Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips and tricks for laying down glass over ply.

Well after all that I completely forgot I was going to lay the glass on dry and use a roller.

Yesterday I did a saturation coat of epoxy, no glass, over the whole deck. That went well, good finish, no bubbles. I put it on with a roller designed for epoxy floor coating as I find that foam rollers tend to disintegrate. The roller left a lot of small bubbles which I had to brush out as I went. The only brush I had on board was a 1 inch chip brush. A bit small for the deck of a 50 footer but I got it done.

Today with Bruce helping we put some cloth at the back of the aft deck another on the starboard side deck. I used a grouting squeegee to spread epoxy, then laid the glass on that. Squeegeed it around a bit, poured on more epoxy, more squeegee, laid on peel ply, more squeegee then stepped away. Had a tough fight with a few bubbles and wrinkles and a bit if trouble with wind blowing overhanging cloth up onto the deck, but pretty happy with the result. Full sunshine, which was unavoidable, no bubbles, looks smooth, one dryish spot but that's on a bit of deck which will be cut out to fit the aft hatch.

Good enough for my first time.

Tomorrow I plan to try putting the glass on dry, and squeegeeing epoxy over it.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Laying the glass onto dry deck and then pouring and squeegeeing epoxy is much better

Bubbles. Not sure why. Only on one panel. I think they are between the glass and the peel ply. Maybe just too hot, this was the last panel we did, hot day, around midday, sun directly overhead. The morning work is OK. We stopped there as we ran out of peel ply, and quite a breeze comes up in the afternoon which makes things difficult. The glass itself doesn't seem to be standing up, so probably just some epoxy to sand off when I'm ready to remove the peel ply. We might have to do the rest of the deck in the early morning. Stop by about 10.00 am

Default Re: Tips and tricks for laying down glass over ply.

Probably a bit of gassing off, once you get the PP of have a good look at the glass. If there are white bubbly patches look a bit closer, if they are definitely not attached to the ply then cut them out and bog over. No need to glass again. Looks great! The big advantage of PP is not sanding for the filler coat so i suspect that those bubbles may be a bit shiny and will need a sand. No big deal, for the filler make a thin slurry with that microlite powder the tan coloured stuff cant remember the west number, it will make it a lot easier to fill the weave and sand down.
    whatever rocks your boat

Cheers Paul. Should be pretty easy to tidy up. So slightly disappointing but nothing major. We have cooler weather coming next week so hoping for better results as we move forward. Literally. Meanwhile I've started work on the foredeck, which I've been leaving for later. Got the genoa, anchor and winch off yesterday and I'll get on with removing deck today.

More progress with help from Bruce today. I did peel back a bit of the bubbled peel ply, all pretty good underneath. The glass is lying down flat and there's just a bit of raised epoxy around the edge of the bubbles. We got several acres of glass on today with no significant problems. There will be a bit if sanding to do at the overlaps, but nothing of concern.

Please go easy with sanding. It's just too easy to sand into the cloth when trying to fair overlaps. Looking good!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    Please go easy with sanding. It's just too easy to sand into the cloth when trying to fair overlaps. Looking good!
    I will take your advice very much to heart. The less sanding the better. A fairly thick textured deck finish, Kiwigrip is going over it so I'm not looking for super flat.

Report back. The deck is done and glassed. I used a roller to apply epoxy to the ply.

First attempt I laid glass over wet epoxy. Very difficult. It didn't want to lie flat. Wrinkles didn't want to float out. I used a rubber squeegee designed for grouting tiles. It was a good tool for wetting out the cloth. Peel ply was a challenge to get flat and bubble free on top of the glass, but eventually did smooth out.

Second attempt I put the glass over dry epoxy. Much easier. It laid out flat, poured epoxy on and squeegeed it. Good finish, easy job. Peel ply was still a bit difficult and the next day some bubbles, a lot of bubbles, had appeared in the peel ply we put on in the hottest part of the day. The glass underneath us OK, but there will be some excess epoxy to sand off.

The last section completed today I didn't bother with peel ply and it went in easy and produced a nice finish.A bit of weave, which is fine on a deck which will be finished with non skid.

All up I used about 50 metres of glass and I suppose 10 litres of epoxy. Hard to tell on the epoxy because I was building the deck as I went, glueing 2 layers of 9mm ply together. Used about 25 litres all up.

Thanks for the advice and experience along the way.

Next steps, fillets around cabins, undercoat everything, seal the shroud plate penetrations and then replace all the deck fittings. Then masking and non skid.

Then go sailing.

Happy

WOW!

yeah, she's gleaming, well done
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Nice.
    Why the boom around your neighbour?
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Nice work Phil - how did you go with the chain plate penetrations?
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    Nice.
    Why the boom around your neighbour?
    R
    It's some anti marine growth thing. There's netting under the boat. No idea how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Nice work Phil - how did you go with the chain plate penetrations?
    That's next.

Looks good!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Looks good!

Kevin
    Thanks