Thread: Paint options, I need advice

Default Paint options, I need advice

Gonna build a river cat in the spring I bought everything I need except for paint and primer. Boat will be stored on a trailer. beam 6' LOA 21' sectional hull type for disassembly. Should I use epoxy paint or polyurethane? First time building stitch and glue and never worked with epoxy much and didnt know which has a better bond. Thanks for input

Default Re: Paint options, I need advice

Will your paint be over glass/epoxy then?

Are you a 'kid gloves' boat-handler, or are you hard on things?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Will your paint be over glass/epoxy then?

Are you a 'kid gloves' boat-handler, or are you hard on things?
    I take care of my things lol I have a few boats only one I beat up is my jon, my sailboat (fiberglass) I keep immaculate but I would be using it for camp/fish trips on the 3 rivers in pitts: the mon, ohio, and Allegheny so I would take good care of it well, . I chose a cat build for stability and I don't have one lol

Then any of the normal options should work for you. The general rule is the easier to work with, the more often it will need to be refreshed.

Another consideration is that a lot of the work for a good paint job is prep work. Which would argue for more durable finishes. But some folks cherish the Spring ritual of repainting... and welcome the opportunity it affords to thoroughly inspect their boats.

Also, generally speaking, the easier to work with, the quicker they will lose their gloss, and the less expensive initially.

The following are the arrows most commonly found in my quiver --

There are both oil-based and water-based 'porch & deck' paints that work well.

Then there are traditional oil-based enamels. Like Kirby's & Marshall's Cove.

Then the monourethanes. Like Interlux Brightside.

Then the 2-part polyurethanes. Like Interlux Perfection.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I was looking at either a 2 part epoxy paint or a polyurethane like pettit. I just wasn't sure if epoxy would bond better or not. Only ever used oil based on a lumberyard skiff no epoxy or fiberglass, lasted about 10 years but now she's firewood. Swear to God the planks were ripped from 2x4 I got at home depot selected ones without knots and saved alot of money for lasting that long so those who say big box lumber is junk just gotta go thru it. It wasn't a yacht but it sure did bring alot of good memories

I can’t take credit for this - a YouTube channel I really like has turned me on to it and I haven’t personally used it yet, but look into a brand named Alexseal. As I understand it, it’s a two part poly that has the benefit of Awlgrip in that you can roll and tip it, but you can also cut and buff it later to do touch ups and repairs. Maybe too “yachty” for what you have in mind, but figured I’d throw it out there just in case. Enjoy your build!

I prefer oil based paints as they cure rapidly and wear well. The Rustoleum line, either marine or housepaint, has worked well for my non-fussy uses.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

It will probably come down to who has the color you like. And how easy it is to get it. Then maybe the price.

We have used Interlux Brightside, Kirby, Pettit EZPoxy, TotalBoat WetEdge, Rustoleum Topside and VALSPAR Ultra.

Jamestown Distributors has great Tech help and we have liked their WetEdge. Kirby has great customer service too, esp when the owner answers the phone. He can custom mix colors.

WetEdge Fire Red

IMG_8823.jpg

Pettit Sea Foam Green

IMG_2984.jpg

Kirby Orange

IMG_6694.jpg

I am using industrial epoxy and polyurethane paints. They are cheaper than the ones with a yacht pictured in the can.

The producer does not recommend polyurethane paint in submerged parts, so I use epoxy as a primer everywhere and then antifoul below waterline and polyurethane above. Epoxy paints don't take ultraviolet well.

Dreaming a schooner since 1988: