Thread: Pickup Truck boat

Default Pickup Truck boat

Hello everyone. I'm coming to you all for some suggestions on my first sailboat to build. I have a few designs in mind but i thought I'd lay out the requirements to you all and maybe there are some others that I haven't though of. Here is what I need from this boat:

Musts:

1. simple construction suitable for not very handy first time builder
    2. able to daysail 2 large adults, 1 of which is not an experienced sailor(translation: feel stable and be self rescuing)
    3. row decently
    4. be able to rig and unrig quickly(under 10 minutes)
    5. fit in the back of my 02 tundra's bed(6.5 foot bed, so a LOA of less than 12 ft or some kind of nesting)
    6. hull weighs less than ~130 lbs

Wish list:
    1. hull weighs less than 100 lbs
    2. have the ability to sleep 1 in cockpit w/ boom tent
    3. decent open water ability(bay chop)
    4. good open water upwind ability(I would prefer to avoid a motor)
    5. ability to comfortably reef on the water

To give you some more context, sailing waters will primarily be lakes and bays mostly in florida.

some of the boats that I've had my eye on for this project are Jim Michalak's Piccup Pram(and variants), CLC Passagemaker Dinghy, and Michael Storer's Oz Goose

Let me know if you all have any questions. Of course build pics will be forthcoming once a decision is made.

Default Re: Pickup Truck boat

12' is a pretty stringent requirement to meet given all your others, especially the "carry 2 large adults" part. Despite the added expense, I suspect you might be happier in the end if you're willing to use a small lightweight trailer. You'd get a LOT more boat that way.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

My immediate reaction is to buy a trailer to get most of your wants and wishes ticked.

But...there is a very considered design solution from John Harris at CLC - the CLC NED dinghy does actually nest and fit in your load bed - it's a 75 inch/ 6'3" centre section - does sleep one under a tent, is easy to build - it comes as a kit - and is almost light enough. With its 50kg water balast and decks it should be safe enough out in the chop. With its foils and jib/ Gunter main it should get upwind well or use the balanced lug mizzen plan. Its design displacement with waterballast is perfect with two 100kg adults. On water reefing will be possible with the mizzen. It does actually tick all your boxes! On the weight front John coated his boat with epoxy and glass. That omitted or restricted to the bottom of the hull/ interior - it should come in on your weight req.

https://www.clcboats.com/life-of-boa...on-Dinghy.html

Dad - keyhavenpotterer - was taken with this little boat (he wanted to drive somewhere quickly around the UK then pull/ slide it out of his van into the water). When he lay dying of cancer, John Harris sent him a set of plans just to look at and cogitate. John Harris is one of the good guys.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 02-11-2019 at 08:23 AM.

The Goose was the one that occurred to me first as I read your design brief. They row ok, but not as well as some of your other choices. Ticks all the other boxes quite nicely, though.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

We have a standard joke about posts like this from new builders: "I want a boat that can sleep two, carry four, costs less than $200 to build, can circumnavigate....and be cartopped!"

Yes, don't we all!!

However the reality is that unless you're built like ArnoldSchwarzenegger and have excellent health insurance, cartopping anything very large can be dangerous to the boat, your back, and other drivers on the roadways. Plus you then have to find a way to transport it around your property and prop it up on something for storage -- which a trailer does very well. I've done a lot of car (and van-) topping over the years, mostly large canoes but also boats like my Cosine Wherry.

So if your no-trailer requirement is primary, you should give up on the sailing part. A SOF pram would meet most of your other requirements but be slow to row. Some of the longer SOF designs will row MUCH better and carry more crew. There are a few SOF sailing designs being pioneered, but the stresses require heavier frames and supports so they'll be close to your maximum weight limits.

That said, take a look at Michalak's Piccup Pram v 1 and 2. It meets most of your requirements but won't be fun to row more than a few miles, particularly in a chop. With a decent sail it can really move!

Here I am "sailing" a friends Piccup Pram.
    Last edited by Thorne; 02-11-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    My immediate reaction is to buy a trailer to get most of your wants and wishes ticked.

But...there is a very considered design solution from John Harris at CLC - the CLC NED dinghy does actually nest and fit in your load bed - it's a 75 inch/ 6'3" centre section - does sleep one under a tent, is easy to build - it comes as a kit - and is almost light enough. With its 50kg water balast and decks it should be safe enough out in the chop. With its foils and jib/ Gunter main it should get upwind well or use the balanced lug mizzen plan. Its design displacement with waterballast is perfect with two 100kg adults. On water reefing will be possible with the mizzen. It does actually tick all your boxes! On the weight front John coated his boat with epoxy and glass. That omitted or restricted to the bottom of the hull/ interior - it should come in on your weight req.

Dad - keyhavenpotterer - was taken with this little boat (he wanted to drive somewhere quickly around the UK then pull/ slide it out of his van into the water). When he lay dying of cancer, John Harris sent him a set of plans just to look at and cogitate. John Harris is one of the good guys.
    I love everything about this post. The wee boat and the tale. Just lovely.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    But...there is a very considered design solution from John Harris at CLC - the CLC NED dinghy It does actually tick all your boxes!

Well, it certainly can carry the weight of two 100 kg adults. But looking at the illustration of the guy rowing, I'm less convinced that two people would actually fit comfortably aboard.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Dave Gerr's Nester dinghy and/or his Pippin design look to fit the bill and are much better looking boats than the John Harris one (at least in my opinion - and a prettier boat is easier to sell on than a boxy one, no matter how competent or efficient it is):

https://gerrmarine.com/Small_Boats.html

Plans and build instructions for the Nester dinghy are provided for free in his The Nature of Boats book but you'd need eyes like a hawk and some previous experience and knowledge to build from them, IMHO. He states that the complete Nester weighs 130 pounds so each half would be about 65 pounds - not unmanageable. No sailing rig is shown but that could be added later and/or copied from the Pippin design.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    12' is a pretty stringent requirement to meet given all your others, especially the "carry 2 large adults" part. Despite the added expense, I suspect you might be happier in the end if you're willing to use a small lightweight trailer. You'd get a LOT more boat that way.

Tom
    Ohh, I dunno.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Sounds to me like you should be looking at take down catamarans. You could go longer if the 2 hulls could be carried on a lumber rack on the truck, and longer would be much better.

I wonder if there's a design for a SOF take-down cat. Someone here will know, they always do. This is a fabulous forum. But even a hard shell cat's individual components could be light enough to handle one at a time.

this is it, but I think you have to buy it, not build it.

https://nestawayboats.com/wp-content...March-2015.pdf

The Spindrift can be built in two pieces, or more accurately built complete then cut in half between two bulkheads. If fits your requirements. Although I agree with what has been said, yes it will hold the weight of two adults easily, but being comfortable sailing might be a different story.

http://bandbyachtdesigns.com/spindrift/

E50E2F98-58A5-4179-A8AF-EFC663B85EC7.jpeg
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Great feedback here! I'm asking questions specifically because asking is much cheaper than building something that isnt what you wanted I also know that buying used is cheaper than building but nothing out there really fits the design brief. The closest thing would be something like a bauer 10 or 12 but GRP dinghys start to get pretty heavy to manhandle ashore without a trailer, although I'd be willing to invest in a dolly for the right boat.

Just to give a little more context, I've owned a second hand Goat Island Skiff in the past so I'm decently familiar with how a lightly built plywood boat handles with a load(I've sailed that with about 350kg of people in it pretty comfortably) I also know that stability is subjective. I've seen people on this forum refer to the goat as both very tippy and very stable.

More important that "stability" really is ease of capsize recovery. Since I'm in florida I'm not terribly worried about getting wet in the relatively warm waters here.

Unfortunately the trailer is not an option. The S/O and I just purchased a teardrop camper(thats a caravan to you British folks) so I want something I can take with us in the back of a truck when we go camping on the bays and intracoastal. If it was up to me we would have just bought a compac 19 or a montgomery 17 and camped on that but people keep telling me that compromise is important in relationships

Sailing is much more important than rowing if that helps as well. I was pretty happy with how the goat island skiff rowed but i'm no expert on that.

I absolutely love the NED but I think the water ballast tanks are a bit more than I want to take on for a first time build unless someone can give me a good reason why not.

The catamaran is an interesting idea but i don't have a lot of experience with them.

The Gerr boats look interesting but look like they would come up with a lot of water after a capsize. The piccup and goose with the integral tanks seem like they might come up with less(or potentially none in the case of a side tanked goose)

The mayfly 12 could also be an option? It feels like I'm looking at the smallest end of the "boats that could complete the Texas 200".

Thank you all for the feedback. I know us novices can be quite unreasonable. =)

Edit: The spindrift is nice as well. I had forgotten they went all the way up to 12. The nesting one definitely has some potential.
    Last edited by SmokedGouda; 02-11-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Look up the Big Dory plan 21' LOA With a sail rig added it makes a strong sea worthy sailer and rowing craft. I can be built for about $300 using lumberyard wood for a first time builder. I think Bolger is the designer not certain of that, some one else will know for sure.
    "Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by SmokedGouda View Post
    The mayfly 12 could also be an option? It feels like I'm looking at the smallest end of the "boats that could complete the Texas 200".
    I like the Mayfly a lot. It's a "sit on the bottom" boat if things like seats matter to you, though. (I've always been comfy enough without a seat). I've seen them handle fairly tough conditions in the Texas 200 without any fuss, really. But it's not a super light boat, either. But you could do a lot worse for your needs if you decide it'll actually fit in your truck, and you can get it up there without too much hassle. Probably not something I'd want to do without having two people.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

From the safety of my armchair, I'd say the original version of the Piccup Pram is the best for the mission. It was designed for just this, it's been proven over the years and it will load and unload easily and rig for those spontaneous sailing sessions very quickly. I'm a fan of Michalak's various pram-type designs. He camps on his (or used to), and he says he's rowed 7 miles in two hours. According to his book, it takes 400 pounds of load in addition to its 90 pound weight to get down to it's max 6" DWL.

This doesn't sail or row, but it is a pickup truck boat. https://youtu.be/YVjo6YOT3Zg?t=4
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

It sounds like one possible way to get a cartopper with additional length would be to carry it on a roof rack on the teardrop trailer. I know that this *might* require you to remove it to raise the back kitchen lid, but for a longer boat it might be worth the hassle.

Or put a lumber rack and boat loading system on the Tundra -
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...tacoma.438088/

Here's a photo of a friend's Piccup Pram with leeboards in the Dutch style and fairly over canvassed. Tons of fun to sail.
    Last edited by Thorne; 02-13-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The Pickup Pram is 11’ long. The Tundra’s bed is 6’6” long, the Pram will stick out 52”. Will this get in the way of the travel trailer? Especially when you crank a tight turn. I see a nesting dingy working well, or a roof rack on the Tundra and hoist up system.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

I pull my Shellback dinghy around pretty easily in the bed of my Ford Ranger (6 ft x 4 ft between the wells). I have a little dolly, and I can slide it in and out of the bed single-handed no problem. I haven't tried to pull my teardrop with the boat in the bed, but I think it would work. Perhaps the trailer tongue could be extended a bit?

It's a great little boat and a fun build, but it is a tight squeeze for two sailing. Nonetheless, my partner and I had some happy afternoons sailing on the Ottawa River last summer. All sorts of room for two rowing though.

My next sailboat will be a bit bigger, and will need to be trailered.