Thread: Anybody ever sail Jamaica Bay in NYC?

Default Anybody ever sail Jamaica Bay in NYC?

I am always on the hunt for new and unusual places to sail. Jamaica Bay certain ticks a lot of boxes. It looks pretty from the pictures, it has history, it is close to places to get a quick bite to eat afterwards, and a not too far trip to trailer by day sailor.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Default Re: Anybody ever sail Jamaica Bay in NYC?

Yep, a great place to sail, with a shallow draft boat. Islands to visit, white sand beaches on some, horses on mainland beaches. After hurricane Irene we found real coconuts on some of the beaches, very odd but appropriate for a place called Jamaica Bay. Hard to believe it's in NYC. I launch a small car-toppable trimaran from the seaplane launch in Floyd Bennett Field but I'm not sure about trailers. Jimmy Cricket, who used to be a regular poster here, really knows the skinny on sailing Jbay. Might be worth a PM. I don't sail there much as I'd like. It's a 28 mile drive from my house in North NJ but about 30 bucks in tolls. Outrageous.

yes, the tolls are the only stickler. I am coming up from Mile 40 on the parkway. I better bring a couple of Benjamins for the tolls
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

^ Don't need that much . Tolls are cheaper with an EZ Pass. It would be $51 for three axles inbound on the Goethals or Outerbridge. No tolls outbound.

On the Verrazzano it would be $37 in and out.

So you'd need less than a hundred.

Kevin

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Look up the Sebago Canoe Club.

https://sebagocanoeclub.org/

Hopefully Jim will be along soon with firsthand knowledge.

I've often driven past and thought of it. But getting there is a hassle for me, and there are many interesting bodies of water between here and there. But please report if you go.

The Kill van Kull near Rossville always looks interesting to me. If you look on Google maps just north of the Outerbridge crossing there's an interesting wreck of what I believe is a side wheeler. The area abounds in abandoned wrecks. If you can find a place to launch on the Jersey side you'll save all the tolls.

Jim

we used to make that trip about twice a year..
    from long island sound or city island through the kill van kull along raritan bay to cheesequake creek

the currents can be a bit tricky, so you would probably want auxiliary power
    but all the way to jamaica bay would certainly be an adventure

I'll bet you could sail across from Atlantic Highlands in the time it would take to drive around. Nice facility to launch there.
    -Dave