Thread: Trump's unhinged CPAC speech signals the death of the Republican Party

Default Trump's unhinged CPAC speech signals the death of the Republican Party

Reported by Newsweek:

Republican strategist Rick Tyler was shocked on Saturday by the enthusiastic reception that President Donald Trump received while giving his address at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Maryland.

During a segment on MSNBC this afternoon, Tyler told host Alex Witt that Trump has changed CPAC and the Republican Party for the worse since he took power. “It’s interesting about CPAC,” he said. “It used to be the confab of conservatives who would get together once a year but it’s not CPAC anymore — it hasn’t been since 2016. It’s now Trump-pac and should be TPAC.

"The people there talk about being pro-tariffs, anti-justice, anti-law enforcement, anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim, pro-Russia, pro-autocrat. It’s unrecognizable what Donald Trump has done to the party and what he’s done to the conservative movement… It’s a shame," Tyler added.

When asked by Witt whether anything “can be done to resurrect the Republican Party as it was?,” Tyler said it’s beyond saving.

“Rest in peace,” he responded. “No, it’s over. The problem is that the Republican Party has no grounding governing philosophy anymore because they’ve signed on to all these things as I just mentioned that were antithetical to the conservative movement.”

“So it’s the Trump party,” Tyler concluded. “When Trump passes on, one way or the other, that party will no longer exist and the Republican party will have... it has no fundamental belief. You have to believe in something, and I don’t know what the Republican Party believes in or what its message is anymore.”

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-strateg...d-cpac-1349970
    As I have been saying all along, the Bilge Trumpists are not conservatives.
    "In 1964, the GOP ceased to be the party of Lincoln and became the party of Southern whites. As I now look back with the clarity of hindsight, I am convinced that coded racial appeals had at least as much, if not more, to do with the electoral success of the modern Republican Party than all of the domestic and foreign policy proposals crafted by well-intentioned analysts like me. This is what liberals have been saying for decades. I never believed them."-- Max Boot

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: Trump's unhinged CPAC speech signals the death of the Republican Party

And the birth of the Trump Party!

Default Re: Trump's unhinged CPAC speech signals the death of the Republican Party

I wonder how many of the Republican clients on the Supreme Court bench are true conservatives or Trumplicans.
    Could be interesting if they do fulfil their job properly.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The talking heads on TV this AM said it was the longest speech in history to be given by a sitting American president.

Reminds me of Castro, Hitler, and a bunch of other dictators who love to hear themselves talk.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    The talking heads on TV this AM said it was the longest speech in history to be given by a sitting American president.

Reminds me of Castro, Hitler, and a bunch of other dictators who love to hear themselves talk.
    Content vs Quality, something is missing!

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Content vs Quality, something is missing!
    Oh, brother, that's the truth! He was off script and bragging about it most of the time. He was using the derogatory names he has for various Democratic congressional leaders and basically inflaming the worst aspects of contemporary American society.

Same here, the demagog in action….. whipping up the rubes.

What's troubling is that the CPAC crowd has now seemed to pledge themselves to Trump instead of their country. Just like Hitler's followers did. Look where that got them. If this country goes down the path of hysterical blind trust in a dictator wannebe, we are in very big trouble. Trump just might have the power to do that.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    What's troubling is that the CPAC crowd has now seemed to pledge themselves to Trump instead of their country. Just like Hitler's followers did. Look where that got them. If this country goes down the path of hysterical blind trust in a dictator wannebe, we are in very big trouble. Trump just might have the power to do that.

Godwin's law.

Godwin's law.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Godwin's law.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3331299d3a73
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

what a deplorable potus
    from the article:

During the two-hour-long speech, Trump also labeled House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff “Little Shifty Schiff.”

The only description I can think of is "spoiled brat''.

He thinks he can take the country away from its citizens out of spite.
    Judging by the election outcome he may even be right.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 03-04-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Do you notice that he never explains WHY his targets merit disdain and opposition? No evidence or facts ever.

And his symps just suck it up.

I never thought I would see American politics sink this low.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys
    Godwin's law.
    Why does the comparison bother you?

During your absence your buddy Sky Blue informed us, “Trump’s authoritarianism is a feature and not a bug.”

Embrace your inner authoritarian!

Authoritarianism is a form of government characterized by strong central power and limited political freedoms. Individual freedoms are subordinate to the state and there is no constitutional accountability and rule of law under an authoritarian regime. Authoritarian regimes can be autocratic with power concentrated in one person or it can be more spread out between multiple officials and government institutions. Juan Linz's influential 1964 description of authoritarianism characterized authoritarian political systems by four qualities:

1. Limited political pluralism, that is such regimes place constraints on political institutions and groups like legislatures, political parties and interest groups;
    2. A basis for legitimacy based on emotion, especially the identification of the regime as a necessary evil to combat "easily recognizable societal problems" such as enemies of the people or state, underdevelopment or insurgency;
    3. Minimal social mobilization most often caused by constraints on the public such as suppression of political opponents and anti-regime activity;
    4. Informally defined executive power with often vague and shifting, but vast powers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoritarianism

Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 03-04-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    "In 1964, the GOP ceased to be the party of Lincoln and became the party of Southern whites. As I now look back with the clarity of hindsight, I am convinced that coded racial appeals had at least as much, if not more, to do with the electoral success of the modern Republican Party than all of the domestic and foreign policy proposals crafted by well-intentioned analysts like me. This is what liberals have been saying for decades. I never believed them."-- Max Boot

Pretty weird how he outed Matthew Calimari as a killer. What was he thinking?

So am I contributing to the culture of comtempt by posting this? It’s all so confusing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonal...987496448?s=21

@realDonaldTrump
    For the Democrats to interview in open hearings a convicted liar & fraudster, at the same time as the very important Nuclear Summit with North Korea, is perhaps a new low in American politics and may have contributed to the “walk.” Never done when a president is overseas. Shame!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post

Why does the comparison bother you?

During your absence your buddy Sky Blue informed us, “Trump’s authoritarianism is a feature and not a bug.”

Embrace your inner authoritarian!

authoritarian, undisciplined and lazy, what a combo.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...ve-time-944996

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Pretty weird how he outed Matthew Calimari as a killer. What was he thinking?
    as with all of his other gaffes, he's thinking he's untouchable.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

I saw this and dearly hoped that there was some other video showing how all of this was taken out of context and twisted by the editors.

But even the Fox clip... migod. Two hours of this leadership, encouraged by cheers and chants.... a "humdinger" indeed.

The Republican party has always united behind authoritarianism. Rumors of its demise are premature. It did survive Cheney and Bush after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    The Republican party has always united behind authoritarianism. Rumors of its demise are premature. It did survive Cheney and Bush after all.
    Not 'always' precisely... but in recent decades, certainly.

Acton's dictum made flesh.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Reminds me of. . .
    sarah effing palin
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I saw this and dearly hoped that there was some other video showing how all of this was taken out of context and twisted by the editors.

That is excellent motivation for chopping firewood. If it was later maybe a double tequila.

Yea, and STILL the Stumps won't care.

That 150 historians have called our current president the worst ever, and that people still think he is the Orange Messiah, says all that you need to know about them - and the sad state of roughly half this country.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

The part where he was ridiculing the new deal green, “honey, is the wind blowing today, i’d like to watch some tv today” was funny. He said he hopes the dims stay on that message, but the guy who started Greenpeace said ACO was a pompous twit.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Yea, and STILL the Stumps won't care.

That 150 historians have called our current president the worst ever, and that people still think he is the Orange Messiah, says all that you need to know about them - and the sad state of roughly half this country.
    It's chilling when he does that "They came from the mountains, they came from the deserts . . . and they came from the cities, to do something, I dunno, that maybe has never been done before . . . "

A oafish delivery to be sure, though gushing Democrats use the same nauseating rhetoric. "We are the new [something something something]." Exceptionalism. Flattering the rabble.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

most bizarre week for a man and party in free fall.

A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    The part where he was ridiculing the new deal green, “honey, is the wind blowing today, i’d like to watch some tv today” was funny.
    it was imbecilic.
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

The part where he was ridiculing the new deal green, “honey, is the wind blowing today, i’d like to watch some tv today” was funny.
    I guess his batteries always run outta juice, eh?
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

There are various reasons for a battery to go weak.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

The part where he was ridiculing the new deal green, “honey, is the wind blowing today, i’d like to watch some tv today” was funny. He said he hopes the dims stay on that message, but the guy who started Greenpeace said ACO was a pompous twit.
    His executive time is watching FOXNEWS and having Hannity kiss up to him and tell him what he should do on a daily basis. What he should do is throw the TV out, read a book, talk to those that know what's going on in the world; the Intelligence Agencies but, he won't do that. Instead, he'll continue to make an arsenal out of himself for the world to laugh at.

Sweet Mother of God reds are Stupid.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.