Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would you do if a person on social media sent you a threat?

Default what would you do if a person on social media sent you a threat?

Say on an internet forum for instance. What would you do if a person on a forum that you know to be a real person sent you a threat, that due to one or more of your own postings, they had decided that they were going to harm themselves? Maybe even kill themselves?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: what would you do if a person on social media sent you a threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Say on an internet forum for instance. What would you do if a person on a forum that you know to be a real person sent you a threat, that due to one or more of your own postings, they had decided that they were going to harm themselves? Maybe even kill themselves?
    So they threatened you , by saying they would harm themselves ?

That’s kind of confusing, really?
    You should call a suicide prevention hot line to report the other person is a threat to themselves ??

Hope this isn’t your cry for help , you’re screwed!

this isn't my cry for help

Your motto may be, "eff the police," but I would call the cops in the persons's zip code, if known, and tell them what you typed in the OP.They will be the agency quickest to find and respond and report on this person.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Depends upon who it is whether you tell him to go for it or do not do it. Simple!
    Who is it? Start a poll!

So much on the internet is manufactured emotion (just look around here) with folk giving vent to stuff they'd never spew out in person, in a real relationship, that my first reaction would likely be to disengage. Let things de-escalate.

Variables to consider include:

- Was the suicide threat made on an open forum or by some form of private messaging?

- Was the suicide threat in response to a general message for the whole forum or to something I'd written directly (open forum or PM) to the person?

- Was there anything hurtful (to a reasonable person) in whatever provoked all this?

- Do I actually know, have a relationship with even if purely internet, the person?

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    Depends upon who it is whether you tell him to go for it or do not do it. Simple!
    Who is it? Start a poll!
    Where’s Ozzie been? With the speaker saying no collusion, so no impeachment it could be Ozzie who’s gone off the deep end! 😂

Fart!
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

I don't know, man. The two suicides I've dealt with in the past 8 months were just, BAM! I talked to one of the dudes hours before.

I may be tempted in your case to copy and send the messages to the moderator, and possibly some LEO, but I don't know who. Mayhaps the moderator would be able to place the member in contact with a hotline?

I don't know, man.

Peace,
    Robert

Tough one, hard to judge the sincerity of such a threat. To be safe, one almost has to assume it's a real threat.

It's a bit like a bomb scare, in forum terms. Anybody who would wield such a threat, either sincerely or simply to manipulate, shouldn't be trusted.

I might offer to delete the post(s) that caused such grief, and make an effort to avoid interacting with that person in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    So they threatened you , by saying they would harm themselves ?
    That's not what Paul said. He said the person sent him a message in which they threatened to harm themselves.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-13-2019 at 09:10 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I have many threats mostly people wishing for me to engage in sexual intercourse with my self.

I keep asking for directions but so far nothing.

Now, I tell ya, what kind of threat is that?

If they said were going to harm themselves - you have to call their local authorities.

if their threat said were coming to harm you - you have an obligation to warm others of thier intention. They would have to be outed and reported. A threat on line is a threat. For many on forums or other social media platforms - it is a real life with thier actual personas.

as for you directly - you and yours are easy to find and must protect yourself from the threat.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    I have many threats mostly people wishing for me to engage in sexual intercourse with my self.

I keep asking for directions but so far nothing.

Now, I tell ya, what kind of threat is that?
    That isn’t a threat but a good business opportunity. you shouldn’t be asking for directions, you should be selling admission to that event.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Take them seriously, because the risk is too awful if you don't. If you know their rough location, try to make contact with relevant social services agencies/authorities in their region - and perhaps respond to the individual's pm with contact info for such resources. There's not a person on this board who I'd wish were in such despair, with no windows to climb out. I'm sure the same's true of you, Paul.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

(I am no expert, and I am somewhat of an asshat.)
    Experience with my family and close friends suffering from suicidal thoughts is:
    If someone is determined to commit suicide, you cannot stop them and it is not your fault if they succeed. However, it will haunt you a long time if they cried for help and ignored it.

I don't know how I would react if an internet persona reached out to me.

Jack
    Jack
    Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    I have many threats mostly people wishing for me to engage in sexual intercourse with my self. I keep asking for directions but so far nothing...
    There are probably websites that could help you out, but I dunno personally.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    There are probably websites that could help you out, but I dunno personally.
    Bobby as we always comment needs to work on his flexibility. He has proven to have excellent refractory periods which cause him to come back for more.

I have to agree with the consensus so far. Err on the side of plausible deniability. I mean safety.

And P, for godsakes, quit posting that inflammatory crap.

Trying to lighten the mood. I feel a TMI post coming on.
    No number six.

Inflammatory crap? Fart.

Inflammatory crap? Fart.
    Not inflammable crap...

Peace,
    Inflammable Means Flammable? Who Knew?...

I happened to mutter, purely in a sort of black mood rhetoric, but in the hearing of a city employee, that I was going to kill myself. The story has a happy ending, but it led me to remember other stuff appropriate to the OP topic, more or less.

There's more, should I go on. It gets better.
    No number six.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Inflammable Means Flammable? Who Knew?...
    Some things are too dangerous to risk labelling errors. (In)flammable crap perhaps tops the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    ..There's more, should I go on. It gets better.
    Yes, you should go on.

Yes, you should go on.
    As in 'we'd love to hear you play, Over the Hills and Faraway.'

Okay, since you insist.

A dozen years ago, here at the house, I was finishing the front porch construction, and as the city building inspector was leaving, with everything fine and hunky dory permit- and construction-wise, the fact was that I was in one of my bipolar black mood, slow burns over something else entirely, but I had to open my big stupid mouth and add at the end of my comment to him as he was leaving, something like '...and then I'm gonna fcking kill myself.' Supposed to be under my breath, a mutter, not to be taken as a serious statement.

Then, totally out of the blue it seemed, about twenty minutes after the city inspector left hearing that comment, a cop car drives up and a pair of them get out and come up the driveway. They wanted to know my name, what I was doing, was I the owner of the house, and was I armed or carrying anything that would stick them etc. And they implied that they were going to take me somewhere to watch me so I couldn't hurt myself. They didn't handcuff me or anything but it sure started to feel like a distinct possibility.

I've been handcuffed once before for my own protection. It was at the culmination of the wild, manic delusional ride that led to a seventy-two hour hold and my diagnosis for bipolar. I don't ever want to go through that again. I got my act together enough in the moment mood-wise to satisfy them and they left. I don't remember if She was home to vouch for me or not.

Believe it or not, on the evening news just a week or two ago, a young person was killed, shot by cops who responded to a domestic disturbance call, when his parents had called to say he was not stable and threatening to harm himself.

The cops showed up with the red flashers on and drew weapons like it was a hostage situation, and when he wouldn't cooperate and lay down his weapon, they shot and killed him.
    No number six.

please continue jim

Some things are too dangerous to risk labelling errors. (In)flammable crap perhaps tops the list.
    It's one of my favorite "Dr. Nick" lines. I love Dr. Nick.

Peace,
    Hello, Everybody!

I hope whoever it is... is not actually a danger to themselves (or others). But, I agree, one has to respond as if the threat is serious. Any idea why they chose to share that info with you? Do they view you as the proximate cause of their troubles?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Inflammatory crap? Fart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    That isn’t a threat but a good business opportunity. you shouldn’t be asking for directions, you should be selling admission to that event.
    Unfortunately I have small feet ......

...Then, totally out of the blue it seemed, about twenty minutes after the city inspector left hearing that comment, a cop car drives up and a pair of them get out and come up the driveway. They wanted to know my name, what I was doing, was I the owner of the house, and was I armed or carrying anything that would stick them etc. And they implied that they were going to take me somewhere to watch me so I couldn't hurt myself. They didn't handcuff me or anything but it sure started to feel like a distinct possibility.
    Yeah, in some places that's the drill. Truly inconvenient whether (as in your case) the comment was a throwaway ... or (as in others') it wasn't.
    ... The cops showed up with the red flashers on and drew weapons like it was a hostage situation, and when he wouldn't cooperate and lay down his weapon, they shot and killed him.
    Folks not clear on the concept. Shyte.

I happened to mutter, purely in a sort of black mood rhetoric, but in the hearing of a city employee, that I was going to kill myself. The story has a happy ending, but it led me to remember other stuff appropriate to the OP topic, more or less.

There's more, should I go on. It gets better.
    If it's any consolation here we just had a city official arrested, he was in a domestic dispute and when the cops came he assaulted the police, bi polar, you know it's bad when the police dont give a break to a city worker.

Make an effort. Then detach.

I think you have to imagine yourself 24 hours from now and learning they carried through with the threat. There’s your answer.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Not exactly the same situation, but my wife received a letter from her estranged brother telling her to drive 8hrs to his house to find his body. She immediately called the cops, and they found him in his garage, sitting in the car with the engine running, and he was saved.

I too vote for the “err on the side of caution” — the risk of doing nothing are too great.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    I think you have to imagine yourself 24 hours from now and learning they carried through with the threat. There’s your answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    Not exactly the same situation, but my wife received a letter from her estranged brother telling her to drive 8hrs to his house to find his body. She immediately called the cops, and they found him in his garage, sitting in the car with the engine running, and he was saved.

I too vote for the “err on the side of caution” — the risk of doing nothing are too great.

Tom
    this.
    Nosce te ipsum