Thread: Watch a Giant Spider Crab Bust Out of Its Own Shell in Time-Lapse Video

Default Watch a Giant Spider Crab Bust Out of Its Own Shell in Time-Lapse Video

SeaWorld put out a stunning video last week of a Japanese spider crab (Macrocheira kaempferi) cracking open its outer shell and seeming to clamber out of itself.
    The molting process captured in the video out of San Diego is natural. As NOAA Fisheries explains on its website, crabs cannot grow linearly like humans and other soft-skinned creatures. Instead, they periodically bust out of their confining shells and undergo growth spurts, before settling into their new shells.
    To pull off this trick, the crab secretes enzymes that separate its inner body from the hard shell, and then it develops a "paper-thin" new shell underneath. This can take weeks, NOAA Fisheries writes. And when it's done, the crab gets ready to move out of its now too-small shell. To pull off that trick, the crab absorbs seawater to swell the spaces in its shell, causing it to start to fall apart. Eventually, the old shell opens up at a seam around the main body, and the crab pulls itself free. That final step is what's seen in this video.

READ MORE AT.....
    Watch a Giant Spider Crab Bust Out of Its Own Shell in Time-Lapse Video (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: Watch a Giant Spider Crab Bust Out of Its Own Shell in Time-Lapse Video

Reminds me of someone.....
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Default Re: Watch a Giant Spider Crab Bust Out of Its Own Shell in Time-Lapse Video

Yum
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.