Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SAT scam to get kids in college including Yale and Stamford. A long list of the rich

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default SAT scam to get kids in college including Yale and Stamford. A long list of the rich

Seriously, black eye on college admissions.

Default Re: SAT scam to get kids in college including Yale and Stamford. A long list of the r

"When there is an accumulation of money and power into fewer and fewer hands, people with the mentality of gangsters come to the fore."

Influence peddling and corruption never goes away. But there are times when it blossoms...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: SAT scam to get kids in college including Yale and Stamford. A long list of the r

Best and the brightest.

These schools often never give out failing grades either. They have the students withdraw after the failing semester is over and the record expunged.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Jeesh, Felicity Huffman.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Jeesh, Felicity Huffman.
    Desperate Housewife. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Lets see.
    1. Bribery
    2. Mail fraud
    3. Tax fraud

We are only missing using sex and it would make a great TV movie.
    "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man canít do." Captain Jack Sparrow

These schools will be hiring a lot of new sports coaches. Lots of heads will roll.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    These schools will be hiring a lot of new sports coaches. Lots of heads will roll.
    I hope so!!
    Tom

I would love to see how far back this goes
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Great name for the sting: Operation Varsity Blues

My college took a chance on me as a recruited athlete although I was on the waiting list for admission. I still wonder if a school administrator and/or coach pulled strings. No bribe, but still. https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...udents/573688/
    Last edited by rbgarr; 03-12-2019 at 05:00 PM.

One of the actress moms is married to William Macy. Jerry's in the S again.

I'm sure he's cooperating, you're darn tootin'. No call to get snippy.

He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Best and the brightest.

These schools often never give out failing grades either. They have the students withdraw after the failing semester is over and the record expunged.
    Really? I have a couple of friends who flunked out of Harvard & had to go to community college for a year to get some decent grades to get into another 4 year college. One of them had way more than enough money to be able to buy grades if they were for sale.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Really? I have a couple of friends who flunked out of Harvard & had to go to community college for a year to get some decent grades to get into another 4 year college. One of them had way more than enough money to be able to buy grades if they were for sale.
    They must have been a real f-up. Connected people do not get flunked out, they make a different path as they go do a European semester abroad.

On a related story... The Stanford sailing coach was fired as was the crew coach for USC due to taking Admission bribes.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

I just always assumed when I saw the kids of the rich and famous, or even the rich and famous themselves go to the upper level schools, it was because of money or nepotism. First one to come to mind was Brooke Shields going to Princeton. The fact that this is even a story has me thinking I've been wrong. Glad to hear that perhaps for the most part people have gotten by on their own merits. Perhaps even our president.

It's so...presidential.

I'll pass on arguing with you Ted.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I'll pass on arguing with you Ted.
    I am not arguing with you. My son's friends parents who are dot com millionaires are on the list. Their dear child is currently attending Yale.

[QUOTE=Ted Hoppe;5837271]Best and the brightest.

These schools often never give out failing grades either. They have the students withdraw after the failing semester is over and the record expunged.[/QUOTE.] Expunging has a very specific meaning and effect, at least at my college, and remains the most severe disciplinary action possible. It took a vote by two thirds of the faculty and any student expunged was eliminated from all college records and forbidden to reapply. It usually involved some offense much graver than anything academic. Otherwise any student who completes his or her first semester even on academic probation but subsequently earning passing grades is forever an alumnus or alumna. Since these students in question now don't seem to be primarily at fault they may be able to reapply on their merits if ejected from the colleges.

We have a good friend who has been a teacher in a well renowned Catholic secondary school for yonks. They have always accommodated 'hand me downs', usually round year 9/10, from other Private schools that did not want their lower marks to appear on next years prospectus.
    There are two of these 'hand me downs' in our state parliament at present, one on each side.
    One as Treasurer blotted his copy book, the other has not been given a responsibility yet……..

Another perspective.

I'd call it yet another sad symptom of the perversity engendered by swinging too far into laissez-faire territory. Another example, among a burgeoning eruption of examples, of Acton's wisdom --

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/underne...223637930.html

U.S.Underneath the College Admissions Scandal, Thereís Even More Scandal

But impropriety in the college admissions process is just the affidavitís nominal topic. What it reveals more valuably is a pervasive sickness among a class of elite parents, parents so toxically desperate to credential their children, and in the process themselves, that they had to hide their activity from its supposed beneficiaries. There was the parent who wanted to keep her son from knowing that someone else had taken his ACT and scored so well on it, and the parent who worried that his non-athlete son might stand out at water polo practice. (In some cases the scheme was too involved to hide it from the kids: One student had to stage a water polo action shot, but he didnít play water polo, so his father retained the services of a graphic designer, and outfitted his son with a ball and a swimming cap. ďA little high out of the wateróno one gets that high,Ē Singer told the father, after the designerís first try with Photoshop.)

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I was astute enough to realize I am low caste, and don't belong in institutions such as that, anyhow.

I'd never have been foolish enough to apply to a college on academic merit alone. Even way back when.

Peace,
    Robert

Please pardon a little thread drift but here's the Trump gang relationship to buying college admittance.

Notice that what Kushner Sr. did was legal and tax deductible.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...rmative-action

https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-idio...d=hp_lead_pos8
    Meanwhile, anyone who’s had a whiff of the contemporary college admissions process knows how parental money already greases the ritual, from the hiring of tutors and test-preppers to sports-video Scorseses who can edit a JV quarterback to resemble the next Brett Favre. Meritocracy is an illusion—long before an application shows up at a school, the system is legitimately stacked in favor of the wealthy. Kids who aren’t from privileged backgrounds are at a steep disadvantage, simply because they cannot afford the add-on accoutrements.
    I got into college because someone recommended me. My daughters got in because they were smart. My grandkids are smart, but they have the advantage of having parents willing to spend money on the add-on accoutrements.

Everyone with means buys their kids way into university. Then they complain that university should be free at least for them.
    Life is complex.

Well I dropped out of an Ivy, I was not paying full freight and it was a million years ago, my parents were not happy.

My best friends sons are both on academic scholarships to Phillips Exeter the oldest one has been accepted to Georgetown and is waiting for Harvards answer, he’s also accepted to London School of Ecconomics, all on academic scholarships.

The problem with this crime is it affects people like my friends son. The way things are set up now all the top schools are in competition. An applicant can not accept a place at one school and then keep applying to other schools to see the best offer. They get accepted they need to either accept or reject, if they accept they have to halt the other schools admissions. They also have to request if they want a gap year. Luckily for my friend son Georgetown allowed him to let the other offers come in and gave him a gap year if he decides. If he had gotten accepted to Harvard he would have to say Yes or No and if he pursued other universities Harvard would have dropped him.

So these rich elites are robbing spots from brilliant ecconically lacking applicants.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

My thinking on this is that it will hasten the idea of Free College for all. The pendulum has swung far from centre and it is about to swing back. This will have repercussions far beyond education. As I was saying at breakfast this morning, we may be on the verge of our French Revolution. Heads will are going to roll, hopefully only in a figurative sense.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Who was acing tests for rich kids in the admissions scam? A look at the man officials called a ‘really smart guy’
    --from Boston Globe: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tenn...98D?ocid=ientp
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/an-idio...d=hp_lead_pos8

I got into college because someone recommended me. My daughters got in because they were smart. My grandkids are smart, but they have the advantage of having parents willing to spend money on the add-on accoutrements.

Everyone with means buys their kids way into university. Then they complain that university should be free at least for them.
    I have to laugh at all the folks who think there's something special about particular colleges and universities. I went to a state school. I only applied to the one school. I took the ACT and filled out the application, I can't remember the details, but I know there was no essay involved, and I sure as heck didn't have any particular community service to list or brag about. I didn't know squat about college because no one in my family had ever attended one.

I slapped out the application, attached a high school transcript and that was it. A couple of months later I got a letter of acceptance. If I'd been rejected I would have applied somewhere else less competitive, and probably gotten a better education.

The state school accepted about 2/3 of in state applications back then and still does today. The only ones who seemed to fixate on the "quality" of that school back then (1960's) were wealthy out of state students whose enrollment quotas were more limited. There was the usual sh!t in orientation lectures: "Look to your left, look to your right, those two people won't be graduating!"

It's all horse sh!t. A couple if years in community college followed by a couple of years in a reasonable four year college would have been more than satisfactory, and still is. And there's nothing wrong with decent vocational training either.

I think you may be missing the point Dave, those parents dont care if their children are educated. Those parents care that their children meet the right kind of other children who are well connected. I too was happy with a state college, but looking up the notable alumni we dont seem to have any big time politicians or CEOs.

To put it even simpler, the parental lying is so that those kids can go on to get jobs and connections they dont deserve. And then those kids lie about their accomplishments and how they were merit based. No one is lying to get into CSU or Washington State Univeristy.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

sadly, in some cases.. just graduating from Yale can make or break a career. You could be an A+ student at the local state university, but get passed over for a D- student from an ivy league school

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    I have to laugh at all the folks who think there's something special about particular colleges and universities. I went to a state school. I only applied to the one school. I took the ACT and filled out the application, I can't remember the details, but I know there was no essay involved, and I sure as heck didn't have any particular community service to list or brag about. I didn't know squat about college because no one in my family had ever attended one.

I slapped out the application, attached a high school transcript and that was it. A couple of months later I got a letter of acceptance. If I'd been rejected I would have applied somewhere else less competitive, and probably gotten a better education.

The state school accepted about 2/3 of in state applications back then and still does today. The only ones who seemed to fixate on the "quality" of that school back then (1960's) were wealthy out of state students whose enrollment quotas were more limited. There was the usual sh!t in orientation lectures: "Look to your left, look to your right, those two people won't be graduating!"

It's all horse sh!t. A couple if years in community college followed by a couple of years in a reasonable four year college would have been more than satisfactory, and still is. And there's nothing wrong with decent vocational training either.
    It sounds like you are saying it makes no difference what school you graduate from. I said as much to my first manager after I graduated from a state university with a degree in electrical engineering. She disagreed and said that the top 5% of graduates from my school would qualify for possible hiring but the top 30% or 40% would qualify from a more competitive school like University of California at Berkeley.

Hey! Just a gawdam minute here! I taught in college for more than fifty years and nobody got around to telling me that I was sitting on a gold mine. Scheese! I could have retired a ga-zillionair...but nobody told me...

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Hey! Just a gawdam minute here! I taught in college for more than fifty years and nobody got around to telling me that I was sitting on a gold mine. Scheese! I could have retired a ga-zillionair...but nobody told me...
    It's academia! The teachers don't get the $. Coaches & such do.

From Wikipedia: Federal prosecutors allege that the parents of college applicants paid more than $25 million in bribes to college officials between 2011 and 2018.[4][5] The FBI investigation was nicknamed Operation Varsity Blues in a nod to the 1999 film of the same name.[6][7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_c...ribery_scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    sadly, in some cases.. just graduating from Yale can make or break a career. You could be an A+ student at the local state university, but get passed over for a D- student from an ivy league school
    Unlikely, particularly in technical fields.

I was echoing my agreement with TLT's Wall Street Journal article:

"To the anxious parents and prospective applicants out there, a tip from a sports columnist who only scammed his way into college bars: None of this nonsense is worth it. College is collegeósome schools have more to offer than others, but in your life, youíre going to meet plenty of useless dingbats who went to the most distinguished colleges in the country. Youíll also encounter wizards who barely went to school at all.

Also this: Not everyone cheats. Not everyone cuts corners. There isnít a diploma in the world thatís more valuable than your integrityóand you canít buy your integrity back. These may be old-fashioned, naive notions, but I donít care. This is what Iím telling my kids, after I remind them to stop melting crayons on the radiator, because itís really a nightmare to clean."

If anyone dreams of being hired to work for a major hedge/private equity fund or consulting firm (which can be a stepping stone to CEO-dom) they ONLY recruit at the top five schools in the nation. And they do it religiously.