Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Viral ignorance

Default Viral ignorance

Hundreds rally to support vaccine exemptions in Washington state despite measles outbreak

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...outputType=amp

Most of us have probably seen the movie “Idiocracy”. It was suppose to be a comedy, not a tutorial.

Default Re: Viral ignorance

Electrolytes!

Peace,
    Quiet! Batin'!

Refusing to vaccinate your children should qualify as child abuse.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Every day, I encounter folks who are denialists. They read trash from folks selling 'natural supplements'; get their 'medical info' from the late nite tv ads for class action lawsuits; and they don't trust science or organized medicine.

Good times.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    And rallying to convince others to be as stupid should be a mass hate crime.

This is only going to get worse. There is money to be made and if a few people need to die so others can profit, well, that's capitalism baby!
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...cine-activist/

Netflix has just given Paltrow a platform for her Goop brand. Pseudoscience rules in the post-truth age.
    Nosce te ipsum

The internet is great at sharing knowledge, one can easily find a YouTube video on how to change the brakepads in your car. Unfortunately it is just as good at sharing stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    The internet is great at sharing knowledge, one can easily find a YouTube video on how to change the brakepads in your car. Unfortunately it is just as good at sharing stupid.
    Yes, hence my tag line.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    This is only going to get worse. There is money to be made and if a few people need to die so others can profit, well, that's capitalism baby!
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...cine-activist/

Netflix has just given Paltrow a platform for her Goop brand. Pseudoscience rules in the post-truth age.
    I named my child Apple. Obviously, I'm the person you should look to for advice.

Peace,
    Wooden, But Related, So Working...

At the risk of drifting, I will say that I was amazed and gratified by a piece on NPR yesterday that brought home the fact that humans did not have access to effective anti-bacterial drugs until 1940.

I mean, I sorta 'knew' this, but somehow, I had not realized how many people pre-WWII died of infections we dismiss as trivial today.
    Rattling the teacups.

there are time I think the whole anti-vaxxor thing is just a form of population control. It does certainly does target the weakminded
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    humans did not have access to effective anti-bacterial drugs until 1940.
    Sulfa drugs in the '30s, penicillin in 1940
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I think those people are king-hell stupid.

RFK Jr. is a prominent example.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Reckless endangerment.

And rallying to convince others to be as stupid should be a mass hate crime.
    And earning an obscene buck selling the marketing and cultivating the sheeple ought to be classified as a crime against humanity.
    No number six.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    there are time I think the whole anti-vaxxor thing is just a form of population control. It does certainly does target the weakminded
    Trouble is it targets the kids who have no say in the matter, weak minded or not.

Sulfa drugs in the '30s, penicillin in 1940
    OK.

Enough drift.

My apologies.

It seemed related at the time.
    Rattling the teacups.

But eugenics does not work.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

YAY KIDS!
    Ethan Lindenberger, frustrated by years of arguments about his mother's anti-vaccination stance, staged a quiet defection on Reddit.
    The Norwalk, Ohio, teenager needed advice, he said, on how to inoculate himself against both infectious disease and his family's dogma. At 18, he was old enough, Lindenberger explained. He wanted to get vaccinated. But he didn't know how.
    "My parents think vaccines are some kind of government scheme," Lindenberger wrote days before Thanksgiving. "But, because of their beliefs I've never been vaccinated for anything, god knows how I'm still alive."
    As anti-vaccination movements metastasize amid outbreaks of dangerous diseases, Internet-savvy teenagers are fact-checking their parents' decisions in a digital health reawakening - and seeking their own treatments in bouts of family defiance.
    At least three self-described teenagers from different states told Reddit they have a common problem: Their parents are staunchly opposed to vaccination, and they fear for their health if they do not take action.
    Different state laws affect how old minors need to be to make their own medical decisions.
    Lindenberger's post drew more than 1,000 comments, including one from someone who identified as a nurse and provided detailed information on navigating the health-care system
    For Lindenberger, the tension over vaccines started years ago after he began to notice his mother posting anti-vaccination videos on social media, he told The Washington Post on Sunday. His friends were getting vaccinated. So what was happening in his house?
    Lindenberger read scientific papers and journals. He pulled up Centers for Disease Control and Prevention studies on his phone at the dinner table, hoping his mother would relent and get him and his four younger siblings - now ages 16, 14, 5 and 2 - vaccinated.
    "I looked into it, it was clear there was way more evidence in defense of vaccines," he said.
    READ MORE AT.....
    Teens With Antivax Parents Are Turning to Reddit For Advice on Getting Vaccinated (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

If you are going to make some healthcare decisions for others, where are you going to stop?

I think vaccinations are useful, but I am opposed to forcing others to accept my views.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I named my child Apple. Obviously, I'm the person you should look to for advice.

Peace,
    Wooden, But Related, So Working...
    I know, eh? You keep your rock collection where? I'm sold!
    Nosce te ipsum

--Robert F. Kennedy Jr: “Big Pharma Completely Owns Congress” ..

https://newspunch.com/robert-f-kenne...owns-congress/

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    If you are going to make some healthcare decisions for others, where are you going to stop?

I think vaccinations are useful, but I am opposed to forcing others to accept my views.
    The thing is, it's not a just a view, it's an indisputable fact that vaccinations work.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 02-11-2019 at 05:38 PM.

It's not surprising you miss characterized the question.

The question deals with children and decisions that are made on their behalf. Sounds to me like you don't believe that parents are capable of child abuse
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

They used to have colonies for people with contagious diseases like leprosy to protect the general population. Can't we just do that with all the Antivaxxers since they are a threat to the rest of us?
    Works for me because I certainly don't want them endangering my kid.
    Sam Bach

You're going to stop when it no longer puts people's lives in jeopardy without their consent. Which, to be clear, anti-vax parents do, and should not be allowed to do. Ditto the morons who try to treat their kids with "alternative medicine" and end up killing them, and the morons who think their invisible sky daddy doesn't like transfusions.

I don't care if they weed themselves out. I do care if they harm their kids.

What are you doing about it?

I have a compromised immune system. Does this mean I have to sit back and get sick because some parents choose not to inoculate their kids and weaken the herd immunity that protects myself and others?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I have a compromised immune system. Does this mean I have to sit back and get sick because some parents choose not to inoculate their kids and weaken the herd immunity that protects myself and others?
    I will answer your question and ignore the others.

Measles occurs in the US only when it is imported from other countries. I would suggest that we do not allow foreign travel or travelers until measles no longer exists. That solves not only your problem but also the problem with people not getting vaccinations for their children.

For you in your particular situation, I would suggest that you stay at home until there are no local measles cases. There is no need for you to get sick.

I am sure you have a different view of what should be done.
    Life is complex.

Bingo. Tlt offers a false equivalence. Without a high level of participation, you no longer have herd immunity. An antantivaxer colony is reasonable- but when the contagion hits , what to do? Burn it to the ground?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Measles has been mostly eradicated in the US by means of compulsory vaccination.

NEXT!
    Rattling the teacups.

I'm vaccinated, why should I care about a bunch of stupid fooks who will most likely be dead within 25 years?
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Cervical cancer has been remarkably reduced in Australia- where there’s excellent compliance. Japan? Antivaxers paradise, virtually no vaccinations, very high cervical cancer rate. It’s not a difficult cipher.

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Measles has been mostly eradicated in the US by means of compulsory vaccination.

NEXT!
    Come to Washington State. The antivaxers have made it possible to shop for your measles locally again.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    I'm vaccinated, why should I care about a bunch of stupid fooks who will most likely be dead within 25 years?
    Now your talking, I'm with you, I got mine too and to hell with these other people.

Quote Originally Posted by RonW View Post
    Now your talking, I'm with you, I got mine too and to hell with these other people.
    Apparently you weren't vaccinated against stupid. Hey George, how long before it kills him?
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

--Robert F. Kennedy Jr: “Big Pharma Completely Owns Congress” ..

That is an entirely different problem RonW, and I agree that they do, along with big oil, the MIC, big finance and decreasingly big coal.
    Your congress is completely 'owned'. Ours slightly less so, more bribed than owned.

And the post about quarantine for the unvaccinated may actually not be so far from the actuality, purely on a public health basis.
    I also reckon the lawsuits that will emanate from the unvaccinated children in the future, and the parents of those infected because of the loss of herd immunity in the near present will drive these laws.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-11-2019 at 07:50 PM.