Thread: John Gardner's Building Classic Small Craft

Default John Gardner's Building Classic Small Craft

I'm looking at used copies of Mr Gardner's Building Classic Small Craft. I notice that there is a new 2003 edition and an older 1977 edition which come in two volumes, vol 1 and 2. Right now, I'm mostly interested in building a Whitehall as a pulling boat. Any advice on which edition or volume to buy? I understand one or more of them begins with an entire chapter on the history and variations of the Whitehall. I'd like to build one in copper-rivetted lapstrake using plans (or at least lines) in the Gardner book and the directions in Mr Greg Rössel's Building Small Boats. This although I believe that traditional Whitehalls are carvel-planked and that epoxy-glued would be lighter, so my inclination could change. Thanks.

Default Re: John Gardner's Building Classic Small Craft

John Gardner's first book was Building Classic Small Craft which was published in 1977. Chapter 21 is The Origin of the Whitehall. Chapter 22 contains plans for a 17 foot Whitehall and a 14 foot Whitehall. Nothing in the copy I have (first printing) about being Volume 1. I notice a later version has Volume 1 appended to the title.

In 1984 Building Classic Small Craft Volume 2 was published. It's a different book than the 1977 book.

My recollection is Building Classic Small Craft: Complete Plans and Instructions for 47 Boats which was published in 2003 was a combined edition containing the contents of the 1977 book and the 1984 book.

Other books by John Gardner include The Dory Book 1978 with illustrations by Sam Manning, Classic Small Craft You Can Build 1993, and Wooden Boats to Build and Us. All of Gardner's books with the exception of the 2003 combined "reprint" edition have different information with nothing repeated.

John Gardner wrote articles about boat history and boat building which appeared for 40 years or so in the monthly publication Maine Coast Fisherman and National Fisherman. Usually there were two articles per issue. Frequently a particular boat would be featured with plans and instructions spread over several issues. His books are largely compilations of those articles.

@David Cockey: Thanks. I went ahead and ordered a used copy. $12 w/shipping. Motivation to finish tax returns. Lol. I hadn't noticed, but there's a Whitehall clear as day on the cover.

51nk8jOkuGL.jpg

Nice article on the Glen-L strip built 17' Whitehall in this month's issue of Small Boats Monthly.

@signalcharlie: Thanks. Nice article. That whitehall is a little beamier than the designs I like. The Mystic lines collection has several, most less than 4' beam.

The Bailey Whitehall in the Mystic collection is under 4' beam. Has a slide but no outriggers so cross handed rowing needed as I recall the oars are at least 8 footers. She goes about 300 as built.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
    @signalcharlie: Thanks. Nice article. That whitehall is a little beamier than the designs I like. The Mystic lines collection has several, most less than 4' beam.
    You're welcome! Where are you going to pull that boat around at?
    Kent

Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans. I hope. It gets some swell and breakers on windy days.

Quote Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
    Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans. I hope. It gets some swell and breakers on windy days.
    Should be fun.

The 17-footer in Gardner's book has a beam of 2-2-6 in the Table of Offsets. I assume that's to the outside of the planking. Either way, pretty close to 4'6" beam at station 5.
    Don Kurylko built one to these lines - a handsome and capable boat - on which he based his Alaska design (18 feet, 4' 6" beam).

Thanks. And Happy Mardi Gras to everyone here. I know intellectually that today isn't the biggest holiday of the year in the rest of the US--most of the world, actually--and that y'all are all having just another workday... But t'aint true here!

This 14'8" Whitehall was built from Gardner's plans by Johnny Tyson at Lyme Boatbuilding College.

More photos here

https://johnnytyson.shutterfly.com

https://www.boatbuildingacademy.com/...ystic-seaport/

They also built two longer ones strip plank and cold molded.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 03-06-2019 at 05:59 AM.