Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 toys that made many childhoods

Lightbulb 10 toys that made many childhoods

How many did you have/play with?

Ten toys that made our childhoods

Kids today may have all the gadgets – but they’ll never know the joy experienced by children of the 60s and 70s. Do you remember these toys?
    Spirograph (Hasbro)

Perfect for rainy days – hours of fun were spent with Spirograph, the geometric drawing toy that produced mathematical roulette curves technically known as hypotrochoids and epitrochoids. Who knew? We loved it anyway and versions are still available today.

Action Man (Palitoy)

Originally based on the American GI Joe figure, the Action Man range first came to Britain in 1966, comprising Action Soldier, Action Sailor and Action Pilot. There was a host of paraphernalia to collect including uniforms, tanks, boats and jeeps. If you have any still in good condition, there are a lot of collectors out there now…

Mouse Trap (Ideal)

This game took real patience and dedication just to set up! The player’s objective was to trap all of their opponent’s mice in the various stages of the game – with cranks and gears, cages, bath tubs and loops – it was a game of wits. And frustration.

Space Hopper

One of the trends of 1969 – it was a jolly orange rubber balloon with two handles protruding from the top. The rider would hold on and bounce, using the elasticity to move forward. It was relatively cheap and also kept dad busy at the weekend fixing any punctures…

Twister (Milton Bradley)

Contortionists loved this one – hours of fun with friends in stocking feet on the plastic mat, which has four rows of coloured circles with a different colour in each row. The spinner decided whose feet and hands moved where, and there was no limit to how many could play at once, but more than four was a tight fit!

Cont'd
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: 10 toys that made many childhoods

cont'd

Battling Tops (Ideal)

“It’s all in the wrist action” was the famous advertising strap line. The object of the game was to have the last standing spinning top – players wound a string around their top and pulled vigorously to release the top into the arena. Pegs in holes on the rim of the arena marked victories and the first to win ten battles won the game!

Buckaroo! (Ideal)

The original game used a white mule, which began standing on all four feet as
    players took turns placing various items onto his back – very gently and gingerly. If triggered, the mule would buck up and throw off the accumulated items and the winner was the last remaining player to place an item on the mule’s back before it bucked!

Lite-Brite (Hasbro)

This great toy was basically a light box with small colored plastic pegs that fitted into little holes on a panel and then illuminated to create a lit picture, similar to LEDs. Templates were also available to create characters such as Mickey Mouse or Scooby-Doo. Not surprisingly, it’s now available as an iPad app – but we loved the original version.

Baby Alive (Kenner)

This was the most life-like doll of the time; she was a beautiful blonde baby doll and could be fed food packets mixed with water. She came with a bottle, nappies and a feeding spoon – the food would eventually move through her and end up in her nappy, much to the disgust of your brothers!

Atari 2600 (Atari, inc)

One of the first home video games accredited with using ROM Cartridges, they went on to produce the arcade hits Space Invaders and Pac Man and never looked back. Games included Frogger, Crazy Climber and Millipede.

Raleigh Chopper

These were the coolest bikes of the time – coveted by boys and girls, they were based on the dragsters from the 60s and were great for performing perfect wheelies…

and last but not least:

Girl’s World (Palitoy)

Hairdressers and beauticians in their forties and fifties may well admit that their career aspirations began with a Girl’s World! The head styler came with rollers, make-up and brushes – all you needed to recreate the latest look.

Four, plus a homebuilt chopper that was way better than anything Raleigh had to offer. But by far the best isn't on the list: Lego.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Four, plus a homebuilt chopper that was way better than anything Raleigh had to offer. But by far the best isn't on the list: Lego.
    Absolutely.

PS When did you last play a game of Monopoly?

PSS When did you last win a game of Monopoly?

Erector set has to be listed. In many ways superior to legos due to tool set design and use.

DFEFCF91-9424-4883-A370-CCB064F75CBD.jpeg
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Sorry - but while I agree Erector was superior to Legos, Meccano is superior to Erector.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

"para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Erector set has to be listed.
    Lincoln Logs for when you were little, American Bricks a bit older. Then HO guage trains ... and balsawood model airplanes. And the Cutty Sark in wood, string, and tiny little deadeyes.

I don't think I had ANY of the **** listed in the original post. Thank Zeuss !

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    Lincoln Logs for when you were little, American Bricks a bit older. Then HO guage trains ... and balsawood model airplanes. And the Cutty Sark in wood, string, and tiny little deadeyes.

I don't think I had ANY of the **** listed in the original post. Thank Zeuss !
    Twister was best at about age 13 or 14, as, if played co-ed, it meant that you came in contact with various places that would've gotten you slapped otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Sorry - but while I agree Erector was superior to Legos, Meccano is superior to Erector.
    Toy history is funny and quite interesting.

There is some patient litigation of the 1920 which suggest meccano took from US Erector. To beat restrictions - Meccano created a subsiderary in Soviet Union to make the competing toys to erector which Meccano rebranded as thier own.

When I was a kid, my dad had a few erector sets from the 1930s in beautiful hand crafted wood boxes with full tool sets. They were incredible.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Toy history is funny and quite interesting.

There is some patient litigation of the 1920 which suggest meccano took from US Erector. To beat restrictions - Meccano created a subsiderary in Soviet Union to make the competing toys to erector which Meccano rebranded as thier own.

When I was a kid, my dad had a few erector sets from the 1930s in beautiful hand crafted wood boxes with full tool sets. They were incredible.
    Ha! I grew up with my dad's Meccano sets (one in a wood box) - both of which were made in England - in the 20's.

Many friends had Erector sets & all agreed that the Meccano parts were better made & far more rugged. Of course that could be because the Meccano stuff was made in the 20's & their Erector sets were early 60's.

Lincoln Logs.

Battleship
    Even a fish wouldn’t get in trouble if it kept it's mouth shut.

My bike, the brook at the bottom of the road and the fields beyond, unless it was dark or raining, then Lego and Airfix kits.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

According to WIkipedia, Hornby, the train guy, invented Meccano in 1898. Erector came along about 1910.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Ha! I grew up with my dad's Meccano sets (one in a wood box) - both of which were made in England - in the 20's.

Many friends had Erector sets & all agreed that the Meccano parts were better made & far more rugged. Of course that could be because the Meccano stuff was made in the 20's & their Erector sets were early 60's.
    what is really incredible is that any steel toys prior to 1940 even survived. Children would turn all thier meccano and Erector sets over for the war effort. Children were proud to contribute to the scrap drives. Very prewar german steel toys survived at all.

You were a lucky lucky boy to play with the saved set. Erector sets of the late sixties and early seventies were quite flimsy and often lacked production controls. They were sharp too causing little nicks and cuts. The only time I played with the old stuff was when it was scrap pieces which got mixed into old toy train collections. Even as a kid, you knew you were holding a Erector/meccano treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    According to WIkipedia, Hornby, the train guy, invented Meccano in 1898. Erector came along about 1910.
    a slightly different toy and different tooling.

Lego and hot wheels race tracks. Then when I was 10 Star Wars came out. I wish I still had those Star Wars toys, and cards, and comics, and books, and posters, and records. . .
    Nosce te ipsum

We must be almost exactly the same age, I think I was 10 when Star Wars came out. The summer before my 11th birthday.

53 in October.
    Nosce te ipsum

Yep, close - 53 the day before October.

Where did the time go?

Great, now I miss my Wookie and I feel old!
    Nosce te ipsum

what is really incredible is that any steel toys prior to 1940 even survived. Children would turn all thier meccano and Erector sets over for the war effort. Children were proud to contribute to the scrap drives. Very prewar german steel toys survived at all.

You were a lucky lucky boy to play with the saved set. Erector sets of the late sixties and early seventies were quite flimsy and often lacked production controls. They were sharp too causing little nicks and cuts. The only time I played with the old stuff was when it was scrap pieces which got mixed into old toy train collections. Even as a kid, you knew you were holding a Erector/meccano treasure.
    My dad's grandfather turned 100% of the hardware on his boat over to the WW1 effort & then scuttled her. I guess dad decided that was enough. Yes indeed I was lucky & knew it. Then there was the standard gauge Lionel set...

One of the best parts of the Meccanno sets was that I had 5 or 6 of the original electric motors. Talk about simple to understand!

Did anyone else have one of these? I wore mind out. Just found another in mint shape at an estate sale. Not sure what I'll ever do with it, but it brought back such good memories I couldn't pass it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    How many did you have/play with?
    Did anyone actually play Mousetrap as it was intended? We would just put it all together to watch it work.

None of the yunk in the OP! Few toys, more interested in what ‘worked’. BB guns, horses, bicycles, skates, skis... driving the tractors, feeding livestock. Taking things apart- with real tools. Fishing rods. Making stuff. Climbing everything and exploring.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

^^Action Man: Figured it had to be UK as he is carrying an FN-FAL.

Slinky. Super Ball. Instant Insanity. Daisy BB gun. Bicycle (most important for me, more utility than toy). Spirograph; When I bought my first computer, the first program I wrote was a polar-plotting routine that imitated Spirograph patterns. I would set it on autopilot and have it increment a parameter, draw, display for 5 seconds, then clear the screen and draw the next. Mesmerizing.

EDIT: All but the bike and BB gun I encountered at school, the others not at home, dad didn't really buy us toys. I grew up more with tools. My first pocketknife, a scout style knife, was treasured.
    Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 03-15-2019 at 03:53 AM.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Erector Set, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toy, Lionel trains.

My granny had some plastic army men and cowboys and Indians, I later got a sting ray bike, I had a cap gun and coon skin Davy Crockett hat. I dunno I dont remember toys , I was born in 1953, when a GI Joe came out I was to old..

I had a baseball Mitt I slept with, a ball inside, my sister's ice figure skates I had to play hockey in, I had a lot of brothers. No toys. My friends and I stopped by rich kids houses to play with theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    That’s pretty much my list as well, plus a gyroscope and a Viewmaster. But probably my favorite was my dad’s toolbox which he encouraged me to use and not abuse.

Construx was a toy my siblings and I spent hours playing with. Today, I say Lego is the greatest toy ever made. The things it teaches, varieties available, special interest toys..... If your kid likes batman, there's batman Lego, if they like playing with horses, there's horses to play with. Just about every TV show or movie has some sort of Lego set associated with it. Makes for a great toy system really
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Lego, Meccano and airfix. Then Boy Scouts! Sailing, hiking, kayaking, but kept up airfix till quite late teens.
    I can not recall ever having a remote control (rx) toy, but my little brother did. When he tired of them I would harvest the motors and bits and make random stuff out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    American Flyer here. Two rails, just like the real thing

Nobody else had American Bricks ? You could build entire towns with those things. Windows, doors, roofs with gables, everything !

" I may be old, but I saw all the cool bands ".
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.