Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some Good News on the Civil Liberties Front

Default Re: Some Good News on the Civil Liberties Front

I think that would work in Oklahoma.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien tambiťn" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

While there are times I really dislike living in this state, this is one of the times I am glad I live in NJ. Our Gun laws are rather draconian compared to some states, but never have I not felt safe while here.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    SD Governor Kristi Noem (R) recently signed Senate Bill 47 which removes permit requirements for carrying concealed firearms in South Dakota. Beginning July 1, 2019, a citizen no longer needs the "permission" of state government to exercise and enjoy their 2nd Amendment right.

Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt (R) has indicated that he too will sign similar legislation pending in that state. His doing so will make 15 states where all that is needed to fully exercise one's gun rights is the 2nd Amendment itself.
    Thanks for the tip. That's two states I'll stay out of.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Hmm, if a man wearing a kilt appeared with a Claymore or a Broadsword in 'open carry' what would be the reaction?
    You're off the hook, Todd. skuthorp now holds the lead for ridiculous.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. There is no comparison between kiltwear and a sports uniform.

Tell us. What is the appropriate handgun holster for a kilt-wearing revolver carrier...wool plaid?
    Like I said before, it is apparently just something that you don't understand or know anything about, so your typically snarky remarks just make you look dumb. If you care to learn, which you probably don't, these days Highland wear (which is what this is, despite not being a very nice example of it) is more like ceremonial clothing. There are certain generally accepted guidelines or standards which tend to come with it and following them to a reasonable degree shows respect for the tradition. Strapping on a crappy holster and western revolver on top of the Highland kilt is well afoul of these guidelines in the eyes of just about any serious kilt wearer and just makes Americans look stupid(er).

p.s. A "plaid" in Highland wear is a specific object. The phrase you should be using for what you are picturing should be wool "tartan".

I really don't worry much when someone who is clearly ignorant of the situation and who rarely ever contributes anything worthwhile to the forum calls me ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    . . . itís only since the SSRIís came on the market that such mass shootings have taken place.
    . . .
    Itís only since the SSRIís came on the market in a country with at LEAST one privately-owned small arm per capita that such mass shootings have taken place.
    Rattling the teacups.

You open by calling the guy a moron, and I'm snarky.

Play your silly fashion games, you elitist snob. It's exactly what I expect from resident of Madison.

Be sure to let us know the proper non-moronic way for a highlander to openly carry a revolver.

I really don't worry much when someone who is clearly ignorant of the situation and who rarely ever contributes anything worthwhile to the forum calls me ridiculous.
    Yes...I can tell.

What makes anyone think all these mass shooters were on pharmaceuticals? Oh yeah, you read it on the internet. It must be true.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

Sturgis will be interesting. Liquor, Hogs, and everyone packin heat.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    While there are times I really dislike living in this state, this is one of the times I am glad I live in NJ. Our Gun laws are rather draconian compared to some states, but never have I not felt safe while here.
    It annoyed me that I wasn't allowed to pump my own gas when I lived there. Otherwise I enjoyed living in New Jersey. I wish I had been smart enough to have a sail & oar boat there--I lived on Brigantine Island with a dock in my backyard, and never got out on the water.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Hmm, if a man wearing a kilt appeared with a Claymore or a Broadsword in 'open carry' what would be the reaction?[

Merely a shrug. As Steve Martin put it so eloquently lo these many years ago, ďDead men donít wear plaid!Ē

You open by calling the guy a moron, and I'm snarky.
    He is, and you usually are.

Play your silly fashion games, you elitist snob. It's exactly what I expect from resident of Madison.
    Maybe, but I'd certainly rather be me than you. What have you ever contributed to this place?

Be sure to let us know the proper non-moronic way for a highlander to openly carry a revolver.
    Actually, highlanders don't. It's moronic American rednecks that think they need to open carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    "What ever happened to "well regulated"?
    I keep asking.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

What are the longterm trends in gun murders in states with constitutional carry? Vermont's is quite low

I'm "pro-gun", but I am acutely aware of the difficulties in accurately shooting a handgun, especially one with a sight-radius short enough to be concealed, under pressure, and the legal knowledge necessary to do so properly. Thus, I feel that anyone carrying a firearm in public should be trained to the same standards. Police, security guards, private citizens, everyone. A very simple equation. Anyone who carries shall be allowed, but must also pass objective training. NOT to possess a firearm at home, but only as a requisite to carry in public. Anyone who doesn't pass training, can't hit the broad size of a barn, does not carry, and that includes police. Do you want police carrying firearms with NO TRAINING?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Do you want police carrying firearms with NO TRAINING?
    i'd like to see police required to take as much classroom training in social work and role playing work in de-escalation tactics as they do gunfight training and time at the range
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i'd like to see police required to take as much classroom training in social work and role playing work in de-escalation tactics as they do gunfight training and time at the range
    +1. Absolutely. For one thing, screaming louder and louder often does not intimidate someone to become less threatening, the result is the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    It annoyed me that I wasn't allowed to pump my own gas when I lived there. Otherwise I enjoyed living in New Jersey. I wish I had been smart enough to have a sail & oar boat there--I lived on Brigantine Island with a dock in my backyard, and never got out on the water.

Tom
    depending on how long ago that was.. you might not recognize Brigantine anymore.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I'm "pro-gun", but I am acutely aware of the difficulties in accurately shooting a handgun, especially one with a sight-radius short enough to be concealed, under pressure, and the legal knowledge necessary to do so properly. Thus, I feel that anyone carrying a firearm in public should be trained to the same standards. Police, security guards, private citizens, everyone. A very simple equation. Anyone who carries shall be allowed, but must also pass objective training. NOT to possess a firearm at home, but only as a requisite to carry in public. Anyone who doesn't pass training, can't hit the broad size of a barn, does not carry, and that includes police. Do you want police carrying firearms with NO TRAINING?
    and insurance. If I have to have insurance on a car that might maim or kill somebody, who should gun owners be exempt from carrying insurance on a device designed to kill?

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    and insurance. If I have to have insurance on a car that might maim or kill somebody, who should gun owners be exempt from carrying insurance on a device designed to kill?
    Make it apply universally to police as well, and I would support that, provided the costs are not so prohibitive as to allow only those of high income to own firearms. Don't forget, the government provides free attorneys to those who cannot afford one, as a constitutional right.

provided the costs are not so prohibitive as to allow only those of high income to own firearms.
    Shouldn't the market set the rates?
    Don't forget, the government provides free attorneys to those who cannot afford one, as a constitutional right.
    hahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

phew i'm recovering from broken ribs, don't make me hurt myself, ya bastard. . .

hahahahahaha. . .

damn
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Like I said before, it is apparently just something that you don't understand or know anything about, so your typically snarky remarks just make you look dumb. If you care to learn, which you probably don't, these days Highland wear (which is what this is, despite not being a very nice example of it) is more like ceremonial clothing. .
    Just so. True highlanders wear thick woolly jerseys, jeans and wellies with the tops turned down.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

It may be some comfort to Maria Butina as she sits in jail that at least in this small way, her struggle, together with the civil-liberties-loving Russians, who sent her here to fight for gun rights, were not in vain.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Not just a "six shooter", Todd. That's a six shooter with ivory grips like Patton used to have, though they may have been broken in a bar fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Why is this moron wearing a six shooter over a kilt?