Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richardson 35 D Salvage Job

Default Richardson 35 D Salvage Job

We have acquired a Richardson 35 foot Sedan that may have a lot of planking issues. I bought a book titled " Covering Wooden Boats with Fiberglass" by Allan H. Vaitses. Although he comes highly recommended I am a little worried about covering the hull with glass as everyone who has never heard of him says that is an insane job and that he should be arrested. The book is very very convincing and claims many a lobster boat has been saved in Maine and survived many years of hard work. It does make a lot of sense. I would love to hear some comments about this big " NO NO"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Richardson 35 D Salvage Job

Hi Peter. I own a 1935 Richardson 32' Cruisabout. I have replaced many planks on her. The absolute beauty of a carvel hull is that she can be maintained and repaired easily. The most common failure mode for planks is rot...obviously. The decay resistance of wood, however, varies greatly from board to board for many reasons. the majority of planks I have replaced had a neighbor that was pefectly sound. By glassing them all together you make this maintenance much more difficult. Further, if your vessel does have serious plank issues, glass will only accelerate the rot, and will add little strength to the compromised members.

I suggest finding out exactly what your boats issues are before attempting such a huge depature from her original design specifications.

Also, What's the story with the Elco alongside??
    Last edited by Tangusso; 03-11-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    There are few issues in life that cannot be worked out with a sharp chisel and a bit of time

Just my opinion, and worth the paper it is written on...

Yes, glassing a wooden hull will extend its life - at a cost. It will give you five to ten years of use out of the hull, depending on the condition of the planking & frames at the time of glassing. The down-side is that you are sealing the problems in so you can't get at them to do any repairs, as well as sealing moisture in which will promote rot. At the end of whatever time you have bought by glassing the hull, it will be completely FUBAR'ed and good only for landfill. So, if you have no ambition to have the boat for ever and ever, but just want to enjoy the boat for the next few years and dispose of it when you are done, glassing it will buy the time you need.

Keep in mind that the Maine lobsterboats Mr. Vaitses mentions are just tools for the fishermen to use to make their living, and not looked upon as heirlooms to be repaired and renewed and preserved for another generation to use like quality yachts are. If you can live with the fact that by glassing it, you will be the boat's last owner, have at it and enjoy the boat.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

As Michael points out, Alan Vaitses’ approach is focused on squeezing more use out of commercial hulls that would otherwise be retired. The general advice/feeling you’ll get here is that when you seal the hull up as propsed by Vaitses you seal the boat’s fate along with it.

On a relatively lightly built production boat like yours doing so is essentially an admission of defeat. It’s also the cheapest solution to a complex set of problems. If every important issue on an old boat is dealt with in such a spirit, it makes family boating in big water too “exciting” for my tastes. This leads to a long discussion of what it means for a vessel to be seaworthy that can raise additional questions. I should add that not every old boat is an ideal restoration prospect depending on many things chief of which are means and desired ends.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

In addition to what the others have said, the former owner of my boat glassed her from the waterline down.

I sailed her for a few years & then replaced every bottom plank. Also, frame & structural damage had been done by the trapped water. The worst was my not getting 100% of the water out of the bilges 1 year & it froze & split the horn timber to the point where I could reach through the hull & touch the propeller shaft (inboard of the stuffing box) with my hand. That was a very depressing day.

So - either get 100% of the water out each & every year, or never again store her on land in New England. Remember that lobster boats are in the water year 'round.

Oh - no surveyor would pass her because of not being able to tell the plank condition - so therefore no insurance.

My 2 cents.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Thank you all for your very helpful comments. We will probably stay away from the glass

I actually did the Vaitses method on an 18 foot sloop. She was way rotten when I got her and I wanted a few more years out of her before the landfill. The glassing made the hull very strong and leakproof but it put a definite life span of 8 to 10 years before everything fell apart, although I didn't have the boat when that happened. It wasn't particularly cheap, either.

So what are the "planking issues" you have with the boat?

Yes, so what are the issues you are facing? A Richardson is pretty straight forward construction, nothing that isn’t properly repairable. Where is she in CT?

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Yes, so what are the issues you are facing? A Richardson is pretty straight forward construction, nothing that isnít properly repairable. Where is she in CT?
    Portland ct

Quote Originally Posted by Peterduncan View Post
    Portland ct
    . Ok,.....about an hour from me.

Now what do you think is going on with her bottom? What do you mean by “planking issues”? Can you elaborate?

Having not put her in the water to soak up the moister and swell we are not sure she is going to swell enough. There is a chance we may have to dig out the seams and recaulk or repay the seams. As she has been out of the water for about 3 years there are gaps in the planking you could pass a pencil through. Her stem and keel are a mess and may need to be totally replaced. Other than that she's fine.

It looks like that lower stem is drooping a bit. I would reef out the seams in that area and see what you've got. You might be able to put in some new bolts and pull that area back together. The rest of the seams look like they should be reefed out, too.

Thanks for your valuable advice.

Is that the worst of the stem? That doesn't look so bad (actually pretty good). I would agree about cleaning everything out that you can, and maybe even removing some hood end fastenings then see about tightening (or probably) replacing some the the bolts that hold the stem and gripe together. then see what you have.

It looks like she has been sitting over a dirt floor (very good thing). What do the seams look like on the inside of the hull?

It looks like a variety of 'single part sealants' (stuff in a caulking cartridge) has been used on her seams over the years which may not have done her any favors.

Is she a single screw boat with an offset engine?

Is it just the perspective of the picture or is her keel cocked?

I would definitely check a good number of fastenings in her bottom, but then she may just need a proper caulking job (and that does not include anything out of a cartridge).

Have not even gotten to look at her internal seams. She is a single screw with an offset engine and the keel is cocked. Do you think that the cotton might still be good and what calking would you recommend?

The cotton probably isn't any good. I would reef out all the seams and recaulk the whole boat up to the waterline. Use traditional cotton caulking driven in by someone who knows what they are doing. Follow that up by painting the cotton with bottom paint and, finally, fill the seams with underwater seam compound applied with a putty knife. Interlux makes a good compound for this job.

This whole bottom job sounds like a lot more work than it really is. If you hire a pro, (recommended) you can save quite a bit of money by cleaning out the seams yourself and then letting a pro caulker go to work. You can follow behind him painting the cotton and applying the seam compound.

Yes, ideally what jamo said. Though someone who knows what they are looking at could asses the cotton. Maybe you could get away with removing the goop on top of the Cotton, assessing the Cotton (and if ok maybe just harden it up a bit) and apply seam compound. That would still require someone who knows what they are looking at and doing.

A cocked keel is not necessarily a big issue, but probably should have something done if is that bad. The keel on my boat ended up cocked a bit after she almost fell over during “Sandy”. New keel bolts during my rebuilding pretty much took care of that.

Having not put her in the water to soak up the moister and swell we are not sure she is going to swell enough. There is a chance we may have to dig out the seams and recaulk or repay the seams. As she has been out of the water for about 3 years there are gaps in the planking you could pass a pencil through. Her stem and keel are a mess and may need to be totally replaced. Other than that she's fine.
    Have you had a survey, or do you have an expert assisting you with assessing these things? Where does this assessment come from? "Her stem and keel are a mess and may need to be totally replaced." And also, "Other than that she's fine."

Regards,
    John.

Well,........ until you’ve been here your stem might not be too bad. Lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

We have been helped by the Wooden Boat School in Maine. Although they have not seen the actual boat we have sent them a lot of photographs and a teacher got back to us who has written a few books. Other than that I have some experience with building wooden boats I just finished an all wood Handy Billy. Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Might it be a help to have someone take a look at her with you?

Do you know of anybody in the area of Portland, Ct that might be willing to do just that?

There are a number of forum members in southern New England who might do that. Beware that there might have to be beer involved...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I might be able to come over if that would be of any help,... wouldn’t even take a beer.

I might like to think I know my way around your size boat pretty well.

That would be very kind of you. Ill even buy you lunch and pay for your gas. Let me know how far away you are. Come to think of it it looks like you said you were about an hour away. What town are you in?
    Last edited by Peterduncan; 03-15-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Peter, I am in Woodstock (north east corner of CT)

We are in the northwest part of ct, Washington to be exact. Please let me know if you still would like to see the boat and when it would be good for you. I am retired so anytime is a good time.

Peter, I sent you a PM.

Would there be much of a difference if one were to just coat the hull with a couple of layers of epoxy ; acting almost as a primer coat, versus laying up blankets of fiberglass and coating with the same epoxy?

Would there be much of a difference if one were to just coat the hull with a couple of layers of epoxy ; acting almost as a primer coat, versus laying up blankets of fiberglass and coating with the same epoxy?
    Oh dear 😟

Did you already buy epoxy and cloth?
    You seem to be dead set on using it.

I do wonder, have you even tried to wet out the hull? you will be amazed how much the gaps in the planking will close up!

Oh I was also wondering if you have any pictures of the whole boat, it would be nice to see it.
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 03-19-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

LOL!

I managed to see the picture, pretty boat.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

We have not purchased anything yet. We are just weighing the options. I just read a book about covering the hull in glass. The author swears by it and is very convincing, but we have not made any decision until we let her swell up.