Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gannet; first build and new member intro

Default Gannet; first build and new member intro

Greetings from Vermont

Me; sailor, Dad, retired engineering sort, and dog attendant. Most ambitious wood working project to date was building a deck. Most similar project ever was building a Lotus 7 from pieces.

The rest of the story; met up with a like minded character, Stu, awhile back at the cardiac rehab center ( where you go after having a stent installed, which is the next step after having a heart attack of some sort ). We decided we needed a challenge, needed a winter project, and I needed another boat. And away we went ordering stuff and buying tools and having a good old time.

The Gannet; a day sailor, an Iain Oughtred design. Short, beamy, planning hull. Everything is a trade off and I decided ‘ an exciting sail’ was more appealing than ‘rows well’. Hopefully will be a good balance between stability and light weight. I plan to use it to explore Lake Champlain, the Maine Island Trail, and may drag it south in the winter. Took a beach cruising course with Geoff Kerr at Wooden Boat and the bug bit hard. Felt like a kid again.

I’ll try to post up some pictures as I go ( ok, posting pics is so far more challenging than building the boat ).

Default Re: Gannet; first build and new member intro

Welcome aboard, pondering the plans is one of the best parts of building a boat for me. This is especially true when it's plans drawn by Mr. Oughtred. Savor your build and don't get in a hurry. Do you have Iain Oughtred's book on building his boats? It was helpful to me when I built my Caledonia Yawl. Good luck with your build and stick with it.

Welcome! Thanks for posting I don't recall seeing an Oughtred Gannet reported here so I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Post # 2 - Nice view of outdoors, warm beverage, a set of plans to contemplate - just a wonderful way to start a build.. I will be eagerly waiting for thread updates

Rick

Not sure why there are not more Gannets around, hopefully that’s not a bad sign.
    I also considered the Illur and the Navigator which are about the same proportions and went with the Gannet as it looked easier to build than the Illur and I could get a planking kit.

A planing hull and a Lotus 7 from a kit? How young did you retire?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thanks
    I have Iain’s book as well as a couple others and also Geoff Kerr’s excellent video series via OCH. Even more important I’ve already run into some helpful characters and small businesses along the way who I will glad to highlight as I go. It is indeed a most interesting community.
    The plan, given my age and rookie status, is to keep it simple and maybe get a boat in the water this summer. To that end I’m using aluminum spars, the rudder assembly from a 420, and minimal bright work. Then next winter add a partial deck and wooden spars. So far everything has taken more time than expected but I’ve enjoyed the process more than expected.

I built the 7 from a box of parts from the factory, 1970. Hadn’t though about this before but am hoping the Gannet will be like the 7, that is quick and agile.

At this point half of the plank pieces have been glued up. I’ve been using ‘the string method’ to align sections as demonstrated by Gardener Pickering of Hewes and although the technique seemed a bit dodgy the finished planks are about perfect.

85D6C91B-52BF-488C-B717-E3D748D0A1F4.jpg

First good screw up.
    Carefully mixed and blend epoxy, check.
    Carefully align pieces. Check.
    Carefully clamp. Check.
    Put plastic under work? Opps
    Fortunately there was enough crude on the bench that it came loose with a bit of work with a beater chisel and the large mallet. Dodged a bullet on that one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Definitely want to use plastic with epoxy. That said, a heat gun will soften it up enough to bust it loose, usually. Heat gun and scraper is very helpful for cleaning up drips and blobs of the stuff where it's not wanted.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Mike

The upper planks on the Gannet splay outward which makes for a drier ride and keeps the bow from knifing into a wave during spirited sailing. It also require a complicated stem shape which, had I know this in advance, I might have gone with a different design. None the less after considerable thought I’m feeling more confident that I can do this.
    Blindly following instructions without knowing the how and has never been my strong suit. Once I’ve made the investment to understand life gets much better. Probably why I chose to study Physics many years ago.
    The picture shows th built up stem ready for shaping. I used a composite nailer to tack the outer cheeks in place and it made things much easier.
    37348208-6327-4386-8242-AE1187337575.jpg

I think you will certainly see many similarities between the 7 and the Gannet. Thanks for joining and sharing.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Greetings from just down the road in Montpelier! Looks like a great start.

Hey Blues, good to see you're starting a build thread! I built a Fulmar a while back and if its helpful here's a link to my build thread:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ughtred+fulmar

Have you seen a Gannet in person before? I remember thinking that my boat looked a lot more burly than I was expecting just from looking at the plans; that may speak to my inexperience with boat plans more than anything though. Have you picked a sail plan yet?

Mike
    "You may be orange, you may like hamburgers, and you may be a clown, but you sir are no Ronald McDonald" - John Stewart

Thanks Mike, I’ve gone through your build thread a couple times, very helpful, and nice job by the way.
    I'm going with a jib headed Gunter which is being built by Vermont Sail Partners. The hope is that this set up will see me home in light air without oars or motor. The owner is a major player in Lightning circles and gave me a lot of help converging on a sail plan and rigging. Great guy.

How do do you like the Fulmar on the water? That design was on my short list.

Just found this thread, welcome, Blues.
    I am next door in Essex. More Vermonters!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Just found this thread, welcome, Blues.
    I am next door in Essex. More Vermonters!
    The more Vermonters, the merrier! I'm just south of Rutland.
    I'll be following.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Busy day working on that all important stem. Trimmed, sanded, trimmed, sanded, and sanded some more. Pleased with progress. Careful as we go. Focus.CF889026-849E-4CF6-B345-FCA5B993A419.jpg

Welcome Blues! Looks like a great start! I'm just in the early stages of building a Tammie Norrie, another Oughtred design. I also bought the plank kit, and for all appearances(no planks on the boat as of yet)they seemed to glue up fine. I would agree with some of the above comments...take your time, enjoy the process! I find myself on my lunch hour just thinking through coming steps. And like you, I found OCH videos of the Caladonia Yawl to be very informational. In fact, just finished watching it for the third time, and at every stage I find little tidbits that make me go, "oh, yeah, I need to remember to do that". Enjoy!

Ken

Bevel time

I tried a variety of tools.
    The big sander worked well, maybe a little too well.
    A power hand plane proved to be beyond my abilities on a compound curve.
    Hand planes equals hard work on this dense wood.
    A fancy rasp? Ditto.
    Really sharp chisel worked fairly well.
    And an old Japanese hatchet? We have a winner.60BED5F7-CD98-46A8-B6A6-57EC1F06E79A.jpg

Hatchets are great tools! I have several sharpened to different configurations that we use for everything from splitting kindling to roughing out longbows

Hey Blues,
    FYI I found it useful to leave the inner stem oversized and to cut the bevels to final shape as the planking progressed. It was easy to spring a batten and finalize the bevel a plank or two ahead of the plank I was offering up. Looking back I think I got better results with less stress than trying to get the rolling bevel right before the stem was on the boat.
    Unfortunately I havent launched yet due to moving and an injury, however minuteman came over Saturday to help finalize details. Now I'm just waiting for the weather to break and I'll update my build thread.
    Mike
    "You may be orange, you may like hamburgers, and you may be a clown, but you sir are no Ronald McDonald" - John Stewart

Thanks Mike, I was thinking of trying that, plus trying to securely clamp that odd shape down to plane it has proven difficult. Question for you how much did you shape that outer stem in advance? It seems like another one of those get it close and walk it after the hull is built.
    Hope you’ve recovered from your injury and your move.

Cleaner Aibr /> I had a wicked reaction to either epoxy or sapele dust, so bad I could only drink Luke warm water and eat little pieces of soft bread for almost a week. As I result I no longer sand epoxy indoors, always wear a respirator, wash face and hands immediately after, and use a powermatic 1250 to clean up what the dust collection,misses. When using epoxy I work down wind of the unit so clean air gently flows by which should readily dilute fumes that out gas from the blessed stuff. So far so good.
    Since using the unit there has been a big reduction of dust precipitating out ( I cleaned a shiny metal can lid to try an
    gauge this, so far remarkably clean ). Next varnish job will be the real test.18205AC5-D34B-4B66-B449-2AC792541103.jpg

I attempted to say cleaner air and my computer keeps editing it to that thing above. I edit, it changes back when I hit the post key, any ideas

Sorry, can't help you with the weird auto-correct glitch, but I got the gist of it!

Good job tightening up on your safety precautions wit the epoxy sensitivity. I never had it bad, but my arms itched for days once and I got serious about using the HEPA vac and respirator. I hope your precautions work well for you.

Okay, as for the outer stem all I worked on for shaping in advance of installing it was the inside face where it that mates with the inner stem. If I were to do it again I would take the inner stem before its on the building jig and trace its front face onto a piece of scrap ply to make a pattern for shaping the inside face of the outer stem. Clear as mud?

One thing I found with working from patterns and prints is that a lot of questions become clearer once the building jig and station moulds are set up. It was a lot easier for me to visualize how things went together, as well as which way the bevels go and how steep they are cut. The stems were like that for me, they made much more sense as I held them in place after the moulds were up. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the well-wishing, and in fact I just found out yesterday that an expected surgery is no longer necessary and I'm good to sail this spring! I have an open door policy for anyone who wants to meet the boat so if you're ever down towards Boston your welcome to come by.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Blues View Post
    Cleaner Aibr /> gauge this, so far remarkably clean ). Next varnish job will be the real test.
    Not all epoxies are equally toxic. If the one you are using is as problem, try another brand. I'm very sensitive to WEST epoxy for example, but the MAS I'm using now doesn't seem to affect me. Those exotic hardwoods are another matter -- I have to avoid dust from them.
    -Dave

Thanks all for the inputs. So much to learn. Mike just this afternoon I was hoping that some of these mysteries would reveal themselves at the appropriate time, then I saw your post. Very reassuring.

Cut out and rough fit the outer stem to the inner stem. Close enough for now. Tomorrow we start on the building frame.

4FD38D2B-6191-4F13-8309-FE33FCE2D1B6.jpg

060EFB98-B773-4D63-BF76-E44068E9C09A.jpg

Wheeled the “boat” out into the sunshine to bevel the keelson. It’s been a very busy couple weeks getting things to this point although it doesn’t look like much. Lots of effort went into making a strong, stiff, true frame, getting the molds just so, and that complex stem ( yes I was very relieve that everything fit to plan ). And still a bit of work to go before the first plank tastes the epoxy.
    The frame, at face value, is extreme over built but the concept is to be able to Jack it up and slide a another level underneath like a lego block, making it easier for us old guys to mount the lower planks. Casters are off old hospital equipment and work great.
    i knew this would be a challenge and it certainly has been.

Very nic! Who's that lurking under the tarp?

Garboards and floor timbers mounted. Exhausted but happy.
    B84FDBB8-BD73-452D-94DC-D04A0D82B662.jpg

Good to see you are covering the mold edges with tape! It would be a pity to glue the boat to the form.
    Looks like you'll have at least four boats when this one is done. You can never have too many!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

My buddy Stu cutting gains. We hoisted the whole smash up on some heavy duty buckets for a better working height. Two more planks to go, all we need now are a few hours of decent weather.

A24FB284-7DC0-4F46-A71C-19C2D415C1AB.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whiskey plank! I wanted a challenge and this has certainly been that, both physical and mental. Just what I needed. Lots more to go.010DF057-2E9D-4D81-B361-DAF2048B81D3.jpg