Thread: Poor Vega

Default Poor Vega

Just got the sad news of Vega falling over when being hauled out, to add insult to injury, when she was being righted, the crane driver got a bit carried away and tipped her over the other way.
    Been following their exploits on fb for some time now after reading the book Vega Adventures (well worth reading for any WB fan), they've been doing some great charity work on an old Baltic Trader
    The boat is their home and life, run almost entirely on charitable donations

https://www.facebook.com/Historic-Ve...5068434229063/

Default Re: Poor Vega

better days

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Oh bugger.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Wow, tough crowd on here, I thought this might at least raise an eyebrow or two..

Eyebrows raised, artif; just awaiting a follow-up post (hopefully with more pictures) describing the extent of damage and how repairs will be effected.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Ouch, that could be painful. It looks like she actually fell off the cradle. I wonder if the blocks went though her bottom as she went over? I wonder how badly she filled with water? Probably not good.

Undoubtedly the yard will be paying for all the repairs.

News on their facebook page indicated she held up well. further survey will be revealing.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

I hope the yard gets the bill, but I know whenever I haul they make me sign away all rights and claim that they might just break my boat in half and I have to be okay with that. Some yards refuse to haul wooden boats entirely, not that wood was at fault here.

Before I bought her, Granuaile was dropped on her bow when a travel lift strap slipped. I would have viewed rigging the straps with no horizontal connection and with the bow strap too far forward as culpable negligence. Anyway, I was glad to know of it and of the realization that a bit of crushed wood in the stem could turn into rot. Which it did. At least I knew what was coming.

Point is, there's direct and contrecoup type damage on both sides of the hull. Even if nothing is obviously splintered, I would sure inspect fastenings, especially around the floors.

She is leaking just under the turn of the bilge so I'd be expecting broken fasteners and maybe frames as well.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I hope the yard gets the bill, but I know whenever I haul they make me sign away all rights and claim that they might just break my boat in half and I have to be okay with that. Some yards refuse to haul wooden boats entirely, not that wood was at fault here.
    I lost my Folkboat due to a crane incident, with no comebacks. That was the day i decided i will not own anything i can not launch myself.
    Accidents can and do happen, its how they are resolved that is important, hopefully Vega and crew will endevour.

She filled with water when she went over on both sides, looks like the yard are going to do the repairs on their insurance, but Shane, Meggi and the cat will need somewhere to stay while the repairs are being done. They also had several laptops and other equipment on board ready for delivery to the schools they support.
    In amongst all the bad news there have been some fantastic offers of help, and they have a donation site set-up as well

Last edited by artif; 02-11-2019 at 01:54 PM.

I am following it, it's just a nightmare, I saw the comment about the machinery / electrics are all a write off.
    Something I'm curious about, I see the " historic vessel vega" but no write up on its history. Is there anything?

More info here https://www.sailvega.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I am following it, it's just a nightmare, I saw the comment about the machinery / electrics are all a write off.
    Something I'm curious about, I see the " historic vessel vega" but no write up on its history. Is there anything?

Interesting, thanks for that.
    The Vega that is famous here is much smaller, has an Atkin look to her, so I was curious about this one.

They refer to the ship as H/V Vega. Is the H/V Historic Vessel? Not a designation I've heard before.

Sad news, glad the yard will take care of her.

It's coming up on 10 years since I hauled my boat out. This sort of thing really helps me to procrastinate some more.
    Will

I've been following on FB. Sad story.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    It's coming up on 10 years since I hauled my boat out. This sort of thing really helps me to procrastinate some more.
    How's her bottom looking?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk