Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what would you do if a person on social media sent you a threat?

Default Re: what would you do if a person on social media sent you a threat?

I've mentioned it before - but about 25 years ago I took some suicide prevention training for social services staff. We learned that while a person who re-attempts frequently will use more "certain" means in their later instances than their former ones ... that a majority of people who survive serious suicide attempts express gratitude that they didn't "complete" it. And go on in their lives without subsequent suicide attempts.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    that a majority of people who survive serious suicide attempts express gratitude that they didn't "complete" it. And go on in their lives without subsequent suicide attempts.
    i have heard that this is especially true with people who have survived an attempt by jumping off a tall bridge or building or cliff. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

That I don't know. My late granny and her equally late and lamented sister Dot had a great story about such remorse. Tottering down the sidewalk near the Assiniboine river one freezing Winnipeg morning, they heard some calls for help from the other side of the thicket. Sure enough, a 20-something man had tied himself up and jumped off a bridge a bit upstream ... and the rush of icy water had given him second thoughts. Between them the two old sisters had only 1 eye that really functioned and three legs - but somehow they scrambled through the muck and bush and brambles to the river, and fished this nude-except-for-the-rope man out of the drink with their canes. They weren't strong enough to haul him out further than just the riverbank, so Gran peeled off her little-old-woman shearling lamb coat and tried to cover this guy while she fought with the knots in the rope. Meanwhile the indomitable Aunt Dot limped back to the sidewalk and trundled away for help as quick as her spinster's orthopedic shoes would allow. The guy survived, stunned and ashamed to have been rescued by two tiny women in their mid 80s who might have themselves died from the exertion.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Some people have made it a lifestyle to threat with suicide just as a way of pushing other people around. Pushing people around is the primary goal.......... and sometimes they do half hearted suicide attempts just to make others feel sorry for them so they can gain power to push people around even more.

Others are actually mentally ill and both need and deserve all help they can ever get to overcome a depression. Depression is a serious thing and can strike anyone and the risk seems to increase the more ruhlesslly individualistic society one lives in. Ignoring such suicidal thoughs may result in the unnecsessary death or disablement of a person who with just a little help at the right stage could have come back to good mental health and a both happy and productive life as a part of society.

It is hard to tell the two sorts apart at first glance........ I would talk to whatever suicide prevention group there is locally and to the family and friends of the potential victim.
    Recieving help is a often a serious punishment for the first cathegory and a positive life changer for the second cathegory.

I have no edication on this I have just happened to know both types well enough to see behing the curtain.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Who is it?
    Best to make it public.
    Because perhaps someone else can help...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Say on an internet forum for instance. What would you do if a person on a forum that you know to be a real person sent you a threat, that due to one or more of your own postings, they had decided that they were going to harm themselves? Maybe even kill themselves?
    Did he threaten to sue you posthumously?
    Rattling the teacups.

I have a bit of a contrary opinion. My view is that a person has the right to make end of life decisions as long as those decisions don't harm others. So I guess I would suggest the person talk the decision over with immediate family (spouse, dependent children) before going ahead. Beyond that it is their decision particularly if they had no immediate family.

I have dealt with suicide twice - my father when I was 9 and my step-father when I was 59. Neither discussed it with anyone. In my father's case his decision harmed my mother and the three kids (I am the oldest) and it would have been better for the family if he had not gone ahead. In my step-father's case he was 89 and in very poor health, so it was his decision to make since it didn't harm anyone beyond normal feelings of loss at the death of an elderly family member.
    Last edited by Todd D; 03-13-2019 at 01:05 PM.

We are trained to treat every suicide threat as real.

Contact the relevant authorities closet to the person's address. I would rather be a pest to the LEO than do nothing and find out the threat was genuine.

Try to de-escalate the situation, stay in contact and Talk. Talk until you are hoarse, till your fingertips are bleeding.

Maybe, maybe not, but, you try.

call the cops.. because they _never_ kill anyone on a wellness check.. and self threats are _always_ real.

hint: both of those are untrue.

I also think, btw, that a person has the "right" to end their own life - and more than that, I can certainly envision instances when someone can understand it to be their very best choice. But rather like when (and how) someone's life begins, when (and how) someone's life ends affects any number of people in circles of influence that they themselves aren't in a position to fully see. And often, IMO, even the "medical assistance in dying" model is very frequently better understood as the lack of access to or knowledge about effective palliative care. It's a choice made in response to a very understandable fear, but one which may not be the only choice to address that fear. I also think, btw, that the society's cultural approach to medicine is wrongheaded - that it's a model predicated on ultimately trying to prolong life to the point of "curing" death, rather than enabling a person to have a fruitful life and a "good" death. A "good death" isn't either failure or escape, but completion.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I also think, btw, that a person has the "right" to end their own life - and more than that, I can certainly envision instances when someone can understand it to be their very best choice. But rather like when (and how) someone's life begins, when (and how) someone's life ends affects any number of people in circles of influence that they themselves aren't in a position to fully see. And often, IMO, even the "medical assistance in dying" model is very frequently better understood as the lack of access to or knowledge about effective palliative care. It's a choice made in response to a very understandable fear, but one which may not be the only choice to address that fear. I also think, btw, that the society's cultural approach to medicine is wrongheaded - that it's a model predicated on ultimately trying to prolong life to the point of "curing" death, rather than enabling a person to have a fruitful life and a "good" death. A "good death" isn't either failure or escape, but completion.
    What when in the case of 'momo' and 'online bullying', etc, it unduly influences the individual and drives down the suicide avenue?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

I think that in most cases, mental distress is a reaction to sh#tty actual community and connections with people. And that in most cases, the truly effective remedy is fairly unsentimental but rigorous love. That includes folks bullied online or in person, folks undergoing grief or breakups or medical catastrophe, folks experiencing financial ruin or windfall. Unselfish, unequivocal, and ruthlessly impartially applied love. Which will not incidentally not always be experienced by those involved as warm and fuzzy.

^ Boy, Howdy!

Paul, could this person just be jerkin' your chain? Is there anything in their past behavior to lend credence to this threat?
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    That's not what Paul said. He said the person sent him a message in which they threatened to harm themselves.

The thread title suggests they sent “him” ( using “you” ) a threat.
    It seems a mixed message to me.

Maybe it was Trump, Then you’d say “Go for it! “ right ???

A message to you threatening to harm themselves is eithe a cry for help or an attempt to make you do something. On the net you can never tell.

I suppose it depends on whom (if you actually know of course) and if you care.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i have heard that this is especially true with people who have survived an attempt by jumping off a tall bridge or building or cliff. . .

If you visit the Empire State Building, there is a placard detailing the account of a woman in the 50s who jumped off the top and the wind blew her onto a ledge10 stories down. They pulled her in. She survived and was reported to be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    If you visit the Empire State Building, there is a placard detailing the account of a woman in the 50s who jumped off the top and the wind blew her onto a ledge10 stories down. They pulled her in. She survived and was reported to be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I heard that.

Didn't she die in an elevator failure a few months later?

I may be mixing two stories together.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I heard that.

Didn't she die in an elevator failure a few months later?

I may be mixing two stories together.
    Evita Adams, nothing is known of her eventual fate.
    Nosce te ipsum

So, what did you do? Difficult position to be in...... Record it and share it with Admin for a start I'm sure. Have you thought of a way to help this person?

I'm still trying to figure out why 20 something girls without many clothes on are asking to be my friend on face book.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why 20 something girls without many clothes on are asking to be my friend on face book.
    Only 20 of 'em?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

careful bobby, sounds like a booby trap
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by paul pless View Post
    careful booby, sounds like a bobby trap
    ftfy
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    I guess they saw that I was your friend too

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I thought the OP was a serious post and payed attention because I was curious about what good answers might come.
    As it turns out, most of you are a bunch of insensitive dick heads.
    Sam Bach