Thread: Shanty boating article

Default Shanty boating article

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's an interesting article about a modern day shanty boat. I haven't run down all of the links in the article itself, but it looks like there is more info there.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...9YLUjra4TN-pkA

Default Re: Shanty boating article

Good article. Thank you.

It would be a soul without romance who could not imagine life aboard a shantyboat... even if only for a day or two.

Land-lubber question: What do shanty boat residents do when they reach the mouth (end) of the river???

Get a tow upstream or knock the shantyboat apart, sell the lumber and get drunk...

^ I like the way you think, Grant!

Alternatively, I hunt out of a floating blind ( 16 x8) that gets moved with a small outboard. Same could be done for the shanty--in fact I;d not have one without it.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Shanty boats are so attractive to so many people I'm surprised there aren't a whole lot more of them, especially with so many having lost their jobs to globalism. Log cabins off the grid and far in the woods seem to evoke the same response.

I guess a lot of the attraction is due to people being dissatisfied with their current stressful life styles and wanting to downsize and relax. Also, the lifestyle just looks pleasant as an alternative to an already comfortable living situation, just for the variety.

There's very little stress in my life, but I do like the idea of even less, or at least different stresses, and as I've pointed out here often enough, there is another reality that I'm familiar with that I'm working towards getting back too.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 03-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.

The delightful shanty boat that Harry Bryan designed and built was meant to be moved about by a small boat powered with an outboard.With that setup you could leave the shanty anchored out and use the small boat to taxi back and forth to shore. Ohhhh, I am so ready for spring....

Here is a related video.

Very Neat! I think every river based city inthe contry had a shantyboat community. I'm glad someone's beginning to document that little byte of history.