Thread: Making a bearing out of bamboo

Default Making a bearing out of bamboo

I was watching this Burmese man bashing away the other day, asked him what it was for... and he pointed at the rat-tailed boats in the river.

I didn't get the whole story... presumably the bit just above the prop

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Default Re: Making a bearing out of bamboo

Is the whole engine on those things on a swivel?
    Would like to know more about them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Is the whole engine on those things on a swivel?
    Would like to know more about them.
    Yep
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

James Bond: The Man With the Golden Gun:

Looks like down in the bayou, this is the long

and short of it.
    https://youtu.be/a_jDb1JkJYI?t=17
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Well that’s pretty neat! I have always found those rat tail and long tail boats pretty interesting . The guys that race the small ones are insane!! Lol

if the boat will float in it the long tail will push you thru it

no impeller to worry about

noisy as all get out(specially the 2-smokers)

"here Bubba hold my beer..." ;-)

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Dang.

Maybe cane bearings for the lathe...

Peace,
    Robert

Many years ago we pulled VERY old vertical turbine pump with a water-lube shaft and the bearings that were in it were wood of some sort the owner said that it had been installed in the early '40's and had been in intermittent service ever since. In a modern system they would be a cutlass bearing, now weather this was a "war time" expedited solution I can not say but it did throw us all for a bit of a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Dang.

Maybe cane bearings for the lathe...

Peace,
    Robert
    I've got buckets of Bunting Bronze...
    (Or you could use bacon rinds, just sayin' )

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I've got buckets of Bunting Bronze...
    (Or you could use bacon rinds, just sayin' )
    Oh, ho!

I made a wee, powered lathe to make a few tool handles (I had to make a few custom tools for a project, but the pole lathe was too clumsy for the wee handles I needed), and I simply used hardwood for the bearings. It's a recycled shaft running in through-drilled, then through-sawn blocks of wood. The cap screws hold the whole shebang together, and there's a little oiler hole and cup in top of each. It's quaint.

My buddy has this neat patch of cane we use for kite spines. May as well experiment with some cane bushings. I have been threatening to build a powered sharpener...

Peace,
    Robert

many of the impements on my grandfather's farm had hardwood bearings

just grease them daily...

and Robert is that "cane" or hopefully Bamboo

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    many of the impements on my grandfather's farm had hardwood bearings

just grease them daily...

and Robert is that "cane" or hopefully Bamboo

sw
    Cane and bamboo are essentially the same plant, so I use the term interchangably. Some 1200 types, so I don't get too particular. I prefer cane, as it is a more encompassing word that includes all bamboos, in my mind, anyway. These canes I mean are Tonkin Cane, carefully cultivated for specific uses. The kite spines we get are from the "waste" canes, that don't measure up to his rigid standard.

Peace,
    Robert

Google found two, I counted them, sites that specifically mentioned bamboo bearings. One was this thread and the other was about a bamboo bicycle that only said that even the spindle bearing was made of bamboo. English may not be the right language to search. My Vietnamese vocabulary is limited to the word Pho.

The key characteristic of wood needed for bearings seems to be hardness, so bamboo is a decent candidate. The oily hardwoods like teak and lignum vitae are the best, but oil impregnated hard maple appears to be fairly common commercially.

There are instructions for oil impregnating hardwood bearings using hot groundnut oil (peanut). https://www.appropedia.org/Oil_Soake...chnical_Brief)
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Lignum Vitae might a better choice and is a wood that was used for bearings on cargo ships for many years prior to the invention of other materials. If you live near a inexhaustible bamboo forest then you have an endless supply of bearing stock!
    Jay

I have a dodgy photo of the half finished bearing. Unfortunately the phone camera focused on the ground rather than the bearing in my hand. It's very thick walled bamboo and was quite heavy. The steel bar was compressing and hardening the bamboo
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I was once told a story about Lignum Vitae bearings used in a ship, by an retired US Navy Machinery Repairman
    They were assembled as a bunch of tapered wedges and driven in until tight. Then the shaft was run dry until it smoked, with the result being a carbon bearing that wold last near forever with seawater as the lubricant.
    Any truth to that story?

I believe that they would run them in dry, and that they would start to smoke, but the charred surface was probably very thin and would wear away quickly. In the end, they probably had a small clearance with a wood bearing surface that was matched to any irregularities in the shaft.

I did mention oil impregnated hard maple before, but that is the modern substitute for the endangered species, not an improvement. Tufnol works well, better if the phenolic contain MoS2, but still not as good as lignum vitae.

https://www.hydroworld.com/articles/...ic-turbin.html

The main shaft bearings of Dutch windmills ware Lignum vitae.

When I build my big wind generator out of scrap and with small tools on board of my sailing boat,
    I made the yawning bearing out of hardwood.
    Two ball bearings would be the normal way to go, I opted for hardwood for several reasons.
    The yawning shaft was 1” SS, length 100mm. Made a very precise boring in the hardwood using my small lathe and a self made boring tool. By tensioning the fixation bolts of the bearing block I can regulate the exact force needed to yawn the wind generator. Two steel plates compress the wood a bit, that way creating a tight fit around the shaft. Ball bearings would be destroyed in weeks.
    The 3” long bearing block is a lot better at taking the fierce vibrations created by a two blade 1,73 meter propeller when yawning. The yawning can only occur while the blades are vertical, not when horizontal, resulting in a machine gun like yawning.
    The big two blade prop is very well balanced, ( have to balance the self made wooden prop every two weeks ) but the yawning of a two bladed windgen is a problem. That is why they use min 3 blades nowadays. I opted for two blade so I could stow the prop between the deck beams.
    One disadvantage with the wooden bearing is that when it rains, the bearing seizes. A few seconds with a spanner and the bearing is perfect again.
    When sailing the gen is taken down. I only use the big windgen when at anchor in winter.

After some months of experimenting with the wind generator I found it better to mount the gen in a fixed forward ( to the bow ) looking position. We are almost always at anchor, and the fierce forces from wind gust are better dampened by the fixed gen. The boat turns slowly into the wind, resulting in a smoother start-up of the propeller.
    Windgen now has its 5e winter of generating power. Bearing as new.