Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this yach? A good buy?

Default Re: What do you think of this yach? A good buy?

Tramps are cheap, that's the main attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post

Tramps are cheap, that's the main attraction.
    If you have free health care...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Hold your sea horses people, only 1 sleep untill i see with eyeballs the full scope of things.

That rig is as good as it gets on a boat of that vintage. Jib (genoa) on a furler with plank bowsprit, self tacking staysail with wishbone, fisherman with wishbone on mast track, mizzen staysail with wishbone, mizzen sail on conventional boom. Google pictures of "wishbone staysail ketch" to see how it looks with sails up. Only reason to have that rig on that boat is single-handing or short-hand racing.
    Converting to junk would be a major undertaking because that boat is not engineered to take two freestanding masts.

Questions to ask the owner:
    How was she buildt, what is she fastened with, what and where is the ballast? Is she sheated? If yes polyester or epoxy? When was the last antifouling applied? Is the mooring included or can it be taken over? Is there other equipment not present on the boat included?
    Take pictures, lots of pictures.

See, that's the thing. If you knew anything at all about the subject at hand you would never even consider going to look at this tired old heap of trouble. With all the obvious water damage inside the boat (which is a real WTF situation) you would be an absolute fool to saddle yourself with that pig and the various liabilities that are going to come with it.

I live on the opposite side of the world from that boat, and yet I could still smell the stench of rot in that cabin when I looked at the photos. Even if a boat that big is somehow necessary, there are much better choices out there.
    -Dave

So what everyone seems to saying is Buy the boat!

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Canvas - have you ever built a boat?
    How competent do you think you'll be at the hundreds of little decisions to be made along the way?
    All that very rotten deck will very likely mean rotten frames at the keel. Thats not easy work and I would not do it on the water.
    I think that's a laid deck that's been painted over.

You could do it. If you attempt it on the water you will not finish it - guaranteed.
    Add $5k to crane it out and put it back. $100 to $150 a week for yard fees for minimum 2 years ($14k) - if you have all the tools you need and are handy with them. And fit enough to run up and down a ladder every 20mins for 10 hours a day saturdays and sundays.
    That motor in the ebay pictures is a bloody big paper weight I'd guess. Thats $12k at least.
    Blue water - I'd really consider replacing the standing rigging. Probably $15k for that boat.

On Saturday, pull up the floor board at the lowest pint in the bilge and stick your finger nail in the frames and the keel. If they are soft you workload has shot up and you're possibly looking at a hopeless case.
    Get them to turn over the motor, though the battery, if it exists, is probably dead - no sign of a solar panel anywhere that i noticed. Though bilge pump must be working....

$6k purchase, $5k crane, $14k yard fee, $12k motor, $15k = close to $55k before you've bought a tool, a stick of wood, a block or a rope.
    Add $20k in materials. Then electrics and all the instruments you may need. Running rigging. And now your very close to $100k and you still have all the physical work to do. Then you need to fit it out for living, mattresses, lights, plumbing....
    There's a very real point where it's easier and cheaper to build a new boat of the same size than repair an old one.

I'd take it on if she was a boat of significance, i had a shed big enough, no time pressures, no kids and their weekend activities to facilitate, and a spare $20k or $30k a year to through at it. With shed, I'd give myself 5 years, aiming for probably 7, with a pretty basic finish. And wanted to waste a whole lot of my time not sailing a perfectly fine boat i could have bought for the same money.
    But i think I'd be asking for the owners to crane it out and deliver it, and give it to me for free. The $2.5k they'll spend delivering it will be cheaper than what they'll need to pay to dispose of it (it can't undertake a voyage as it is - RMS will want it off the mooring soon if they find out ).
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Timber deck laid over with plywood and then fiberglass.

My hope is that its just the side of cabin, the ply/glass layer and the odd other element that can be patched replaced or given epoxy wood treatment, if rot is not structural. Like 5%.

the seller states it could be a months work. He may be right. It could be ......?

the boat was taken out of water 4 years ago and antifouled and given the ok.

so wood doesnt rott underwater in a hurry.
    seller states 99.9% ok above water.

anyway, everyone seems to lov3 the boat and really really wants me to buy it, so ill definitly check it tom, take loads of pics, and follow everones suggestions. Try and really dig into it as much as possible. Seller sent photo from 4 years ago. After anti foul. Sent short video beforehand but not sure if i can upload. But it seems to show below water as ok.
    DF59CEAD-E7A8-4183-BCE0-186E709A0B35.jpg

Default What do you think of this yach? A good buy?

It's fresh water that kills the boat.
    Rain getting in and trickling down into the bilge is your killer. Teak over ply
    4 years is a long time between hauls. Some here haul twice a year. I get nervous if I go over 12 months.

It's be very interesting to know if the bilge pump is working. If not, and the bilge is dry, could mean no water getting in, sound hull and deck not as bad as it looks.

That staysail rig is perfectly fine to handle single handed, with self steering, in my opinion. I like that rig, it's looks great fully set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Canvas - have you ever built a boat?
    How competent do you think you'll be at the hundreds of little decisions to be made along the way?
    All that very rotten deck will very likely mean rotten frames at the keel. Thats not easy work and I would not do it on the water.
    I think that's a laid deck that's been painted over.

You could do it. If you attempt it on the water you will not finish it - guaranteed.
    I have been a builder for about 15 years. Have done many timber timber projects such as building cedar sash windows, cabinetry, desks, cupboards, tables, etc, repaired many things.

Interestingly i started using epoxy wood treatment designed for boats on my external timber ends and faces exposed to weather, and under paint such as cedar weatherboards, i must have known ill be working in wooden boats.

i was trained by a tasmanian craftsman from age 9 to use timber. Lathe work, cabinetry, sculpture, etc so timberwork has been ‘ingrained’ in my little head.

I havent built a boat but i have renovated a 12’ houn pine clinker that took a month and most of the flesh from my fingers, i made some additions out of houn, such as filling in the seat area to make a platform and back rest, so rupert murdocks nephew nat handbry could meditate on his large man mad lake!
    so i have had a taste of work.
    As a builder ive learnt to be fearless in the face of large overwhelming projects. However i have also avoided large orojects and stuck to small renovations and boutique crafty stuff.
    At the monent im teaching myself to weld by taking on a large welding job at the woolarah yacht club in sydney.
    i dont know, im a bit crazy i suppose, i like going against the odds.
    But still, tomorrow we will see.
    Seller is pretty helpful with moorings etc. vast know,edge and network.

I know nothing.

Andy

Alparenty, after talking today, no leaks.

Ps gypsy whats a laid deck.?

I'll be disappointed if you don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'll be disappointed if you don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by canvas to the wind! View Post
    Hold your sea horses people, only 1 sleep untill i see with eyeballs the full scope of things.
    Be sure to wear a PFD

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Take cash. Buy the boat. Give it a lick of paint. That car body filler stuff is like almost magic. Get a bit of sailing in before winter. Then maybe a couple of weekends with some mates through winter and she'll be ready for Hobart. It'll be great. Better than great. Totally amazing.

I believe we are being played with, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    I believe we are being played with, folks.
    Why, not at all, its a serious thread, having funis serious business, removing it is ghastly!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Take cash. Buy the boat. Give it a lick of paint. That car body filler stuff is like almost magic. Get a bit of sailing in before winter. Then maybe a couple of weekends with some mates through winter and she'll be ready for Hobart. It'll be great. Better than great. Totally amazing.

pure sarcasm!

I grew up in hobart, i would love to sail around tassie, do they still do the blocky in v8 toranas?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Be sure to wear a PFD

very funny

I could always ripp the engine out and make it electric, change to rope rigging, and anything else that freaks people out

Quote Originally Posted by canvas to the wind! View Post
    very funny
    Not really...

Canvas to the wind,

I don't want to take the wind out of your sails, but from what I've seen in the pictures you should pass this up and wait for the right boat. This one isn't it, you'll know the right one when you see it.

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0 View Post
    Canvas to the wind,

I don't want to take the wind out of your sails, but from what I've seen in the pictures you should pass this up and wait for the right boat. This one isn't it, you'll know the right one when you see it.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Lots of comments about peoples own limitations and judging others abilities by their own. Perhaps, possibly this is just the right person for this boat? Just saying.

And then there's Leo, who knew boat building and boats quite well, and still found that Tally Ho was a bigger and more expensive project than he imagined. But, of course, he is exactly the right guy for the job and is soldiering on with it. He is also, of course, bringing back a boat with real pedigree. But how many Leos are there?

If you haven't seen these videos, Canvas, it might be instructive to see what happens when you start digging into an old neglected boat.
    -Dave

He just wants a junk rig, doesn't matter what its on 😄. how much sailing experience do you have ole son?

I always thought my next boat would be a ketch rig, from what I understand, you get shorter masts more choice of sail, I turned 70 last July, not kidding anyone but myself, the next boat?
    I I'll be lucky if I even finish the restoration on the Delaware Ducker sitting in my yard lol.

Single-handing a larger boat isn't a terrible thing if someone understands the logic they need to apply for layout of lines, halyards, winches, etc.

4 years on a mooring....

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Not a free boat, but I still think this applies...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...e-Wooden-Boats

You sound like you have the skills mate. And probably the tools. But that is a lot of boat, and a lot of work and a lot of money.
    It'll be a popular build thread over the years it takes to refurb. There's plenty of helpful knowledge here, and some not so helpful.

It'd be great if you took it on. As a learning project, we'll there's jump right in and there's throwing yourself into the void.

Where would you do the work?
    You cannot do that work on a mooring. RMS won't allow it, and it's logistically extremely difficult. A private jetty is a small improvement. No marina will let you do it. A yard is okay if you can tarp it well, but something under cover is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Canvas to the Wind, I know this mat be more up front than you're interested in, but she certainly has the volume, is lower maintenance (fiberglass) and looks to be a pretty good deal to someone willing to invest some time. 'Course, it's in the States and would entail a whole level of taxes, titles, etc to get it down to Oz, not to mention the airline ticket and the time getting her seaworthy and sailing back home, but...
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/b...836652865.html
    00505_72SaDXaXFyR_1200x900.jpg

Canvas to the wind,

This boat is completely rotten, it is a horrible idea to buy this boat. Find a boat that is not rotten or at least not the whole boat.

I think they must have gone out for a sail. It's late afternoon now.

Well it's was much worse in person.
    So sad.
    Beautiful boat
    only if free and I had a yard

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Hey Canvas to the Wind, I know this mat be more up front than you're interested in, but she certainly has the volume, is lower maintenance (fiberglass) and looks to be a pretty good deal to someone willing to invest some time. 'Course, it's in the States and would entail a whole level of taxes, titles, etc to get it down to Oz, not to mention the airline ticket and the time getting her seaworthy and sailing back home, but...
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/bod/d/tacoma-westsail-ketch-great-

potential/6836652865.html

00505_72SaDXaXFyR_1200x900.jpg
    i believe these older ones are much stronger.
    I tell you, after today, I can understand the attraction of a rubber ducky
    the only way I could afford this is on a layaway with deposit.
    But size is good.