Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67

Thread: Building a scaled up Lillistone First Mate in G10 for Bike Sailing

Default Re: Building a scaled up Lillistone First Mate in G10 for Bike Sailing

I have no experience heaving to without a jib, so take this with a grain of salt. I think that what you described in the video as "hove to" is more like "underway" - with the sheet that far in and the tiller amidships, I would expect any dinghy to round up in the next puff, which is exactly what yours did.
    In your shoes I would practice on a calm day starting on a broad reach with plenty of sea room. Let the the sheet way out so that it barely draws, then as the boat slows, raise the board and gradually push the tiller hard over. I think you'd want the tiller to windward to resist the force of the sail trying to point the boat up, but if that way doesn't work, try the other! You could experiment with showing a bit of centerboard to see if that helps. Once you've found a solution, see if you can heave to quickly by tacking into the same settings - sheet out, rudder over, etc.
    The Richmond harbor is a great place to practice this stuff. At anything above a low tide you have a long playground upwind of the channel behind the breakwater that extends from Brooks Island. You'll have flat water and (most days) a beautiful steady breeze.
    Let us know how it works out!

-James
    Last edited by pez_leon; 05-19-2022 at 12:05 PM.

Default Re: Building a scaled up Lillistone First Mate in G10 for Bike Sailing

I "heave to" in my first mate by sailing close hauled, letting the sheet for the lug go completely free, and putting the tiller hard to lee.

Storer has some tips for jibing a balanced jug.