Thread: Another outstanding model railroad

Default Another outstanding model railroad

Jeff C

Default Re: Another outstanding model railroad

That is amazing. Nicely done video as well.

Model railroaders are more insaner than woodenboaters. Cool video. Thanks for the post
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I admire that level of detail the way I admire a good musician. That's spectacular!

The level of detail there is incredible.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

What scale is that?

It's so good that you get a shock when you see people in the background.
    In my railroading days I got the Narrow Gage and Short Line Gazette. A standard I could never hope to emulate. Much of the content was actually incredibly detailed dioramas often shot with real scenery in the background. A layout of any scale requires a lot of space, in that scale even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    What scale is that?
    I believe it's Fn3 scale--large scale, narrow gauge. The track gauge is the same as LGB track.

Jeff C

Here's a link to the website of the lunatics who built that thing:

The Suncoast Center for Finescale Modeling

From the site: "This 1:20.3 scale modular model railroad consisting of forty modules for a layout size of 45 feet by 45 feet."
    Last edited by Chris Noto; 02-11-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Cheaters. Instead of evergreens, really good model railroaders make deciduous trees, complete with acorns and falling leaves, so that they can replicate the changing of the seasons.

Sheesh.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I don't know the proper term for it, but watch the drive mechanism as the engine passes. That's about as real as it gets!

Do you think the OP should have included a NUDITY warning?
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Do you think the OP should have included a NUDITY warning?
    It got kind of X rated there in the middle didn’t it?

I like the model logging railroads, and with the introductions of the skeleton log cars and replicas of the gear driven Shay locos in G, HO and N scales they're becoming pretty popular. You get to build a lot of cool logging camp shacks and other rustic structures as well.

One of the companies in Europe that makes all sorts of plastic human and animal figures in various scales for model railroads has always had a few offerings of nudists and skinny-dippers to go along with their more normal offerings. I take apart my N-Scale dome cars and use their regular figures to add passengers sitting inside the domes. I guess I could do a car full of nudists, just to see if observers are paying close attention.

The thing about trees is that in order to start to look good, you have to have literally hundreds of them, and good ones can get pretty pricey. In large scale like the video, it isn't unusual to pay up to five bucks for a single nice tree if you buy them. In N-Scale I can buy the cheapest, bottle-brush-style trees I can find in packs of fifty or 100. Then I spray them with green spray paint and give them the shake-and-bake treatment in a bag full of ground up green foam while the paint is still sticky. The best deciduous trees I have seen were actually made using dried goldenrod for the limbs, trunk and branches and dusting it with chunky ground foam to make the leaves. No acorns that I can remember.

This is a small space in our kitchen where the trains cut through above the microwave, cook books and Max's dog treat station - out of and back into my office on the shelves. The pines are my cheapo trees, the red one was purchased. Using N-Scale, I can get a lot more into a small space, with two 53' long loops of track on a shelf-top footprint which has less square footage than a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I can run long trains and they actually go away and come back, rather than just chase their tails around the layout. The humans are about 3/8" tall. I carved the fish that the guy standing behind the canoe is holding and the eagle in the tree, which are both about 1/8" long.

island5.jpg

island4.jpg

That's cool. I've always felt that N-scale provides the best layout design/realism/square feet opportunities.
    "The future is already here it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson