Thread: Unscientific Knowledge

Default Unscientific Knowledge

Much weirdness.

The legendary thread (Scientific Knowledge) has suddenly gone from 150 pages to 145 - and many Frank! posts have vanished.

Wot happened? - and how was it any different to the previous eon's worth of carp?
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Default Re: Unscientific Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Much weirdness.

The legendary thread (Scientific Knowledge) has suddenly gone from 150 pages to 145 - and many Frank! posts have vanished.

Wot happened? - and how was it any different to the previous eon's worth of carp?
    Frank posted his derogatory views about gays. I asked Admin a question about whether he had crossed a line.

Frank has left the Forum.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Silly bu**er, still,……………….

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Frank posted his derogatory views about gays. I asked Admin a question about whether he had crossed a line.

Frank has left the Forum.
    In that case, I wont be frank with you!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Expressing a deep belief that being gay is psycho-sexually or morally wrong is one thing. Homophobic foaming is another.

Yep. Reliquarian's SOP. Peas in a pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Expressing a deep belief that being gay is psycho-sexually or morally wrong is one thing. Homophobic foaming is another.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Yep. Reliquarian's SOP. Peas in a pod
    Purri is you wife able to follow your conversation with her?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

There is much knowledge that is unscientific. Because we haven't held the lens of science up to the phenomenon.

And there is also that body of knowledge that is also useful and valid... that will likely never be apprehended thru science.

I spent some time today with a friend who has a spiritually slanted, energy-based counseling practice, and she was showing me the various sizes of crystal bowls that she uses. And apparently to good effect.

The technique is centuries old. AFIK - science can't tell us precisely why or how it works... though it now can provide some hints about how brains respond to certain sounds & harmonics. But there is enough experience that has been passed down to make it - if not yet a science - at least an art. Can guide the tones to be used to help with various sorts of physical, emotional, and spiritual maladies.

And that's just the one example I bumped up against today...

Frank, otoh, was pretty much an example of how to muck up spirituality. No great loss, if gone. No foil. No prod to better thinking nor right relationship with our own spiritual sides.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

#7 Quite. She can deconstruct the (note singular) quasi Aquinian aka Reiiquaiarian interps for his embrace of the very antique Latin Mass in pursuit of his agendae and my allegory across several languages; but is more proficient in Euro quasi philosophical constructs having done French and German for a B.A plus extras and a family grounding in German, Czech and Slav (Serb). I can only do a few in Euro but a few locals here for contrast. I do believe that if one can't do ANY language without puns, jokes and allegories then you don't know any lingo . Now do a philosophical deconstruction of the text and subtexts of the monolingual colonial LBM manager of the usual with the usual. FWIW a longstanding late g/son of Robert Graves was far better versed than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Purri is you wife able to follow your conversation with her?
    Last edited by purri; 02-12-2019 at 02:19 AM.
    Xanthorrea

Purri, what's happening with that boat of yours?

Rick

I know Frank, albeit not closely, but on matters of religion I do think him very orthodox if somewhat mixed up. But then I am not the person to judge really being a complete non believer and having no real point of contact with him on such matters. His concerns in our desultory conversations are of absolutely no standing as far as I am concerned. We are not on the same philosophical planet.
    That said he's gotten used to me and I take no notice of him. That works. I quite like his boat, it packs a lot in the same length as my sailing canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    #7 Quite. She can deconstruct the (note singular) quasi Aquinian aka Reiiquaiarian interps for his embrace of the very antique Latin Mass in pursuit of his agendae and my allegory across several languages; but is more proficient in Euro quasi philosophical constructs having done French and German for a B.A plus extras and a family grounding in German, Czech and Slav (Serb). I can only do a few in Euro but a few locals here for contrast. I do believe that if one can't do ANY language without puns, jokes and allegories then you don't know any lingo . Now do a philosophical deconstruction of the text and subtexts of the monolingual colonial LBM manager of the usual with the usual. FWIW a longstanding late g/son of Robert Graves was far better versed than me.
    Que?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Que?
    He said Yes! ha

^ with conditions.. 0-:

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    He said Yes! ha
    And he took the time and effort to make it as straight-forwardly crystal clear as he is capable of <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I know Frank, albeit not closely, but on matters of religion I do think him very orthodox if somewhat mixed up. But then I am not the person to judge really being a complete non believer and having no real point of contact with him on such matters. His concerns in our desultory conversations are of absolutely no standing as far as I am concerned. We are not on the same philosophical planet.
    That said he's gotten used to me and I take no notice of him. That works. I quite like his boat, it packs a lot in the same length as my sailing canoe.

Who is Frank?

Yes. Rick (RFNK). Amber K. is going up for a bum scrub and topsides paint. Up for sale this year. Not an extortionate price but we are doing a full on house refurb in 2020. BTW, off to Yurp for 5 weeks(rowing Worlds) in SEP plus 3 weeks in Val d'Aosta and thereabouts for the hunting and truffles,
    Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    ^ with conditions.. 0-:
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Who is Frank?
    see 'Scientific Knowledge" thread, there's a weeks useless reading there Paul if you have the patience. Frank though has left the room evidently, but if he's not banned I reckon he'll be back.

Does this mean an end to that asinine thread?
    Nosce te ipsum

Depends, someone was considering a transformation I think.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Depends, someone was considering a transformation I think.
    Yep, using it for reporting and discussing real science.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The philosophic school Phenomenology does a great deal to reconcile the apparently opposed ways of spiritual knowledge and scientific knowledge. Not unrelated is the controversial synthesis advanced by Iain McGilchrist in his "The Master and His Emmissary". A taste of McGilchrist's gift for controversy can be found in his dueling essays with Steven Pinker at http://iainmcgilchrist.com/steven-pinkers-essay/

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    The philosophic school Phenomenology does a great deal to reconcile the apparently opposed ways of spiritual knowledge and scientific knowledge. Not unrelated is the controversial synthesis advanced by Iain McGilchrist in his "The Master and His Emmissary". A taste of McGilchrist's gift for controversy can be found in his dueling essays with Steven Pinker at http://iainmcgilchrist.com/steven-pinkers-essay/
    Thanks very much for the link. Steven Pinker is one of my intellectual heroes. I just read his essay, which IMHO is one of the best things he's done. No time for McGilchrist's reply yet, have to go to work, alas. This is going to be interesting.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Well, I read McGilchrist. Meh. About 1/3 over-reliance on his metaphor of a couple's strained relationship, 1/3 straw men, some quite monumental. The rest ain't bad
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman