Thread: Sixty year lease on a dock

Default Sixty year lease on a dock

https://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/d...820744967.html

"THANK YOU" the ad says!

no thanks

Default Re: Sixty year lease on a dock

Why not?

Oyster Harbors Marine is a top- notch facility in a prime location. ( Disclosure, I bought a boat there once) I bet the seasonal rate a at the Osterville or Falmouth locations is about $150-$200 / foot. The ad doesn't state the size of the two slips, but presuming two 30 foot boats that's $9,000 year. Times 60 = $540,000. So, for the right family, $390,00 could be a deal.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Agreed with Break, this could be smoking for someone with the cash, and they certainly exist in this part o' the world.

(DEF not me!)

If you think that the seasonal rate will go up, it may be an even better deal -

And if you think the sea levels are rising you may expect that in 60 years it will be "out to sea".

My first thought was to agree with #5.

My second thought was that my grandfather made several such "investments" back in his day, and intrafamily bickering over them has gone on for 40 years now.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

There are many variations on the "dockominium" meets "trailer park" ownership structures. Depending on associated annual fees for maintenance of shore facilities (like bulkheads and parking), over-water facilities, and floating docks, and depending on resale and rental rights, this could be a good deal or a royal horror.

The year I rented a mooring in West Bay I asked the elderly Crosby with whom I was dealing if he'd been around for the Hurricane of '38. He was, so I asked if there were boats moored where I was to be.

"There were when it started."

So I asked how high the water got. He pointed to a six foot long red line very high up on the inside wall of the building and said, "I painted that from my dinghy."

So, if you think you can afford this spot, see if you can either own a storm mooring in North Bay or have a firm contract for storm hauling.

is it hard to get permits in the harbors nearby to sink your own mooring or rent one from the town ???

Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    is it hard to get permits in the harbors nearby to sink your own mooring or rent one from the town ???
    My understanding is that town mooring permits have years-long wait lists pretty much everywhere on Cape Cod. Rentals may be few also, assuming they go to the same renters year after year. I grew up in Osterville right behind the Crosby boatyards and remember the hurricanes (Carol, Edna, Donna, Bob) that blew through. Lots of boat, mooring field and dock damage.