Thread: Big box of WB

Default Big box of WB

My big box of WB mags is gone. A kind soul from Belgium would have taken them but the shipping was rediculous so in desperation I took them over to a neighbor who was, I should not have been surprised but was, delighted to have them. I wonder how long that box will sit next to his chair in the living room before his wife says, "Get that box out of the house?" It happened to Garret and I. Maybe he will be next. The saga continues....

Default Re: Big box of WB

Sounds like increased circulation to me.

The handwriting was on the wall about 10 years ago.
    Under pressure to clear some bookshelves, I sold mine then but I'm pretty sure I couldn't give them away now.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    The handwriting was on the wall about 10 years ago.
    Under pressure to clear some bookshelves, I sold mine then but I'm pretty sure I couldn't give them away now.
    I had been an on and off subscriber/newstand purchaser for years, but longed for a complete set when I wanted to reference something so I bought a set starting with # 1 and all the way into the 90's for one dollar apiece. Money well spent IMHO. No idea who will want mine when I am gone, but at least by then it will be someone else's problem.

I have at least 200, starting with #1. I use them for reference, but rarely. They might go at some point.

I am keeping only the issues from the last decade.

Ha! Never going to give mine up.

I know there's a flash drive you can purchase but I don't like that method of looking at magazines. So... I've 'enlisted' my wife to 'organize' my WB issues. I bought those cardboard magazine boxes ("Finally!" she said) and she labelled them with her handwriting ("So much neater than yours!") and have lined them up in a cupboard. This pleases her since they are no longer lying around the house out of order and in disarray wherever I happen to put one down. Next step is to get some of those binders so they can be captured and KEPT in sequential order for review.

Then someday I'll get her help thinning and organizing my book collection. I found her looking at the bookcases other day. She said, with a jaundiced eye, "Have you got these in any particular order here?? And why do you have duplicate copies??"

I can tell she's thinking.

I started collecting in the days before digital storage. Once hooked, I haven't been able to kick the habit. I have the whole set in the green WB slip cases. I'll tell my wife to donate them to the local library when I'm gone and write them off at retail cover price value, I suppose.

I gave my complete set away a few years ago.

And I was very happy to get Brian Palmer's set. I still owe Brian a beer at the Mid Atlantic Small Craft Festival, should we both end up there together.

Glad they've gone to a good home Grant!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I've considered giving my limited collection away from time to time, but every so often, usually in winter, I drag a couple of dozen random issues out and spend a couple of nights poring over them. Most of the articles seem to hold up pretty well. Definitely won't be giving them up any time soon.

At the current tender age of 34, I find that I greatly prefer a real magazine in my hand that an electronic version. Blogs, forums, and web magazines are useful for finding an answer or conversation, but when it comes to the joy of reading, I prefer a real page to a screen.

So when any of you decide to part with a collection, let me know. The earliest I have is #14.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

I too am looking for some early issues. Seems there is a demand for them.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Glad they've gone to a good home Grant!
    Right, and he is an excellent woodworker, built several strip built canoes and is now planning a lapstrake canoe build.