Thread: Hurricane of 1939 hits Newport Beach CA video

Default Hurricane of 1939 hits Newport Beach CA video

This is the only film known to exist of the Chubasco that, unexpectadly, hit Southern California in 1939. My father was one of the surfers that rescued people at the harbor entrance.
    Jay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZl6...ature=youtu.be

Default Re: Hurricane of 1939 hits Newport Beach CA video

Astonishing footage. Kudos to your father...

Great story! Sounds like the only one with sense was the one who ran off toward the Channel Islands! I'd much rather be offshore in some bumpy water than trying to surf through a channel! Did a delivery a while back from Bellingham to Astoria and was assured by the owner that he had "all navigation equipment required". Luckily I brought my own charts & stuff but didn't have a current tide book so we hit the Columbia Bar at full ebb. Spent a couple of hours circling behind the South Jetty while things calmed down.

You are a wise man Hugh! I never trust the dead reckoning and nav. gear of others on a strange boat delivery!
    Another note here is that the owner of the 38' Alden Schooner "Wanderlure II" was in the Catalina Channel with his wife and kids coming back from the Isthusmus of Catalina Island and was caught in that blow. He noted, later in his log, that he put his family below, shut the hatch and tied himself in the cockpit after radioing friends to meet him at the dock in LA Harbor. He came across the channel under bare poles, later calculated at some nine plus knots! The crew were on the dock when he arrived and coasted into a slip at Hanchett's Yacht Landing. He made it without a scratch!
    Jay

I figure I got pretty lucky. He did have a small chartplotter, but no paper charts, dividers, parallels...nothing else. Not even binoculars. Now my kit includes pertinent paper charts, instruments, hand bearing compass, binocs and I've promised myself to grab the most current tide books before I head out. All it cost was a couple of hours of dodging crab traps and watching seals.

Paper charts are really expenisive now! They used to be fifty cents. Now they a damn near unaffordable for us low lifers!
    Jay

Sometimes getting ashore makes sense. Mom and Grandfather were sailing around Cape Cod when Grandfather just felt it. He crashed the sloop ashore north of Nauset and he and Mom scrambled to a dune shack just as the Hurricane of '38 devastated the East Coast. Grandmother and my aunts and uncle were in the family summer place in Sagamore with no idea whether Grandfather and Mom were even alive. Took two days to walk out.

Yes, Grandfather sacrificed the boat to a feeling - there were no official warnings back then.

Way cool vid. Brave people surf and know how to save others.

All I can say is Wow! Ian! Sounds like they were very lucky!
    Jay

Re: Film of Newport Harbor in the early 1950's

Before the building of the Jetties, my Dad also surfed the Newport Entrance in the late twenties and early thirties along with Doc Ball and Duke Kahanomoko. Back in those days that area was proported to have the best surf in the world. Then, after that killer storm, the East Jetty was built further out and the good surf was no more except during a big south swell. Sometimes it is possible to surf inside of the East Jetty but now the Harbor Dept. shoo's surfers away. It can even result in a fine!
    Jay

Stella Maris, the yacht shown at about 03:30 in the video, just came up for sale on SF craigslist.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa...847633581.html