Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torqueedo electric motors: Pros and cons?

Default Torqueedo electric motors: Pros and cons?

I'm thinking of getting either a 2.0 or 4.0 Cruise model.
    I've read the thread on shear pins but was wondering what owners feel about these motors. Performance? Reliability? Repairs?
    Thanks for any input.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: Torqueedo electric motors: Pros and cons?

You might want to look into the competition, too. I was impressed with the EP Carry I saw in Port Townsend.

Rich, I like my Torqeedo just fine but if I were looking again I'd seek out the ePropulsion. (I think that's its name. ) I saw this at the Seattle Boat show and it looks very similar to the Torqeedo.

Jeff

Louder than I'd thought it would be. Is that how they sound in life or is it a result of the sound pick-up?

There is a sound level comparison of the Torqueedo and the ePropulsion on Youtube. Very clear difference.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlQL0u3dBQw

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Louder than I'd thought it would be. Is that how they sound in life or is it a result of the sound pick-up?
    Sounds like gear noise to me - straight cut gears maybe? It is indeed loud.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    There is a sound level comparison of the Torqueedo and the ePropulsion on Youtube. Very clear difference.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlQL0u3dBQw
    What a great test! I wonder if this will inspire Torqueedo to quiet things down a bit?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

There are other things that bother me more about my 1003 model than the sound it makes. Chief among them is the shear pin issue. Second might concern the plug in connections to the battery and tiller. If I don't get the plug seated carefully an error occurs which doesn't become known until the throttle is activated to go. They the display shows E30 error. No amount of cussing will make it start. Only removal of the plug and careful replacement will allow the motor to function. The good news is that once this is done, the motor can be turned on and off repeatedly with no more E30 messages. I've learned to try the motor before launching or pushing off from a dock.

Perhaps I have a finicky motor. Or perhaps (a very slight chance, here) I'm ham-handed when it comes to plugs and things.

Jeff

I would think most people run their motors in the water - no?

Quote Originally Posted by sarnella View Post
    Correct. However unless the water around one motor is somehow more inclined to transmit sound than the water around the other, it is rather a moot point...

Propellor shape and size might also have an impact on sound, but that should be tested while propelling a boat in water to get a fair comparison.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

This is a long, but exceedingly interesting article. It seems that mostly due to business mistakes, Torquedo has never made money.

I'd be worried about the longevity of the company and the corresponding availability of spares.

https://www.proboat.com/2018/11/a-ta...two-companies/

Sounds fun, try one out and take pictures!

If it helps, Small Boats Monthly editor Chris Cunningham did an article on the 1003, equivalent to a 3hp.

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/articl...s-travel-1003/

Webb Chile uses a Torqeedo on his Moore 24 sailboat and blogs about similar issues to what jpatrick had.

I used mine on a 4000# 26’ one design racer. It was sufficient for the lake for getting in and out of the slip and marina.
    For the $$ it could be made better. As it is i think its a bit overpriced.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by sarnella View Post
    So here is a noise level (and performance) comparison between Torqeedo and ePropulsion on the water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1lwCtMSyB0 .

As a P.S.,
    I am thankful for this thread. It brought me back to considering in earnest an electric outboard. And ... I just ordered me one. Guess which. C.

There is a new model of the Travel 1003 on the Torqeedo website. It is direct drive and rated as 33db. It says it has 10% more power. Competition is indeed a good thing. From reading the proboat article above on Torqeedo, they had to use an 8:1 reduction gear to get the propeller spinning slowly enough. That is the difference in sound. There must be slow revolving motors available now that weren't available when they started off.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    I used mine on a 4000# 26’ one design racer. It was sufficient for the lake for getting in and out of the slip and marina.
    For the $$ it could be made better. As it is i think its a bit overpriced.
    In my research I've found that all the electric motors, outboard or inboard, are overpriced in relation to an equally powered gas engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    So here is a noise level (and performance) comparison between Torqeedo and ePropulsion on the water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1lwCtMSyB0 .

As a P.S.,
    I am thankful for this thread. It brought me back to considering in earnest an electric outboard. And ... I just ordered me one. Guess which. C.
    Please keep me up to date!

I'm thinking of getting the pod drive model for sailboats. I'd be mounting it behind the skeg of my fantail launch. I researched this with a professional boatbuilder (Tumblehome Boatshop) who is very good at replacing gas engines with electric drives on classic low speed powerboats.
    Although he hasn't done it, he feels a pod would be a good alternative to a very, very expensive inboard system.
    That said, I don't think the noise level tests above would mean much since the motor would be in the underwater pod and not up above.
    I'm trying to get more info over the phone from both Torqueedo and ePropulsion.

https://www.facebook.com/agboats/vid...5447773582497/

Here is a video of a 30 footer fitted with a saildrive pod.

https://www.facebook.com/agboats/vid...5968882782587/

And another one of the same boat underway.

Quote Originally Posted by timcooke View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/agboats/vid...5968882782587/

And another one of the same boat underway.
    Pretty boat!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Don't own any of the electrics - but I have a client that has had a small one -3.0 - on his little Walker Bay dinghy for years. He's quite pleased with it. I've used it a bit, and had no great complaints (since I didn't pay for it - they are indeed relatively expensive). He liked his so much he's added an 80 hp Torqueedo to his big boat.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0+hp+torqueedo

Regarding the noise level test shown in the video (post #5).... Right off the bat I noticed that the Torqeedo being tested was an old model. Wear on the casing is obvious. In contrast, the ePropulsion unit appears to be new. It's finish is sparking, glossy bright. So comparing an older motor to a newer motor doesn't seem like a fair test. The info in post #15 seems to explain further. Upon seeing that video, I made the, perhaps unfair, deduction that it was produced by the dealer to help sell the ePropulsion motors he stocked.

Although it doesn't pertain to Rich's situation, anyone who is contemplating the purchase of a small electric outboard owes it to themselves to consider all its aspects, not just the sound it makes. I really like the way my Torqeedo 1003 breaks down into three parts. This makes it easier to stow things in my small boat. It also reduces the weights of the units I have to sling over the rail to attach to the motor bracket. With apparently only one cable it isn't obvious how, or if, the tiller of the ePropulsion unit is removed.

By the way... the EP Carry shown in #2 is a much smaller motor than the offerings of Torqeedo and ePropulsion. I talked to those folks when I was buying and they did not recommend it for my sailboat. That said, they have also said a larger motor is in development. So perhaps someday....

Jeff

I had a long talk with a tech person at Torqueedo this morning. This lady really knew what she was talking about and was able to answer my questions. She even understood me when I said it would be powering a fantail launch! Seems the 4.0 pod would be best. It's more power then I need, but this motor at lower power would give me much more run time then running the 2.0 at higher power to achieve the same speed.
    I'm not ready to buy just yet. At $5000, I'm going to sleep on it.

I don't know if the motor shown in post #19 is a Torqueedo. If it is, it's an older model since it looks nothing like the ones sold today. Different shape to pod and only a two blade as opposed to three blade prop.

Rich

Nestaway is a local firm but it's website gives plenty of information and a comparison between the Torqeedo and the ePropulsion. Links below.

Nick
    https://nestawayboats.com/shop/e-pro...tric-outboard/

https://nestawayboats.com/shop/torqe...l-1003s-1003l/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I had a long talk with a tech person at Torqueedo this morning. This lady really knew what she was talking about and was able to answer my questions. She even understood me when I said it would be powering a fantail launch! Seems the 4.0 pod would be best. It's more power then I need, but this motor at lower power would give me much more run time then running the 2.0 at higher power to achieve the same speed.
    I'm not ready to buy just yet. At $5000, I'm going to sleep on it.

I don't know if the motor shown in post #19 is a Torqueedo. If it is, it's an older model since it looks nothing like the ones sold today. Different shape to pod and only a two blade as opposed to three blade prop.
    Is it the optional folding prop?

Quote Originally Posted by NickW View Post
    Rich

Nestaway is a local firm but it's website gives plenty of information and a comparison between the Torqeedo and the ePropulsion. Links below.

Nick
    https://nestawayboats.com/shop/e-pro...tric-outboard/

https://nestawayboats.com/shop/torqe...l-1003s-1003l/
    That is great info! The floating battery is a great idea too!

If you are using any kind of boat with a well, check length of shaft carefully to make sure that your propellor will swing clear. Also the dimension between the clamp and the after end of the motor. I had an interesting time fitting my Torquedo to my Romilly, and if a shorter from clamp to rear of motor option had been available I'd have gone that way. That said, I really like being able to leave motor and steering arm on the boat and carry the battery home. I am also considering the 12v range extender but given that I've only needed about an hours worth of low speed use in my first full season I'm not sure why. Romilly's big main allows it to sail in almost no wind.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    If you are using any kind of boat with a well, check length of shaft carefully to make sure that your propellor will swing clear. Also the dimension between the clamp and the after end of the motor. I had an interesting time fitting my Torquedo to my Romilly, and if a shorter from clamp to rear of motor option had been available I'd have gone that way. That said, I really like being able to leave motor and steering arm on the boat and carry the battery home. I am also considering the 12v range extender but given that I've only needed about an hours worth of low speed use in my first full season I'm not sure why. Romilly's big main allows it to sail in almost no wind.
    Ben, exactly what are you referring to as a 12v range extender?

Jeff

So, Torqeedo is finally doing away with the noisy gearbox? That's good. Took a while.

I spoke to them a few years ago about an option to recharge the battery through using the propeller as generator, when wind is plenty. I think their main problem was the reduction gearbox. So, nothing came of it.

Now, with the direct drive (w/o reduction gear), wouldn't it be great -and possible- to be able to use the spinning propeller during a sail to recharge the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Ben, exactly what are you referring to as a 12v range extender?

Jeff
    You can plug the motor's battery into an onboard 12v system, so you can have a 12v battery that might be used to power up electronics, bilge pump etc. that can also be used to recharge or trickle charge the main battery.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Why does a Torqueedo 4.0 cost $5,000, but a gas engine of equal power cost a $2,400? This is what drives me crazy about electric power.

Why does a Torqueedo 4.0 cost $5,000, but a gas engine of equal power cost a $2,400? This is what drives me crazy about electric power.
    Think of all the money you'll save on fuel!

Seriously, my opinion is that the difference in price is largely representative of the internal combustion engines being sold in far greater numbers, and being marketed by equally more immense companies.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Think of all the money you'll save on fuel!

Seriously, my opinion is that the difference in price is largely representative of the internal combustion engines being sold in far greater numbers, and being marketed by equally more immense companies.

Kevin
    Yes, and from being a 'mature' technology - without huge wads of R&D to fund/amortize. New tech is ALWAYS expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    It compares well with an inboard engine in my part of the world. A Yanmar 1gm10 (9hp) is 5,669 euros. You still have to get a fuel tank, propeller, prop shaft etc. A Torqeedo 4.0 with Power 24-3500 battery is 6548 euros. And there is no comparison between the noise levels between those two, that's for sure!