Thread: Old cars?

Default Old cars?

I don't want to drift the woodies thread or the sports car or the pedal car threads, but I don't remember if we've had such a thread already, he said, in way of query.

An exact copy of this fifty-six Packard four hundred rolled up in front of my next door neigbbor's house, yesterday. The driver, and owner-restorer (he might even be the original owner) and my neighbor's FIL. According to him, two hundred-ninety horsepower from a three hundred ninety-something V-eight. It sounded awesome. I got invited to go for a cruise with them, but had to decline. Even his California historic license plate was the same as the one in the pic but in blue.

Sorta reminds me of my Old Man's DeSoto of the same vintage.
    No number six.

Default Re: Old cars?

My Dad's first car (well, one exactly like this one), acquired when I was four years old:

The next one was a beast - two-and-a-half tons of Detroit steel. Ours was darker green with white roof and rear quarters:

Next was one like this, except in red with white roof:

The last family car while I was still living at home was this:

I might add that none of these were new when my Dad bought them.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

If I remember correctly the easy way to tell a 52 from a 54 Chev was the divided windscreen. Funny, we were all so fixated on 55 to 57 Chevs we wouldn't even look at a 52... now I think it's a fabulous shape, I'd love to drive it.

John B, that one - and my Dad's - was a 1949 Styleline. I remember being fascinated by the starter button on the floor, to be pressed with the driver's left foot.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

The first car I remember was our '60 Plymouth wagon:

Elect a clown expect a circus

I learned to drive in one of these: a 62 Impala. Not everyone remembers what a 'hardtop' was... there was no 'B' pillar between the front door window, and the rear door window. They called it a 'hardtop' because it sort of looked like it could be a convertible, if the top weren't 'hard'

The pillarless hardtop (often abbreviated to "hardtop") is a hardtop with no B-pillar which is often styled to look like a convertible.[1][2] If window frames are present, they are designed to retract with the glass when lowered. This creates an impression of uninterrupted glass along the side of the car.[3]

A pillarless hardtop is inherently less rigid than a pillared body, requiring extra underbody strength to prevent shake. Production hardtops commonly shared the frame or reinforced body structure of the contemporary convertible model, which was already reinforced to compensate for the lack of a fixed roof.

Hardtops tend to be more expensive and collectible than sedan models of the same vehicle.[4]

Some hardtop models took the convertible look even further, including such details as simulating a convertible-top framework in the interior headliner and shaping the roof to resemble a raised canvas top.[citation needed] By the late-1960s such designs could be highlighted with an optional vinyl cover applied on the steel roof.

The hardtop began to disappear along with convertibles in the mid-1970s, partly out of a concern that U.S. federal safety regulations would be difficult for pillarless models to pass.

The ascendancy of monocoque construction also made the pillarless design less practical. Some models adopted modified roof styling, placing the B pillars behind tinted side window glass and painting or molding the outer side of each pillar in black to make them less visible, creating a hardtop look without actually omitting the pillar. Some mid- to late-1970s models continued their previous two-door hardtop bodies, but with fixed rear windows or a variety of vinyl roof and opera window treatments.

By the end of the 1990s, almost all hardtop designs disappeared as structural integrity standards continued to increase.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

When I was 13, our family car was just like this one. We had a double wide concrete driveway and my dad let me practice driving in it. I wanted to practice parallel parking so I set up boxes to mark a parking space and parallel parked repeatedly until I got really good at it. Then I discovered I ha made the parking space on the wrong side of the driveway and had learned to park on the wrong side of the street.

41FDB64E-A065-45DD-92E6-78C476F37F2E.jpg

I miss two-tones.

One of the things I always liked about the Austin Healeys and the fifties Corvettes was the two tone and the scallop shape aft of the front wheels.

Along those lines, if I ever get to get a paint job on my Z3, I have been wanting that yellow, just like the Packard in the OP, and I have had the thought that it might work to do a two-tone yellow and white, with the tan rag-top, ala the AH.
    No number six.

My first car was a hardtop (same year, model, and ghastly color):

Not my first car, but one of my favorites. This photo is the day I bought it. 22 years old with working AC. '66 Dodge Monaco. I bought it in '88 and drove it into '99 when the AC stopped working

86.jpg
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    John B, that one - and my Dad's - was a 1949 Styleline. I remember being fascinated by the starter button on the floor, to be pressed with the driver's left foot.
    Thanks Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I learned to drive in one of these: a 62 Impala. Not everyone remembers what a 'hardtop' was... there was no 'B' pillar between the front door window, and the rear door window. They called it a 'hardtop' because it sort of looked like it could be a convertible, if the top weren't 'hard'

A school friend of mine had that car in black. It originally had been a six but he put a 283 in . By the time another friend bought it off him it had gone 396 and then 454, fun car and great memories.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    If I remember correctly the easy way to tell a 52 from a 54 Chev was the divided windscreen. Funny, we were all so fixated on 55 to 57 Chevs we wouldn't even look at a 52... now I think it's a fabulous shape, I'd love to drive it.
    There was a complete redesign in 1953. 53 and 54 look alike. 49 to 52 look alike.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    The first car I remember was our '60 Plymouth wagon:

We had a '60 Dodge wagon with the slant 6. My parents gave it to me when I was in high school.

I think these two are still sitting there waiting on some TLC.

Packard and Mercury.jpg

Mercury.jpg

Packard 02.jpg

Packard 01.jpg

Our first family car was a 1935 Plymouth, purchased in 1954.
    When I was 9 I turned on the dome light it set the headliner on fire. We all got out of the car. My mom grabbed a garden hose.
    We replaced it with a 48 Pontiac.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    There was a complete redesign in 1953. 53 and 54 look alike. 49 to 52 look alike.
    I suspected as much as I was typing, but my point was that we didn't even look at them because we were so fixated on the 55 to 57.
    Same thing applies with some of the Fords,38 standard..ick, spinner or twin spinner ..ick. Or a 30s Chev coupe ...38 or 39...nahhh it's got to be a 32,33, 34,39 Ford.
    Now I quite like those chunkier cars.
    Another one, the mk 1 jag looks heavy compared to the one everyone wanted,the mk 2, but I love them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post

Sorta reminds me of my Old Man's DeSoto of the same vintage.
    DeSoto1.jpg
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    We had a '60 Dodge wagon with the slant 6. My parents gave it to me when I was in high school.
    Our Plymouth had a big V-8 not sure the size-- I was just a kid. It had a power rear window and lots of fancy stuff. I remember it had a push button automatic transmission. I was probably 10 when we got rid of it.

My first car, my Dart, had a Chrysler 318 V-8, the only V-8 I have ever owned

Dad was a life-long Chevy man, with his first being a 1928 model. I learned to drive one similar to mmd's black Chevy, only ours was a 1951 pea-green4-door with a visor over the windshield and a rear-view mirror mounted on a spotlight. Next was a '55 which was a whole different set of wheels in terms of performance.

I do not think a '53 and a '54 Chevy look the same - tali lights and grilles are way different.

A girlfriend I had in my 20's drove one of these

I bought a '53 two door Chevy from my cousin. It burned oil very bad. Pulled the engine out and replaced the rings and bearings as soon as I got it. It would start with the starter when cold, but once warmed up had to be pushed off.
    About this color but didn't look nearly this good. The rear windows slid back to open. They would only open far enough to toss a beer can out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I think these two are still sitting there waiting on some TLC.

Packard and Mercury.jpg

Mercury.jpg

Packard 02.jpg

Packard 01.jpg

Yeah, sad really. I understand there are thousands of these "dreams" lying about all over America, and very few are for sale. Shame really but I can understand that

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I suspected as much as I was typing, but my point was that we didn't even look at them because we were so fixated on the 55 to 57.
    Same thing applies with some of the Fords,38 standard..ick, spinner or twin spinner ..ick. Or a 30s Chev coupe ...38 or 39...nahhh it's got to be a 32,33, 34,39 Ford.
    Now I quite like those chunkier cars.
    Another one, the mk 1 jag looks heavy compared to the one everyone wanted,the mk 2, but I love them now.
    Speaking of "spinners" I never got to grips with these. There were (or were there?) Ford Custom, and the Ford Customline. One had a single "dome" in the middle of the grill, and the other had two "domes". I think that's why they (Aussies) nicknamed them "single-spinners" and "twin-spinners". Is that right?

Thanks
    Norm

my family is not old enough for all those ancient packards and stuff. Back when I was born in spain my Father had this old used Opel.

103_3797.jpg

we did not know it till after he brought it over to the states, drove it for ten years, and had long sold it what it really was. A 1968 Opel Kadett Rallye. Yes, the homogulation special that Opel had to build 500 of in order to enter it in world wide rallying. It was a great little car and showed it's back end to everything on the track in it's class.. they are worth a bit of coin now.. if only we had known
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Going back 'way before my time, Grampa bought a Buick Touring Car to take the family to Iowa for reunion. Dad was 10 that summer. It replaced the Model T Grampa had before that

Quote Originally Posted by normil View Post
    Yeah, sad really. I understand there are thousands of these "dreams" lying about all over America, and very few are for sale. Shame really but I can understand that
    So much scrap by now, the bottoms will be rottted out.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    My Dad's first car (well, one exactly like this one), acquired when I was four years old:

This was our first car, an Austin 7 Pearl

Then he converted a Ford delivery van into an estate, followed by a Wolseley 14