Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Tips and tricks for laying down glass over ply.

Sorry for the confusion, yes by laying it down I mean rolling it as opposed to spraying it, certainly not brushing it.

I’ve read so many forum threads on non-skid, it’s really just a matter of personal taste when it comes to yachts. Sand, walnut shells, second pint, sugar crystals, you name it and somebody has probably used it for non-skid!

Currently on my own boat I used thickened gel coat, and stippled it, kind of like a very permanent kiwi grip style of finish. But that is only because it was a gelcoat deck and I didn’t want to get into the painting cycle, however if I was going to paint I would do exactly what I am advising you to do which is two pot and non-skid particles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    whatever rocks your boat

And yes a short nap mohair roller is the perfect tool, it’s exactly what I have used in the past. And don’t scrimp on the non-skid particles! Also the coat that goes over the top can be well thinned. Don’t worry you’ll get the hang of it very quickly, and it’s very very easy to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    whatever rocks your boat

Thanks for the clarification Paul. Now, to find the sweet spot between skimping on the particles, and the beginners mistake of using too much! Maybe I'll go with kiwigrip after all!

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Well I'm back to where I thought I was a couple of weeks ago, but this time reasonably smooth. I decided I'd jumped the gun a bit with my first coats of primer, so I went back over some lumpy bits, in fact the whole deck, squeegeeing thickened epoxy, sanding, then more epoxy to fill the scraper marks then more sanding, and finally 2 coats of primer. I'm pretty happy with it now. Undercoat next, then gloss, then maybe put some deck fittings on, mask off and do the grit thing. On and on we go. I found 3 second hand hatches on gumtree, which is our version of Craigslist. I think a big one will go nicely over the main saloon, between the mast and the wheelhouse, and 2 small ones further forward either side, between the mast and the focsle. There used to be a traditional butterfly hatch, but I've nixed that.

Default Re: Tips and tricks for laying down glass over ply.

That looks great Phil, nice job!
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Looking pretty darned good!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Dry bunks, HUZZAH! Slick looking job.

More sanding today. Then undercoat. Then more sanding. Then the first gloss coat. And so on. And all the deck fittings to go back on at some stage along the way. A hundred opportunities to create leaks!

Don't quit now! Drill out those oversize holes, fill the cavity with a WEST and 404 filler, and drill and/or tap for your new screws and bolts.

To which of those various layers are you planning to bed your individual pieces? / Jim