Thread: How to apply and sand antifouling?

Default How to apply and sand antifouling?

Can antifouling paint be sanded to a smooth, consistent surface?

I've rolled on two coats of antifouling, on top of a vinyl primer, on top of an epoxy primer, on top of epoxy. I can still see roller marks and that bothers me. I want it to be more consistent. I'm considering to roll one more coat and apply it more consistently... OR to sand it to a polished finish. It's an aesthetic question... I appreciate any tips!

Default Re: How to apply and sand antifouling?

Never heard of sanding antifoul, and your boatyard may not like it. Try roll and tip another coat.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Racing antifoul is routinely sanded to a smooth finish, wet-sanded!

'antifouling' comes in many forms and it feels like I've sanded all of them, and have a major job in front of me very shortly. I've also always rolled it on.
    hard, self polishing , soft/ ablative. I'd sand for a racing finish but I would never sand for cosmetics because its about coverage and what wears away in the life of the paint in the water. If its not rolling on too well then you might have to consider thinning it to suit the temperature you're applying it in. They all have spec sheets and often have help desks to get it right.
    Most yards want boats wet sanded here, they have sealed yards and catchment drains and filters for the runoff. In a bizarre twist , the yard I'm looking at now won't let you do that, they want dry sanding with vacuum sanders.

What kind of antifouling? And what kind of finish are you looking for? If you're not racing, I'd quite agree with John B...leave it alone for prolonged coverage. If you're racing, I'd start with one more coat, rolled and tipped. If it's an ablative, the next time you scrub the bottom it'll be as smooth as sanding. Pics would help...this is a very photo hungry forum

There are certain formulations of antifoul designed for burnishing. Check out Petti Black Widow, as just one example--there are others.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I sand the bottom of my boat every year.
    Well, actually ,in the past I let the anti foul build up. Not for the past 12 or so years though, and never again. Im loathe to let it build up.
    Depending on where your boatyard is, of course.
    I also BRUSH the bottom. One of the few who does not roll.
    But your problem MAY be too much build up...paint sickness.
    bruce

Wiz,
    Why do you brush?

I use ablative paint with a fine nap roller. I don't sand. After power washing I go over with a sharp scraper and a light hand. That way no dust and the scrapings are heavy enough to just fall on the tarp for easy disposal. Modern bottom paints are much safer to the environment and boat painters than the old copper.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I also BRUSH the bottom. One of the few who does not roll.

bruce
    Yep. That's the only way to really work it into all the nooks and crannies.

Never dry sand anti-fouling paint. Inhaling bottom paint sanding dust can guarantee an ambulance trip from the boatyard to the hospital. Always wet sand. Some use glass griddle blocks for the job. They work quite well, wearing to conform to the bottom's curves, and are cheap.

Weber makes a grill scrubber pad; industrial scotchbrite on a sturdy plastic handle. A five gallon bucket of warm water full of TSP, some good gauntlet type rubber gloves and you can remove a lot of paint without any dust.

It's a self-polishing antifouling paint for boats up to 20 knots. The manufacturer says I can sand it after it is thoroughly dry... a week or so. The problem I appear to be having is just that sometimes the roller is to dry. So I'll go a stretch where the texture is uniform, and then there will be one stripe. The paint is just much more sensitive than typical wall paint.

Maybe I will sand it. Maybe. For that we have festool disc sanders and shop-vacs.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    'antifouling' comes in many forms and it feels like I've sanded all of them, and have a major job in front of me very shortly. I've also always rolled it on.
    hard, self polishing , soft/ ablative. I'd sand for a racing finish but I would never sand for cosmetics because its about coverage and what wears away in the life of the paint in the water. If its not rolling on too well then you might have to consider thinning it to suit the temperature you're applying it in. They all have spec sheets and often have help desks to get it right.
    Most yards want boats wet sanded here, they have sealed yards and catchment drains and filters for the runoff. In a bizarre twist , the yard I'm looking at now won't let you do that, they want dry sanding with vacuum sanders.