Thread: Chainplate mount question

Default Chainplate mount question

Hi All,
    Im building a Oughtred Gannet in glued ply and am trying to make sense of the chainplate attachment shown in the drawings. They seem to indicate a 1/2 thick pad glued to the inside of the boat just below the gunwale and then the chainplate on that pad. However, the drawing also seems to show the top of the chainplate lying flush against the sheerstrake and passing upward through a notch in the gunwale. These two things seem to contradict each other so I think Im missing something. If anybody understands this and can help Id really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Steve Zicree

Default Re: Chainplate mount question

I'd go with this block, it will be stronger. Make sure that the top bolt has a big bearing surface on the outside of the boat to resist the inward component of tension peeling the chain plate inwards and drawing the fastening.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

maybe it's meant to be flush on the outside but through bolted with the backing block on the inside ?

Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    maybe it's meant to be flush on the outside but through bolted with the backing block on the inside ?

OK, bolted to the outside of the sheer passing through a notch in the rubbing bend and bolted through the doubler block on the inside. The best of all worlds.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I appreciate the guidance. I think the arrangement with the chainplate on the outside and the doubler on the inside makes the most sense.
    Truth is I’m still not decided between balance lug and gunter rig, so the chainplate might not be needed. Tough decision.

Steve Zicree