Thread: Fox: ugliness; pushback; ad revenue issues

Default Fox: ugliness; pushback; ad revenue issues

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-shake...060001490.html

Fox News is planning a shake-up of its pitch to advertisers at the same time as multiple controversies over the tenor and content of its news coverage are sparking calls for a boycott that has already caused some advertisers to flee.

The changes, under a new marketing slogan, “America is watching”, are intended to highlight the channel’s news operations but come as advertisers are increasingly wary of repeated scandals around its opinion show hosts’ political bias.

In recent months, dozens of advertisers have pulled their ads from Fox shows, threatening to reduce Fox’s access to the lifeblood of advertising revenue, a trend that may accelerate in the wake of several recent, polarizing events.

Last week, a New Yorker story laid out how Fox’s close ties to the Trump administration had led some to accuse it of being a propaganda outlet for administration officials. That was followed by back-to-back incidents involving two of Fox’s most politically unyielding hosts, Jeanine Pirro and Tucker Carlson.

Pirro, a former New York prosecutor, accused Ilhan Omar, the Democratic representative from Minnesota, of placing Sharia law above recognition of constitutional rights, a clearly offensive overreach that Fox News itself publicly condemned in a statement.

Meanwhile, the Fox host Tucker Carlson has been forced to respond to radio recordings he made to the shock jock Bubba the Love Sponge 10 years ago in which he described women as “extremely primitive” and defended the now convicted polygamous child sexual abuser Warren Jeffs.

The recordings, released by the progressive media watchdog Media Matters for America, led to a social media campaign urging Fox to dismiss Carlson and calling on advertisers to drop their support of the show.........
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Fox: ugliness; pushback; ad revenue issues

I think Fox (so called) News is the biggest threat to this country that we have seen. I'm not ready to want to kill free speech, but we might need to come up with a way to legally or at least more clearly distinguish opinion from news. This is a propaganda machine, clear and simple. But what do we do about it? I'm sure the righties will say it is no different than the left biased news outlets, but I really don't think they are equivalent. Fox has a symbiotic relationship with this administration which is giving way too much power to the Executive Branch and is harmful to our democracy.

Ron, I think the biggest difference between Fox and the Left biased news sources is that the left news sources present FACTS whereas Fox just blatantly tells lies. Carlson, LIES. Hannity, LIES. That's all they do.

Like you, I am all about free speech. But freedom of speech does not mean you can say whatever you want, whenever you want, to whomever you want. The intent of free speech is to allow citizens to be critical of those who govern them without fear of reprisal from said governors. Its what this country is built on, one of the things that truly makes it great, and interestingly enough something that someone who claims to want to make the country great, wants to do away with. Funny that.

Personally, I say we deal with it the capitalistic way. Let the market decide. If those of us are tired of the lies of Fox Corp. and encourage those who fund them to stop doing so by voting with our dollars, then they will have two choices...continue supporting Fox and cease to exist, or act in their best interests and tell Fox to take a hike. It worked with Alex Jones. It can work with Fox too. I would suspect the viewership is largely the same.

I'm not sure letting the market decide will work in this case. Fox News has a big market advantage by having the Administration support it while they demean other outlets as fake. I am always amazed at how many public places will have Fox News tuned in for their customers; airports, hotel lobbies, restaurants, and as I mentioned in another thread, while at a karaoke bar in a major resort at Cancun Mexico last week, the large screen over the stage had Fox News on (altho fortunately muted) during the entire show.

Yes, an unregulated market almost inevitably turns twisted and dysfunctional. (and, inversely, a well-regulated market seems to be the best mechanism for structuring economies humans have managed to invent)

But don't call on the genius of the marketplace when the appropriate regulations are lacking. When we allow vested interests to call what is actually slander, libel, deep pockets, and other sorts of misinformation... 'free speech'. It doesn't work. History shows that, and only a concerted and sustained propaganda effort keeps 'the average voter' from fully knowing it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The USSC has a lot to answer for, corporations as persons, yet you can't send their whole boards to jail. Lies for personal political advantage as free speech.
    If your top judicial body is bent, then it all is.

Free speech may exempt slander, libel, hate speech, etc., but it does not exempt lying. And rightly so, because lying may be inadvertent or misconstrued. But lying about provable facts and calling it news should be somehow constrained.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Free speech may exempt slander, libel, hate speech, etc., but it does not exempt lying. And rightly so, because lying may be inadvertent or misconstrued. But lying about provable facts and calling it news should be somehow constrained.
    I call BS Ron. If it is indeed 'inadvertent' then swift retraction is a cure. If misconstrued then likewise there is a channel for explanation.

The Net is an amazing resource of facts, but also is likewise a resource for misinformation and plain propaganda. One of the inventors' last week said the Net was in it's adolescence, with all the problems that entails. Being governed by mostly old men does not help, as most I would say do not have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I call BS Ron. If it is indeed 'inadvertent' then swift retraction is a cure. If misconstrued then likewise there is a channel for explanation.
    Maybe my examples aren’t the best, but my point is simply that trying to outlaw lying may be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Maybe my examples aren’t the best, but my point is simply that trying to outlaw lying may be problematic.
    Lying for personal and political gain. View it as a commercial prospectus. Lying in a prospectus is fraud and misrepresentation.It can attract jail time and is fraud. Treat political lying the same way, the subsequent Electoral Contract being based on lies and being fraudulent declared null and void.

Write a letter to a Fox advertiser telling them that they're on the black list until they no longer advertise there. Write one a week, encourage your friends to do the same. In the words of Arlo Guthrie, "Its a movement". Get enough people involved and Fox would disappear.
    It wouldn't take a long time either.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Here is a list of Fox News advertisers:

• Liberty Mutual
    • Capital One
    • Geico
    • Sandals Hotel/Resort
    • Nutrisystem
    • Novo Nordisk
    • Progressive
    • NewDay USA
    • Sheex
    • Qunol
    • Allstate
    • Autograph Collection Hotel/Resort
    • Publishers Clearing House
    • Sleep Number
    • Ensure
    • Carvana Local Dealer
    • Homeadvisor
    • Lear Capital
    • SharkNinja
    • Celgene
    • Jewelry Exchange Store
    • USAA
    • Aleve
    • Hulu
    • Omaha Steaks
    • HomeToGo.com
    • Esurance
    • Lincoln
    • 23andMe
    • Ancestry.com
    • IHOP
    • Land Rover
    • Smile Direct Club
    • Proctor & Gamble
    • Bayer

This list was originally posted October 29, 2018. It was last updated on February 4, 2019

Advertisers lost so far --

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/n...164806323.html

A total of 34 companies—by Media Matters’ count—have cut ties in recent months as a result of numerous comments Carlson has made on his show and elsewhere. In December, Carlson suggested that immigrants made the U.S. “poorer and dirtier,” leading companies such as Pacific Life Insurance, IHOP, and NerdWallet to pause advertising. Outback Steakhouse followed suit in January.

For his part, Carlson released a comment refusing to apologize. “Media Matters caught me saying something naughty on a radio show more than a decade ago,” Carlson wroteon Twitter. “Rather than express the usual ritual contrition, how about this: I’m on television every weeknight live for an hour. If you want to know what I think, you can watch. Anyone who disagrees with my views is welcome to come on and explain why.”
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Advertisers lost so far --

A total of 34 companies—by Media Matters’ count—have cut ties in recent months as a result of numerous comments Carlson has made on his show and elsewhere...

For his part, Carlson released a comment refusing to apologize. “Media Matters caught me saying something naughty on a radio show more than a decade ago,” Carlson wroteon Twitter. “Rather than express the usual ritual contrition, how about this: I’m on television every weeknight live for an hour. If you want to know what I think, you can watch. Anyone who disagrees with my views is welcome to come on and explain why. You will be edited and your actual disagreement will never be aired but go ahead, make my day”
    Ftfy