Thread: The night parrot, Australia's most elusive bird

Default The night parrot, Australia's most elusive bird

Geoffrey Stewart, an elder, traditional owner and Birriliburu Indigenous Ranger
    Geoffrey Stewart is one of the only Martu who knows the Dreaming story of the bird now known as the night parrot.
    ABC SCIENCE: ANN JONES

In the middle of the Little Sandy Desert, an old man sits with a strong cup of tea and a story to tell.

Here, he's called Ullala Boss; in the English-speaking parts of Australia he's known as Geoffrey Stewart.

He's one of very few people in the world who has seen a night parrot alive he flushed one burning a patch of spinifex.

But this story is much older. He is telling the night parrot Dreaming story.

Two ancestral beings, he says, were gathering the animals together and naming them.

"You gotta go right back to that Dreamtime they wanted to get him, have a look at him, name him, so he could be among the rest of the birds," elder and traditional owner Rita Cutter translates from Manyjilyjarra.
    "But this little bird seen them and just disappeared, never to be mentioned or looked at." A hand movement off into the bushes.
    "And they really wanted to get a hold him.
    "They woulda had a little talk together and that two beings, they woulda put him in amongst all the rest of the birds.

"'You can join in, mix in, have fun and do whatever you want, as long as you're with your families, in the right surroundings,'" Ms Cutter translates, slipping into the voice of those elder beings.
    "But as soon as he seen them two he just disappeared. They looked, looked, lifted [the grasses] and nothing.
    "They tried to get him out of that big jumpy [spinifex].
    "Flooding it, hail stones, caused all that big rain to come to try to get him out.
    "No. He didn't move."

The parrot remained aloof from the family of birds, mysterious and unseen.

Even in the Dreaming, the night parrot was a loner, and the ancestors of humans were chasing him.

Birriliburu WA landscape
    Birriliburu in remote Western Australia is thought to be one of the night parrot's last strongholds.
    ABC SCIENCE: ANN JONES

READ MORE AT.....
    The night parrot, Australia's most elusive bird (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: The night parrot, Australia's most elusive bird

Related to the snipe?

I doubt it - the snipe isn't a parrot.

Rick

Related to the Ground Parrot.

Night Parrot

I'm not sure I'm happy hearing stories of people burning their habitat to find them. Then again, we have a forumite who delighted in telling us about the endangered Australian animals he's eaten. He seems to think he's privileged.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. So whitefellas killem for the oil unto threatened status and complain abt a sustainable take. Quite the usual with the usual.

Now do acquaint yerself the Logical Fallacies. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. How's yer mate of Haglund's going?. She who once told me that she "knows more abt Aborigines than any Aborigine"? (pers comm 2007)

BTW as you stalked me despite my persona being unposted and revealed my surname to your " informant" I do believe you are in breach of the rules.

Man up if you can or shall I refer the matter for arbitration? Chortle.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    ^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. So whitefellas killem for the oil unto threatened status and complain abt a sustainable take. Quite the usual with the usual.

Now do acquaint yerself the Logical Fallacies. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. How's yer mate of Haglund's going?. She who once told me that she "knows more abt Aborigines than any Aborigine"? (pers comm 2007)

BTW as you stalked me despite my persona being unposted and revealed my surname to your " informant" I do believe you are in breach of the rules.

Man up if you can or shall I refer the matter for arbitration? Chortle.

Good luck with that logic of yours. I'm guessing you only wanted a brain surgeon who'd had the same condition as you to operate on you, eh? No other surgeon would understand, would they?

So, tell us about this "sustainable take" of night parrots. Tell us how burning the spinifex, where they live and nest, has helped them flourish as a species. How do they taste?

Tell us about the megafauna of Oz. How did they taste, before they went extinct?

Stalk you? Yer dreamin'
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

^ a descent by the proverbial into the proverbial with the divergent proverbial... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Good luck with that logic of yours. I'm guessing you only wanted a brain surgeon who'd had the same condition as you to operate on you, eh? No other surgeon would understand, would they?

So, tell us about this "sustainable take" of night parrots. Tell us how burning the spinifex, where they live and nest, has helped them flourish as a species. How do they taste?

Tell us about the megafauna of Oz. How did they taste, before they went extinct?

Stalk you? Yer dreamin'
    Given we can't even protect the Koala from going extinct in many areas because of development I wouldn't get too moral about the megafauna if I was you.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.