Thread: Norsk Nutshell re-visited

Default Norsk Nutshell re-visited

Funny how boat karma works sometimes!

I owned this unique 10 ft cold molded African mahogany Norwegian Norsk Nutshell dinghy back in the 1980's - I bought it for $75, fixed it up and re-varnished the hull, etc - sailed it for a few years, then sold it to someone in Cleveland (probably late 1980's)
    Last August, the same boat appeared on CLE Craigslist, bare hull only, for $100 - silly me, I bought this same little boat a second time!

Now in the process of restoring the boat again, and also, re-creating the spars, sail and rudder / tiller etc....I found out much more about the boat and its history (thanks to the internet, which did not exist the first time I owned it), and also found a kind gentleman who is the Shipyard Master at Mystic Seaport, who also has a Norsk Nutshell. Quentin sent me dims for all the missing parts and tracings for the rudder / tiller / daggerboard etc....what a nice man!

I am considering buying a Shellback sail kit for the boat, vs having a custom (i.e. expensive) blue Dacron dipping lug sail kit made by Sailrite...the Shellback sail is slightly larger than the original....I remember the boat was a bit of a "slow sailor" 30+ years ago when I last sailed her, so the idea of a slightly larger (and reef-able) sail has appeal....

Thoughts on the bigger sail for this little boat? Pros and cons?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Norsk Nutshell re-visited

What a great connection you have to that boat!

That's a tough call. You'll end up having to describe the new rig nearly every time you talk about the boat -- and that will be a lot. But going faster in light air and being able to reef in heavy is quite desirable. I'd be tempted to go for the bigger rig.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    What a great connection you have to that boat!

That's a tough call. You'll end up having to describe the new rig nearly every time you talk about the boat -- and that will be a lot. But going faster in light air and being able to reef in heavy is quite desirable. I'd be tempted to go for the bigger rig.
    Thanks! Yeah, I am a bit torn - part of me wants to try to keep it as "original" as possible, to the 1960 boat, complete with blue dipping lug sail - then part of me wants it to sail better and have more options with the rig....have even considered a jib and possibly a tiny topsail as well....but that is pretty crazy, I know! Ah well, I only paid $100 for the boat the second time, so not a lot invested!

Looking forward to warmer weather so I can make some serious progress in my garage / aka boatshed!

And some additional photos (not my boat though) of what the rigged Nutshell looks like....

trailer5-725.jpg

65903_3631_2995_lg_01.jpg

00Z0Z_8gFMTHoC1hW_1200x900.jpg

I may be mis-remembering (that happens more and more) but I think Forumite Wizbang 13 had some knowlege of these boats, its come up a couple of times...try searching "Peanut", which is how I remember him referring to the boat he had a connection with. Nice wee thing!

Best search tool is Google's Advanced search with the WB Forum's URL entered in the "website" field. Good luck!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsbgood View Post
    I may be mis-remembering (that happens more and more) but I think Forumite Wizbang 13 had some knowlege of these boats, its come up a couple of times...try searching "Peanut", which is how I remember him referring to the boat he had a connection with. Nice wee thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Best search tool is Google's Advanced search with the WB Forum's URL entered in the "website" field. Good luck!
    Thanks for the tip - will check into it! Cheers.........

Cute dinghy and a nice story, but those blue sails have some of the worst panel seaming and shaping that I have ever seen on any sail. I wonder who was responsible for that? They also look like Fleetboat, which was a cheap, mushy Dacron also used at the time for stuff like Burger King uniforms and some of the original Sunfish sails. It pretty much guarantees lousy performance, especially upwind. With a Sailrite kit cut to the same dimensions from modern blue 3.9 oz. Dacron, anybody who can follow directions should be able to make a sail which will look and perform much better. It isn't likely to ever be a screaming speed demon, but if your old boat had a similarly bad sail just getting a decent one the same size might yield a healthy performance boost.

Thanks for the input, Todd! You are correct in the sail on this old dinghy was not the best - to my decades old recollection. I do remember upwind performance being pretty shoddy, which I attributed partially to my being unfamiliar with the dipping lug sail rig, etc. I have pretty much decided to order the slightly bigger Shellback / Sailrite lug rig, get it sewn up and see how she does with that. I am pretty confident that a 10 ft long 4 ft wide fairly flat bottomed boat can handle the additional sq footage.
    Cheers!

Footnote to this little "missing sail rig" story....

I had posted on Cleveland Craigslist a while back that I was looking for a sail / rig for this 1960 Norsk Nutshell (CL CLE was were I found her last August) - and got an email from Hugh Horton in Cedar Key FL that he has a rig I can use for my boat! He had the Nutshell Valencia, and the hull eventually gave way, so now he has a mast, boom, yard, sail etc but no boat - amazing boat karma again! His Nutshell hull / sail # was / is #2711 and mine is #2687 - only 24 boats apart! They may have been built on the same day....pretty crazy - so - now, planning a long driving trip for next month down to Cedar Key (988 miles from Akron OH one way!), to pick up Hugh's rig! Sweeetttt! Still may make the Sailrite Shellback lug rig for her though, as a back up for better performance. We shall see! Hugh's Valencia pic below.....>>>>

valencia_1.jpg

Very Cool! Great find!