Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67
Results 211 to 225 of 225

Thread: Bothered and Bewildered…

  1. #211
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    45,294

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Quote Originally Posted by G.Sherman View Post
    Sail dimensions???? Did anyone come up with those??
    Post #140 and subsequent discussions.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  2. #212
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dedham, MA
    Posts
    927

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Anyone know if Truant used a single halyard like UNA?

  3. #213
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,979

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Looks to me like the peak halyard is separate:



    Seems like the throat halyard could only be hidden by the topsail if it was separate.

  4. #214
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dedham, MA
    Posts
    927

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Try this angle.

  5. #215
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,979

  6. #216
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dedham, MA
    Posts
    927

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Here's a blowup of the Dutton print. There seem to be two halyards entering the deck. A main halyard and Jib halyard operated from the cockpit???

  7. #217
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,979

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Quote Originally Posted by G.Sherman View Post
    Here's a blowup of the Dutton print. There seem to be two halyards entering the deck. A main halyard and Jib halyard operated from the cockpit???
    Could be. I'm not certain any of these pictures are entirely accurate, but it's quite possible there's a single halyard for the main.

  8. #218
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    45,294

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Could be. I'm not certain any of these pictures are entirely accurate, but it's quite possible there's a single halyard for the main.
    It is a dilemma. Norfolk wherrys manage with a single halyard, but need a windlass to manage it. How big a mainsail is the normal upper limit for a single halyard in the States?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  9. #219
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,979

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    It is a dilemma. Norfolk wherrys manage with a single halyard, but need a windlass to manage it. How big a mainsail is the normal upper limit for a single halyard in the States?
    We largely gave up on them, even in small boats like the Beetle Cat, because they don't allow as much control over the sail shape. The only boat I've used the single halyard on was a Concordia sloop boat.

  10. #220
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    45,294

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    We largely gave up on them, even in small boats like the Beetle Cat, because they don't allow as much control over the sail shape. The only boat I've used the single halyard on was a Concordia sloop boat.
    OK, but that is now, what do we know about 1853?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  11. #221
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Coast
    Posts
    3,963

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    I use a single halyard on both the main and the mizzen, each 178 sq ft. I suspect you could do the same on sails about twice that size, without needing a winch, because of the natural purchase. Of course most boats do have halyard winches anyway. I find I can fiddle with the draft and the shape pretty effectively simply by slacking ( or tightening) the halyard by an inch or two. I cannot scandalize the sail, but then in all the years of sailing with gaff sails I have only done that once, and then only to try it out. In my experience casual sailors don't do very much fiddling with the sail shape. They hoist the rags and go sailing.
    I have used a single halyard gaff sail on two boats now. I would not go back to two halyards on either of these boats, both sporting Herreshoff short gaffs. With a longer gaff, or a larger boat/sail I may retain the two halyards.

  12. #222
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,979

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    I use a single halyard on both the main and the mizzen, each 178 sq ft. I suspect you could do the same on sails about twice that size, without needing a winch, because of the natural purchase. Of course most boats do have halyard winches anyway. I find I can fiddle with the draft and the shape pretty effectively simply by slacking ( or tightening) the halyard by an inch or two. I cannot scandalize the sail, but then in all the years of sailing with gaff sails I have only done that once, and then only to try it out. In my experience casual sailors don't do very much fiddling with the sail shape. They hoist the rags and go sailing.
    I have used a single halyard gaff sail on two boats now. I would not go back to two halyards on either of these boats, both sporting Herreshoff short gaffs. With a longer gaff, or a larger boat/sail I may retain the two halyards.
    Aren't your gaffs extremely short? Most of the gaffers I sail need peak tension adjusted to wind strength.

  13. #223
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    25,979

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    OK, but that is now, what do we know about 1853?
    I don't recall what the practice was in 1853, I only existed in potential at the time.

    Most of the references I own were, unfortunately, written post- Civil War.

  14. #224
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    45,294

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Aren't your gaffs extremely short? Most of the gaffers I sail need peak tension adjusted to wind strength.
    I would think that can be done with the right number of sheaves on each part. Once the luff tension is cranked up, the remaining power can be applied to the peak if the "power" is set up correctly.

    That one is triple to the throat and double to the peak
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  15. #225
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    BC Coast
    Posts
    3,963

    Default Re: Bothered and Bewildered…

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Aren't your gaffs extremely short? Most of the gaffers I sail need peak tension adjusted to wind strength.
    I am sure you noted that I said pretty much that same thing....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •