Thread: Koalen-18

Default Koalen-18

Hello! I would like to show you my boat. I have been working on it for a year already in my free time. The boat Koalen-18 on the project of Francois Vivier is build in Murmansk. I plan to go in it to the Barents and the White Seas. I will be appreciated for your comments.
    Foto: https://photos.app.goo.gl/OEO1fKJt5rYBbrKs1
    Video: https://youtu.be/Nk1RO6ceRf4
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/satellitm/

Default Re: Koalen-18

Nice pictures, they make it look easy. Was the kit from Grand Largue or did you get it cut local? I fancy trying that build method at some point, looks like it worked well. I dare say you had lots of filling and sanding......
    Many people wont follow links, like to see pictures posted. Welcome, anyway!

NICE! That's the first Koalen-18 I've seen posted here. You chose a really nice boat! Vivier does design a pretty craft, does he not? Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Nice pictures, they make it look easy. Was the kit from Grand Largue or did you get it cut local? I fancy trying that build method at some point, looks like it worked well. I dare say you had lots of filling and sanding......
    Many people wont follow links, like to see pictures posted. Welcome, anyway!
    Thanks! I will continue to post pictures directly. The kit was made in Irkutsk (Siberia). It was made of birch plywood and not from okoume. Birch plywood is much tougher, so it was not easy to assemble the case from it. You are right there will be lots of grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    NICE! That's the first Koalen-18 I've seen posted here. You chose a really nice boat! Vivier does design a pretty craft, does he not? Thanks for sharing!
    Thank! The boat is really very beautiful, andwell designed. I do not have much experience in such matters, but nevertheless,so far everything works out.

Ah, i thought the birch looked familiar, that is why i asked, it looks like the stuff sold in Surgut. What brand of epoxy are you using?

Very nice job.That fair surface is quite an achievement and it appears that the quality of the fit of each piece is very good.The sheathing and fairing are probably the east peasant part of the whole build and the other tasks in store are much more pleasant.