Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678 ... LastLast

Thread: Skookum Maru

Default Re: Skookum Maru

Flying Eagle appears to be a 'picnic boat' now, but has the bone fides of a real down east lobster boat (unlike some of us impostors...)

https://www.woodenboat.com/register-...s/flying-eagle

She's nice looking boat for sure, as is skookum maru for that matter! Thanks for sharing Chris!

-Luke

Oh she's more than the typical picnic boat of today's build for sure. Larger and more able boat in a sea. There is usually enough room in the cabin for a nice weekender. The engine takes up quite a bit of room, but a box over it can make things bearable. Flying Eagle is narrower than the boats we built but it's still the same basic hull form.
    Last edited by navydog; 06-11-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    You don't need autopilot, you have a very capable 1st mate now.
    Funny, I was about to write something along the lines of "true, but he doesn't yet know how to avoid a ferry coming up behind us" but then I realized that neither would an autopilot, and at least the kid can learn. So there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    "made of bronze or brass"

Chris, if it is brass don't use it for cooking. Zinc in brass will migrate into your food. It can cause big health issues.
    Yes, Good point! After I posted my earlier note about it I had the thought that perhaps I should look up the dangers of cooking with brass or bronze and realized the same thing. So since I don't know exactly what it's made of I am going to stop using it for cooking. It's a nice piece of metal though so I'm sure I can find a decent use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by lukes View Post
    Flying Eagle appears to be a 'picnic boat' now, but has the bone fides of a real down east lobster boat (unlike some of us impostors...)

https://www.woodenboat.com/register-...s/flying-eagle

She's nice looking boat for sure, as is skookum maru for that matter! Thanks for sharing Chris!

-Luke
    Thanks for the link Luke. Interesting history on her.

Oh she's more than the typical picnic boat of today's build for sure. Larger and more able boat in a sea. There is usually enough room in the cabin for a nice weekender. The engine takes up quite a bit of room, but a box over it can make things bearable. Flying Eagle is narrower than the boats we built but it's still the same basic hull form.
    Judging from the orientation of the stack on Flying Eagle I'm betting the engine is under the cuddy, leaving the cockpit wide open. Might not be much room below though. A pretty boat for sure.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Yes the engine is in the cuddy which is actually fairly large area, except there is always a big V8 in the middle.

Yes the engine is in the cuddy which is actually fairly large area, except there is always a big V8 in the middle.
    Ah, I see I misread your original post on the subject, thinking you meant an engine box in the cockpit like my Dad's boat. Of course that would never do in a working boat! Ok then.
    - Chris

No big deal. The work boats we built, the engines were left uncovered. Nice to work on but the open pulleys are dangerous. Not a good idea on a yacht.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Ah, I see I misread your original post on the subject, thinking you meant an engine box in the cockpit like my Dad's boat. Of course that would never do in a working boat! Ok then.
    Well there are no absolutes. All the deadrise work boats on the Chesapeake have a box over the engine right in the middle of the boat. However since there is no down below, they draw almost no water, there isn't anywhere else to put it.

The next morning Dash woke me up at 5:30 am, with a level of excitement normally reserved for Christmas. Iím an early riser by nature but that was pushing things even for me. However once heís up there is no chance he will stay in bed so I abandoned the comfort of my bunk and we began our day. We were in no rush at this point so we took a few hours for coffee, a light breakfast and final pre-cruise chores before getting underway for Friday Harbor at 0845. We departed Blaine under a high overcast that was quickly burning off and a light wind from the SW. A great day to be on the water.

Once we cleared Birch Point and headed across the Strait of Georgia, Dash said he wanted a chance to steer. I humored him thinking that at age six he might not be able to hold a heading but there was nothing to hit out here, and that in any case he would soon tire of the monotony and toil of steering a straight course. But I should have had more faith. He held our course for over an hour, steering for the mark that I gave him with more patience, attention, and skill than many adults in my experience.

I will admit to feeling more than a little parental pride just then.

Once across the Strait we passed Patos Island, where we had planned to anchor the previous night.

Active Cove is tiny, with two mooring buoys and room for maybe a couple more boats at anchor. We poked in to have a look around and saw two boats there already. Iím glad we didnít try to get in there at night. We will save that for another time. Instead we continued down President Channel past Waldron and Orcas Islands, into San Juan Channel and finally to Friday Harbor where we found a guest slip for the night and then spent the rest of the afternoon walking the town and visiting the shops...

...before having dinner at a local restaurant with a view of the water and a decent steak frites on the menu, followed by a lovely, delicate sunset...

Öand a quiet evening with LEGOs and the start of a jigsaw puzzle.

[continued]
    Your brother Ben recognized the allusion, in the photo of Dash at the helm, to a similar photo of you, a few years older, at the wheel of St. Brendan. As for parental pride, I have that photo, as well of a photo of Ben at Dash's age steering Pilgrim up Eggemoggin Reach on another coast. References to Active Cove and Orcas bring back memories and I dare say there was some nostalgia mixed in with this short cruise, with you now the captain dad.

Quote Originally Posted by rstevens View Post
    Your brother Ben recognized the allusion, in the photo of Dash at the helm, to a similar photo of you, a few years older, at the wheel of St. Brendan. As for parental pride, I have that photo, as well of a photo of Ben at Dash's age steering Pilgrim up Eggemoggin Reach on another coast. References to Active Cove and Orcas bring back memories and I dare say there was some nostalgia mixed in with this short cruise, with you now the captain dad.
    Now all we need to do is to get a similar shot of Milo on Albemarle Sound (that's my 1+ year old nephew, for readers who don't have the Stevens family tree handy). And yes, plenty of nostalgia on these trips. One day perhaps I'll dig out my copy of the log from St. Brendan to recreate some of those long-ago cruises. Princess Louisa is definitely on the list of places to revisit. And Sequim, Eastsound, Roche Harbor, Garrison Bay...
    - Chris

Default Re: Skookum Maru.

The next morning Dash woke me up at 5:30 am, with a level of excitement normally reserved for Christmas. Iím an early riser by nature but that was pushing things even for me. However once heís up there is no chance he will stay in bed so I abandoned the comfort of my bunk and we began our day. We were in no rush at this point so we took a few hours for coffee, a light breakfast and final pre-cruise chores before getting underway for Friday Harbor at 0845. We departed Blaine under a high overcast that was quickly burning off and a light wind from the SW. A great day to be on the water.

Once we cleared Birch Point and headed across the Strait of Georgia, Dash said he wanted a chance to steer. I humored him thinking that at age six he might not be able to hold a heading but there was nothing to hit out here, and that in any case he would soon tire of the monotony and toil of steering a straight course. But I should have had more faith. He held our course for over an hour, steering for the mark that I gave him with more patience, attention, and skill than many adults in my experience.

I will admit to feeling more than a little parental pride just then.

Once across the Strait we passed Patos Island, where we had planned to anchor the previous night.

Active Cove is tiny, with two mooring buoys and room for maybe a couple more boats at anchor. We poked in to have a look around and saw two boats there already. Iím glad we didnít try to get in there at night. We will save that for another time. Instead we continued down President Channel past Waldron and Orcas Islands, into San Juan Channel and finally to Friday Harbor where we found a guest slip for the night and then spent the rest of the afternoon walking the town and visiting the shops...

...before having dinner at a local restaurant with a view of the water and a decent steak frites on the menu, followed by a lovely, delicate sunset...

Öand a quiet evening with LEGOs and the start of a jigsaw puzzle.

[continued]
    Well, Milo will be six in five years (October 2023 actually), so perhaps a photo op in June 2024?

Princess Louisa is definitely on the list of places to revisit.
    C'mon up and we can boatavan. You could be here in two days easy with that speed demon

Sechelt Narrows ? Even at slack that water looks mean.

Funny about that pan. It's a griddle. Or at least I think it is... But I've never before seen one made of bronze or brass...
    It's a griddle. I didn't think it was brass or bronze; there's no green patina on it anywhere. It is heavy though. Maybe steel with a surface treatment? Tap with a magnet...

No autopilot.
    It is a homely and humble one, and consists simply of a bungee cord that loops onto a helm wheel spoke, but that's no reason not to call it an autopilot .

--Paul

Quote Originally Posted by _QB_ View Post
    It's a griddle. I didn't think it was brass or bronze; there's no green patina on it anywhere. It is heavy though. Maybe steel with a surface treatment? Tap with a magnet...

It is a homely and humble one, and consists simply of a bungee cord that loops onto a helm wheel spoke, but that's no reason not to call it an autopilot .

--Paul
    Ah, interesting. I assumed brass or bronze from the color but you're right - it would be green right now if so. Maybe it's stainless turned yellow from heat discoloring? I'll have to take a closer look. And how could I forget the trusty bungee cord! "Autopilot" might be too grand a name for that handy device, but it does at least hold the wheel in place so that's something.

Helped a friend ferry his boat from Shilshole to Bell Harbor for the Classic Yacht Association Rendezvous today. Nice evening for the short hop and I got to see some pretty boats when we arrived...

Gyrfalcon

Comrade

Maranee

Marian II

And Flying Eagle again, the lobster boat we saw last weekend in Deer Harbor.

- Chris

Pretty neat story re flying eagle from our hosts. https://www.woodenboat.com/register-...s/flying-eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Ggp001 View Post
    Pretty neat story re flying eagle from our hosts. https://www.woodenboat.com/register-...s/flying-eagle
    Thanks Gpg001. She's a neat boat. I talked with the owner briefly last night. It seems like they might be looking for something larger so if anyone wants a nice lobster boat...

Went back down to Bell Harbor yesterday and got to see an old friend.

St. Brendan is the boat that I first lived aboard as a kid in the early '80s, and that started a lifetime of love for wooden boats. This is the first time I've seen her in nearly forty years.

She looks really good! Better even than she did back then. Which is nice to see.

I also got a look at Duffy in person for the first time.

She looks great. The new deck color is perfect. And Dinky, the new Monk-designed dinghy, is a lovely addition.

- Chris

Chris,
    Was this the boat that your stayed on in Baltimore.

Chris,
    Was this the boat that your stayed on in Baltimore.
    No, that was a different and older Matthews named Ninigret. This is her:

She was lovely too, although the flying bridge was an atrocity committed by a previous owner. But open side curtains to not go well with living aboard during a Maryland winter.
    - Chris

Looks like a nice show, and it’s pretty cool to catch up with a boat you haven’t seen in almost forty years.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

I visited the show yesterday along with friends from out of town. Miles of varnish on offer! I particularly like seeing the unique bronze fittings that many of the boats sport. Most of the boats were open to visitors who were greeted warmly by an owner or crew. My personal favorite was Patamar. This opinion based on nothing more than the emotional reaction when first seeing her.

IMG_2731.jpg

Unfortunately, the owner was absent while I was in the area so I didn't get to go aboard.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I visited the show yesterday along with friends from out of town. Miles of varnish on offer! I particularly like seeing the unique bronze fittings that many of the boats sport. Most of the boats were open to visitors who were greeted warmly by an owner or crew. My personal favorite was Patamar. This opinion based on nothing more than the emotional reaction when first seeing her.

Unfortunately, the owner was absent while I was in the area so I didn't get to go aboard.

Jeff
    Patamar is a beauty and a real jewel below. I briefly considered buying her back in the '90s, before I eventually bought Savona, but she was just too small to live aboard. Here's a few photos I took of her back in 2017. She was in her boathouse at the time so the lighting isn't great but you can get the idea.

- Chris

Patamar is a beauty and a real jewel below.

So cozy! Makes a sail an oar guy want to upgrade.
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    So cozy! Makes a sail an oar guy want to upgrade.
    I second that. I was rethinking my folkboat plans for a moment there. Very alluring.

Dash and I went back up to Blaine yesterday to visit Skookum Maru. My boathouse camera went offline a couple of weeks back so I haven't been able to check on her from home. I figured that the security guard must have turned the dock lights off, which might have also killed power to the camera. But when we got there I found that the problem was rather more serious. The shore power connection at the dock is mounted at just the right height and placement that someone walking by can easily knock into it, moving the plug just enough to disconnect the power. That had happened once before and so it was again. Without shore power the mobile hotspot that provides connectivity to the camera shut down. Which was annoying but worse, no shore power means no battery charging while at the same time the refrigerator switches to DC power. So when we got to the boat the battery monitor displayed a glaring red zero for the charge level on the house bank.

With a slightly sick feeling I tightened the plug and added a velcro strap to it to try and hold it in place a bit more securely. Shore power restored, after a few minutes the charge level began to come up so I hope I have not irretrievably damaged the two Rolls Surrette AGM 8Ds making up the house bank. I don't even want to price out what it would cost to replace them!

Camera back on and boat check complete, Dash and I headed down to Bellingham to look at a boat. Which of course I bought, because I have a compulsive thing about buying boats. Not that I expect anyone here to understand that...

This one is for a project that you can read more about here:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...probably)-bust

We'll see how that goes. Then this morning I took the new boat, christened Rocinante, for a row around Salmon Bay. During which I poked into a few marinas and fairways to see what interesting sights I could see.

Quite a few as it turns out.
    - Chris

Don Quixote or Expanse?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanM26 View Post
    Don Quixote or Expanse?
    I had to look up Expanse as I had (somehow) never heard of that series. Interesting, but no. If I was going to name a boat after a fictional space ship I would certainly pick Firefly or Serenity first. But in this case the boat is named after the horse.
    - Chris

The good news is that you have a remote signal when shore power is turned off. At least you will know if it happens again.

The good news is that you have a remote signal when shore power is turned off. At least you will know if it happens again.
    Yes, well sort of. The wi-fi hotspot has its own battery so it will last for a few days after the shore power is cut. During which time the house batteries will be draining. So I am planning to set up a more immediate alert of some sort. I haven't decided on how yet though. There are various remote monitoring devices available of course, but they are expensive and all the ones I've seen require an ongoing subscription payment in addition to the purchase cost. Given that a large part of my professional work involves working with sensors and computers of various sorts I'm sure I can make something better for less money. I just need to find the time...
    - Chris

I had sort of the opposite happen recently. Went out in the boat and came back, plugged into shore power and nothing worked. Reset the breakers. Uncoupled and coupled the cord. Nothing

Turns out there was a marina-wide power outage
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I had sort of the opposite happen recently. Went out in the boat and came back, plugged into shore power and nothing worked. Reset the breakers. Uncoupled and coupled the cord. Nothing

Turns out there was a marina-wide power outage
    At least in that instance you can expect that they will restore power at some point. I have no such hope if the cord gets knocked loose. And now that Favorite has headed north for good I don't even have anyone in the boathouse who can wander down the dock and plug it back in.

(Anson I think I might need to give you a key to the boathouse so I can impose on you for tasks like this from time to time...)
    - Chris

I have gone up and found the shore power unplugged. Now I bungee it in place
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I have gone up and found the shore power unplugged. Now I bungee it in place
    Yep, that's what I did as well. I'm hoping that will solve the problem but being a hundred miles away from the boat makes it a bit harder to just go wiggle it if needed.
    - Chris

With the frig/battery problem, my thoughts run to whether there's a way to disable the default switch to DC when shore power is off. Make it so you had to do something positive to draw dc for the frig, instead of default/auto. Might lose some groceries I suppose, but you can buy a lot of groceries for two Rolls 8D's !

Did you say the boat or shed has wifi?

If so - maybe this? http://www.batterytender.com/future
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

At least in that instance you can expect that they will restore power at some point. I have no such hope if the cord gets knocked loose. And now that Favorite has headed north for good I don't even have anyone in the boathouse who can wander down the dock and plug it back in.

(Anson I think I might need to give you a key to the boathouse so I can impose on you for tasks like this from time to time...)

I've still got a key to your boathouse, although the codes are expired. I've come to really enjoy Blaine Harbor.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    With the frig/battery problem, my thoughts run to whether there's a way to disable the default switch to DC when shore power is off. Make it so you had to do something positive to draw dc for the frig, instead of default/auto. Might lose some groceries I suppose, but you can buy a lot of groceries for two Rolls 8D's !
    True. That would certainly help. But it doesn't solve the underlying problem. I think a monitor is the only real solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Did you say the boat or shed has wifi?

If so - maybe this? http://www.batterytender.com/future
    Hey - nice find! That looks like it would work great. And for a tiny fraction of the cost of one of the dedicated boat monitor systems. Ok then.

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    I've still got a key to your boathouse, although the codes are expired. I've come to really enjoy Blaine Harbor.
    Thanks Ben. I texted you the new code so you have it. Blaine is a pretty nice marina isn't it? I think they've done a great job up there.
    - Chris