Thread: State of the Canadian Economy

Default State of the Canadian Economy

I just came across some interesting figures. Foreign business investment into Canada declined from $ 40.6 billion in 2013 to $ 23.1 billion in 2017. Over the same period, Canadian business investment into the US increased from $ 25.7 billion to $ 81.9 billion.

This is not a good reflection on the state of the Canadian economy or, maybe, our present government.

Default Re: State of the Canadian Economy

A sectoral breakdown could be interesting. If most of the investment was in the tar sands, I don't mind seeing it decline.

What are you doing about it?

It's money going into the US that I find most interesting.

That might be oil-related too.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    I just came across some interesting figures. Foreign business investment into Canada declined from $ 40.6 billion in 2013 to $ 23.1 billion in 2017. Over the same period, Canadian business investment into the US increased from $ 25.7 billion to $ 81.9 billion.

This is not a good reflection on the state of the Canadian economy or, maybe, our present government.
    Or it means nothing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-energy-exodus shows more recent data, (Stale data is a bane of discussions.)
    Last edited by Too Little Time; 02-11-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: I should learn to spell rather than relying on spell check.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Stale data is a bain of discussions.
    Bath? What? Do you mean "bane"?

Oh, Bob, you and your partisanship.

cg180425a001-eng.png

The stock of Canadian direct investment abroad rose 3.4% to $1,121.1 billion in 2017 as increased investment activity in Europe and North America was partially offset by the downward revaluation effect of a stronger Canadian dollar against the US dollar.The stock of foreign direct investment in Canada increased 1.9% to $824.0 billion, mostly reflecting funds invested by foreign direct investors in existing affiliates.
    As a result, Canada's net direct investment position with the rest of the world widened by $22.1 billion in 2017 to $297.1 billion. Over the previous 10 years, the stock of Canadian direct investment abroad grew by 117.6%—nearly double the rate of foreign direct investment in Canada.
    Feel free to follow link: Statscan
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

I was surprised there didn't seem too much of stink on the Canadian right (where were you Bob?) with Scheer's 'border security' talk...lol, build that wall Canadian edition. Next thing you know these guys will be tearing each other's eyeballs out over the abortion issue (rumblings out west indeed), and we'll have ten more years of split right wing vote and no-one to hold an insipid, vapid, clueless, childwonder Gov't to task. Thanks righties.
    "I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible that you may be mistaken." (stolen from TomF )

I wonder what Ol' Blooie's point is by posting the picture of our Prime Minister? Is he jealous of our guy's good looks? Is he thrilled that he is as orange as his guy? Is he against public prayer?

One just never knows which way the Ol' Blooie wind is a-blowin'...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    And? Are you looking to make a disparaging comment but just don't have the nuts to type the words?
    You're a sad little man.

Nosce te ipsum

Amazing that a Canadian drama and history teacher donned a costume of a major figure in Canadian history, eh?

I was going to say that it looks like Donald had his thumb on the scale, but after seeing the pictures in post 11, it became rather obvious as to what the problem actually is.

You know the previous person that we had would dress up in a turban, smoke weed and run around the world bowing and apologizing .

But we made it thru those years and now have things back on track, hang in there you will to.

Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    Oh, Bob, you and your partisanship.

cg180425a001-eng.png

Feel free to follow link: Statscan
    I am hardly partisan. I freely confess to having very little use for either Trudeau or his minister of finance but I have no use for any of the other major party leaders either. I have yet to hear anything out of the conservative camp but a series of shrill complaints and negativity, the NDP appears to be dead in the water and their new leader sure isn't going to get them sorted. The Greens are marginal at best.

In all honesty, I expect Trudeau to win the next election but I hope he ends up with a minority government.

I think he may have been a pretty fair drama teacher.

Really? Canada has an economy? I thought it was all backwoods barter up there - based primarily upon maple-sap & LaBatt's...

Maybe if we could fend off the Injun attacks out here... I could study me some economics.

Maybe Bob could help. Of course, he'd have to find someone himself to coach him up in the meantime...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Labatts is sooo 1980s. Craft brew now, baby. Of which, seasonal Spring beers with a bit of maple, eh?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Maple syrup flavoured beers are just about as disgusting as raspberry flavoured beers. Just a ploy to get kids and girlfriends to drink beer. <wink, grin>

Give me a mildly hopped pale ale like Keith's, or a nut-brown ale like a Propeller Stout (it isn't, except in name) any day regardless of season.

Not a maple fan, but I've had some amazing raspberry brews from Belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by RonW View Post
    I was going to say that it looks like Donald had his thumb on the scale, but after seeing the pictures in post 11, it became rather obvious as to what the problem actually is.

You know the previous person that we had would dress up in a turban, smoke weed and run around the world bowing and apologizing .

But we made it thru those years and now have things back on track, hang in there you will to.
    Donald has his thumb somewhere...

Jeff C

Lots of Canadian pension funds investment in OZ, Btw Conrad Black got the boot.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Btw Conrad Black got the boot.
    Lord Tubby's smackdown provided some of the most delicious schadenfreude in recent decades.