Thread: Book question "Building an Adirondack Guide boat"

Default Book question "Building an Adirondack Guide boat"

Greetings,

While looking for another book online, I just ran across "Building an Adirondack Guide Boat" by John Michne. I'm interested because it sounds intriguing as he uses laminated spruce ribs and the option to plank in pine or strips. Has anyone bought or thumbed through this book?

Thank you,

Jason

Default Re: Book question "Building an Adirondack Guide boat"

Yup, it is quite comprehensive. I am starting a build using it as my guide.

I built a Guideboat using the strips from the first edition. The spruce laminated ribs work out well, especially if you don't have some red spruce stumps in your backyard. Even if you do have the stumps, you might not want to dig them up and dry the rough cut pieces for a year. I heard that a real expert can feel that the boat is slightly stiffer using the laminated ribs.
    There are some boats built over forms and they don't use ribs at all, they just fiberglass/epoxy the inside. That makes a light boat. but I prefer the look of the ribs.
    The book explains the building process quite well. It takes a while to build.

Thank you for the responses. I guess I'll have to pick that one up.
    Cut3times, are you going to post pictures of your build?

I have not decided yet if I will post the project. I tend to get distracted by several different projects and I am a complete novice at posting. As of right now I have only got as far as making the molds to steam bend the ribs. I expect to bend the ribs once the weather improves.

I cut the laminations thin enough so I didn't have to steam them.

Quote Originally Posted by Schooner36 View Post
    I cut the laminations thin enough so I didn't have to steam them.
    I'm using ash for my ribs and my only experience is to steam it. What wood did you use and how thin did you cut them?

As per one of the suggestions in the book, I got some lumberyard spruce - Picked the clearest 2x6,8, or 10s and ripped them to 2" and then ripped them aqain to between 3/16" and 1/4" thick. Glued them up over the forms and then ripped out the ribs- then used the template to get the exact shapes. Spruce roots is what they used if they were available - they used the curves so so laminations weren't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Schooner36 View Post
    As per one of the suggestions in the book, I got some lumberyard spruce - Picked the clearest 2x6,8, or 10s and ripped them to 2" and then ripped them aqain to between 3/16" and 1/4" thick. Glued them up over the forms and then ripped out the ribs- then used the template to get the exact shapes. Spruce roots is what they used if they were available - they used the curves so so laminations weren't necessary.
    Thanks for the reply. Spruce is generic around here so I am not sure what I would get for stock. The ash will be a little heavier but I am at an age where I will not be portaging it anyway. I am thinking 1/4 inch thick strips.