Thread: A Classic Ship-Yacht

Default A Classic Ship-Yacht

I've posted a few photos over the years of cruises on Seawolf, a 1956 ocean-going tug turned into a yacht. This is an article published last year in BOAT about her story in recent years, and owner.

Those engines once towed 2 surplus aircraft carriers, in tandem, around Cape Horn to Japan to be scrapped -- east-to-west!

https://www.boatinternational.com/lu...seawolf--39453

Yacht_SeaWolf____20170722_003238_5016x3762_4.1-MB-1.jpg

Default Re: A Classic Ship-Yacht

I spent time aboard, and did some minor work for, Seawolf when she was lying in St. Vincent off-season in the late '90's. A lovely ship.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I remember her as a working girl - in the mid seventies I worked for the London law firm - Constant and Constant - who acted for both Smits and Matsas (who bought her) doing Lloyd’s Form salvage cases. I recall that for some reason Smits renamed her from “Clyde” to “Smit Salvor”. Smit had a class of tugs named after rivers - I recall the “Clyde”, the “Thames” and the “Elbe”.

The generic problem with a salvage tug as a superyacht is that she won’t have that much accommodation and she will surely need stabilisers. They all roll like pigs but the gold medal for rolling went to Bugsier’s “Pacific”.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

She rolls, yes, but has stabilizers, and I wouldn't call it excessive. The crew do their best to keep the ride smooth.

Often the plan is to cruise at night and explore a new place each day, depending on the locale.

The owner has it very nicely set up for a dozen or so friends to join him, plus the crew.

i'd be happy with her stuart knockabout
    lovely daysailors
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I must boast here as I have sailed with several MAN engines ranging from a Polish built Halberstadt-MAN, a Hayashikani-MAN in a Jap. whale-chaser to a Dutch passenger ship with twin in line 10cyl. 4 stroke MAN's. they were all good engines too, despite their age and 1950's designs.