ok so I am hoping I won't have to deal with anything other than the top layer but that may change when I open it up further.
    - Chris

One question for everyone. To get at the corner of the pilothouse I'm thinking about cutting the bottom window trim piece right before the windows start so I can remove just the section at the end.

If I'm careful with the cut I think I will be able to just scarf it back together. There would be a short section there but that might be preferable to tearing into the window assembly itself. Any thoughts or recommendations? And yes, I realize that even with a very thin saw blade there will still be a gap where I make the cut. But there are other scarfs in the varnished trim that have been filled - including the scarf at the cabin break that is visible in the photo - so I'm not too concerned about that.
    - Chris

OUCH! Sorry to see that, Chris. On the other hand, I'm glad she's in the hands of someone who will fix this correctly. I see too many boats around with bodged "repairs" that ultimately become property of the State Marine Board for disposal.
    Regarding the scarf...and I'm just speaking for myself here...when I see a nicely done repair it speaks of history and caring. To me that represents a measure of the thought that goes into maintaining a boat well.

OUCH! Sorry to see that, Chris. On the other hand, I'm glad she's in the hands of someone who will fix this correctly. I see too many boats around with bodged "repairs" that ultimately become property of the State Marine Board for disposal.
    Regarding the scarf...and I'm just speaking for myself here...when I see a nicely done repair it speaks of history and caring. To me that represents a measure of the thought that goes into maintaining a boat well.
    I agree Hugh. There is no shame in a well done repair. I just hate taking apart or cutting into some perfectly good piece of the boat just to get at the rotten bits. But I guess that's the nature of wooden boats. They are infinitely repairable but you have to do the work. So the plan then is to cut and remove the trim just behind the window. (I'm hoping that the water stain on the trim is just a mark and not something worse). Then remove the outer face of the cabin side as needed to remove all the rot. The rotten beam shelf has to end before the window so with luck I won't have to open it up too much more than I have already.

Thinking ahead, I expect that I will have to replace the entire beam shelf and the blocking between the deck beams. I am still hoping that the beam ends and the rest of the cabin side structure can be saved but if needed I will scarf in sections to repair the ends of the deck beams. I'm fairly certain that I will have to make similar repairs on the starboard side as well. And depending on what I find when I pull up the fiberglass covering the cabin top I may end up replacing the plywood there as well. Infinitely repairable indeed...
    - Chris

Yes to cutting the bottom trim if you want to dig into the aft part of the pilot house. But before you do that, a look beyond the outer ply sheathing would be revealing. So cut a plug out of the ply below (and maybe, above) the aft pilot house windows. If any rot appears, you'll be able to see it. That knowledge will dictate your next move. You may have to keep going forward...

Jeff