Thread: Asbestos in America

Default Asbestos in America

Bales of asbestos imported from Russia, bearing a seal with the words "Approved by Donald J. Trump, the 45th president of the United States.

Default Re: Asbestos in America

PBS, finest news source in the US. For even deeper discussions on single issues, Frontline.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

So you import a substance that has to be 'disposed of safely and according to strict regulations immediately?

(of course from some reading it seems that even ensuring public safety is a political matter).
    The politicians involved should be served now with notice of litigation concerning future asbestosis claims caused by these imports.

I rekon every politician who wants to legalize asbestos should first work 40 years with the stuff 8 hours a day 5 days a week....... without any protection.

If they haven't gone through the proper apprenticeship they cannot be competent as asbestos promotors.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    PBS, finest news source in the US.
    liberal left wing pinko commies
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Asbestos is still legal for some uses in the U.S.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Shocking! Why aren't they buying it from Quebec!?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I wonder how many buildings in the US are sitting vacant currently because of the cost of asbestos abatement.

Don't fool around with it. A good friend was recently diagnosed with mesothelioma, the only proven cause is asbestos. He did some asbestos removal in his house years ago and did not wear any PPE (personal protective equipment). Will undergo surgery to remove the pleura from his right ling, not a pretty surgery. He was lucky the cancer had not spread and they actually found the area of asbestos, doctors are giving him a "fair" chance of recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    so you import a substance that has to be 'disposed of safely and according to strict regulations immediately?

(of course from some reading it seems that even ensuring public safety is a political matter).
    The politicians involved should be served now with notice of litigation concerning future asbestosis claims caused by these imports.
    (asbestos) use was so widespread the australian government's asbestos safety and eradication agency estimates that one-third of all homes built in australia contain asbestos products.domain.com.au
    wow !
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

What are the current legal uses of asbestos?

this is alarming https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    What are the current legal uses of asbestos?this is alarming https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos
    Poisoning customers in the 3rd World, largely.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    liberal left wing pinko commies
    Jim Lehrer?! (Yes he's retired but still casts a long shadow on that show.) Judy Woodruff? Both are considered very middle-of-the-road, establishment. Lehrer was often chosen to moderate presidential debates. Now (long retired) Robin MacNeil, he's a Canadian.

Frontline's long and detailed profiles of both Trump and Hillary Clinton before the 2016 election was stunning, and balanced, not sensationalist, but pulled no punches.

Canadian? I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Don't fool around with it. A good friend was recently diagnosed with mesothelioma, the only proven cause is asbestos. He did some asbestos removal in his house years ago and did not wear any PPE (personal protective equipment). Will undergo surgery to remove the pleura from his right ling, not a pretty surgery. He was lucky the cancer had not spread and they actually found the area of asbestos, doctors are giving him a "fair" chance of recovery.
    He is lucky. I wish him well. Mesothelioma is usually a death sentence with 40 years on death row. I have lost three mates to it.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Jim Lehrer?! (Yes he's retired but still casts a long shadow on that show.) Judy Woodruff? Both are considered very middle-of-the-road, establishment. Lehrer was often chosen to moderate presidential debates. Now (long retired) Robin MacNeil, he's a Canadian.

Frontline's long and detailed profiles of both Trump and Hillary Clinton before the 2016 election was stunning, and balanced, not sensationalist, but pulled no punches.
    Paul forgot his sarcasm emoji...

PBS is a great news source & Frontline is top notch.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Canadian? I'm sorry.
    Why? Robin MacNeil was actually quite respected among serious journalists here, nothing like the screaming hacks of now. Among his other achievements, he did a light documentary called Do You Speak American?, about variances due to ethnicity, geography, and social status.

Related: During the height of the Vietnam war, Morley Safer (a foreign correspondent for CBS News) highlighted US troops burning down native dwellings, and LBJ was furious, accused Safer of being a communist and had him investigated. Reporting back, his aides said, "He's not a communist, sir, just a Canadian."

Trump's face and "stamp of approval" on bales of asbestos imported from Russia? And Uranium 1 got all the attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    wow !
    Which is why Australia has the second-highest rate of asbestosis in the world, and climbing.

Rick