Thread: Dolly Parton Gives The Gift Of Literacy: A Library Of 100 Million Books

Default Dolly Parton Gives The Gift Of Literacy: A Library Of 100 Million Books

/*
    BRAVO! Well Done!
    */

Dolly Parton reads Coat of Many Colors, a children's book based on one of her signature songs, to a group of children at the Great Hall of the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C., on Tuesday.
    Shawn Miller/Library of Congress

The Library of Congress hosted a very special guest at story time this week:

Dolly Parton.

The country music legend is also a champion of early childhood literacy, through her Imagination Library. Every month, the nonprofit program mails a free book to more than a million children from infants to preschoolers.

Parton visited the Library of Congress on Tuesday to celebrate a major milestone in the Imagination Library's history: delivery of its 100 millionth book. Not bad for a program Parton founded more than two decades ago as a small, local effort to help kids in her native Sevier County, Tennessee.

"We never thought it would be this big," she told NPR in a quiet, wood-paneled room off the library's Great Hall. "I just wanted to do something great for my dad and for my home county and, at the most, maybe a couple of counties over. But then it just took wings of its own, and I guess it was meant to be."

Parton's inspiration for the Imagination Library was deeply personal: her father, Robert Lee Parton. Like many people of his generation, he began working at a young age to help support his family.

"My dad didn't get the chance to go to school. And Daddy couldn't read and write, and that was kind of crippling to him," Parton said. "He was such a smart man, though. He just had such good common sense. They call it horse sense in the country."
    "But Daddy thought it was just something he couldn't learn after he was grown, so he never tried to learn to read and write. And that was just kind of embarrassing to him," she continued. "But I didn't want Daddy to feel embarrassed."

Parton was determined to give the children of Sevier County something her father never had: early access to books. She started the Imagination Library in 1995, and involved her father, too. He was able to see the program take off before he died in 2000.

"He got to hear the kids call me 'The Book Lady.' He got a big kick out of that," she said. "But he took great pride and felt like he'd helped do something special."
    READ MORE AT.....
    Dolly Parton Gives The Gift Of Literacy: A Library Of 100 Million Books (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: Dolly Parton Gives The Gift Of Literacy: A Library Of 100 Million Books

I always did like her. Did you hear how a few month ago she basically told celebrity political activists to shut the Hell up?
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Default Re: Dolly Parton Gives The Gift Of Literacy: A Library Of 100 Million Books

That is way cool. Sent the link to my son. https://www.facebook.com/Books-Behin...9952866229003/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

She also kind of owned the Grammys last night. Pretty amazing person.

She is a very interesting person.

I saw an interview with her over the weekend and the interviewer went through some of her favorite comments. My favorite was:

How do you do your hair? -- I don't know. I'm never there when it's done.

She's a major institution in East Tennessee. Beyond libraries and books and hospitals, right after the bad forest fire in the Smokies two years ago she immediately stated that she would pay temporary rent for everyone who was burned out and she did.

From what I understand....

She grew up on the wrong side of the tracks....

Dirt poor, she saw what it did to her Dad, she knew what it felt like, saw what it did to her community.

Dolly had a talent which allowed to leave that place, but, she remembered. Lord help her, she could not forget.

Dolly traded that talent into wealth and influence.

Being Dolly made her want to change the status quo, so she does things that have a profound difference to the people in her world, local first.

Dolly Parton is one of my heroes. One of the people who give me hope for the human race.

I have always admired Dolly Parton. A helluva talent and a helluva human being.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Tribalism is family and extended family.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    I have always admired Dolly Parton. A helluva talent and a helluva human being.
    Loved her music and her personality since I was a small child.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

my grandkids get books from her. She is pretty close to being an angel, but so is my grandaughter.

I was fortunate to see Ms. Parton get her start on a Knoxville television show hosted by a local character and former mayor, Cas Walker. One of the best albums I have is TRIO, a collaboration of Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Emmylou Harris. Absolutely great.

My young niece is a part of the program and receives regular books for free. Its a good thing!