Thread: About to start building Jim Michalak "Blobster".

Default About to start building Jim Michalak "Blobster".

Hi everyone, I am back on this forum again after a couple of years doing other things. I am about to build a Jim Michalak "Blobster" sailboat. I wanted to build it a few years ago but I bought a TS16 instead which I got at a good price, so I have been honing my sailing skills and tinkering with that boat, as we all do.

But after a good discussion with Miles Bore, the builder of the first Blobster ever built (and still the only one I believe), I am about to make it build #2.

For those who haven't seen the Blobster, it's adapted from Jim Bolger's Micro, but without the heavy keel and a few refinements that make it a more user friendly boat for semi protected waters, like a walk-through bow and slot top cabin, so no climbing over the cabin to attend to rigging is required, ever!

Here is a YouTube clip of a walk-around of Miles Bore's boat.

Default Re: About to start building Jim Michalak "Blobster".

I await with anticipation.

I'm on board!
    -Dave

"we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

The performance difference you note between Blob and a TS16 will be interesting. From what i can see, Blob looks to be like a Scram Pram without the glass house. Scrams are reported to sail well, but Blobs bow does seem a little wider and lower, that might suit some sailing waters and not others. I have nothing but good things to say about Jims stuff, and no doubt many people have had succesfull first builds using his plans.

That looks exceptionally cool, though I might want a canvas or otherwise easily-removed closure for the bow just to keep the bulk of the powerboat wakes out.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    The performance difference you note between Blob and a TS16 will be interesting. From what i can see, Blob looks to be like a Scram Pram without the glass house. Scrams are reported to sail well, but Blobs bow does seem a little wider and lower, that might suit some sailing waters and not others. I have nothing but good things to say about Jims stuff, and no doubt many people have had succesfull first builds using his plans.
    I have corresponded with JM and he has confidence that in sailing mode where waves are generally encountered at an angle, and with the high bow rocker that the square bow will not be an issue. Under motor, where waves might be encountered head-on there might be some tendency to stall, but trimming with the bow up slightly should minimize this. The sole is ingeniously designed to give maximum lift rather than being a "wave carver"

The reports I have gotten from the only other builder of this boat is that it handles the rough stuff surprisingly well. But it is not intended to be a blue water cruiser.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    That looks exceptionally cool, though I might want a canvas or otherwise easily-removed closure for the bow just to keep the bulk of the powerboat wakes out.
    I thought of a gate at the front, but I am told that this is not likely to be needed. With the hull rocker and the freeboard at the lowest point of 8" that open bow is still quite high. And it is well drained.

I think I will wait until I have tested it in some rougher conditions before making the decision on this.

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    Yes. I think I will be having some interesting conversations at the boat ramp!

Well, I have started! Measured and cut out the mainsail over the weekend. 180gsm quality PE tarp. Right out of Jim Michalak's book!

20190316_182810.jpg
    Last edited by goanywhere777; 03-18-2019 at 01:39 PM.

So, over the last week I have finished marking out the plywood sheets, and cut out most of the bulkheads, and have begun framing them. I got the bow transom and Bulkhead 2 done. I'm using Titebond III wherever I can, which will be everything that is not likely to be immersed. I will use epoxy for all the glassing work, filleting and an easy sanding epoxy putty for filling cracks and little voids here and there.

20190324_173035.jpg 20190324_203809.jpg20190324_203915.jpg20190324_151740.jpg
    Last edited by goanywhere777; 03-25-2019 at 04:59 AM.

Can i ask if the sides use the total height of a 4ft sheet? I believe Scram did, i was wondering if there was any material left over top or bottom on a sheet?

Can i ask if the sides use the total height of a 4ft sheet? I believe Scram did, i was wondering if there was any material left over top or bottom on a sheet?
    Not quite. The highest is 3'. But the bilge panels on Blobster are a bit more steeply angled than on some other Jim Michakak designs I think.

Quote Originally Posted by goanywhere777 View Post
    Not quite. The highest is 3'. But the bilge panels on Blobster are a bit more steeply angled than on some other Jim Michakak designs I think.

Thanks for that. I have already got plans for Picara, modeled it and modified it a bit, but the permanent ballast almost double the weight over blob or scram......just thinking out loud as it were. Carry on!

Thanks for that. I have already got plans for Picara, modeled it and modified it a bit, but the permanent ballast almost double the weight over blob or scram......just thinking out loud as it were. Carry on!
    Picara is a nice boat. I considered that, but I like the walk through bow.

Following with interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book