Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poor Vega

Default Re: Poor Vega

For engine parts try here (UK but may be of help) Parts4Engines

Thanks for the encouragement. We have been doing our humanitarian work for over 15 years now. Just as sad as what happened to Vega is the fact 18 islands, some so remote when we leave they do not see another outside face until we return, will be going without medical supplies for the health posts and midwives. I followed the link you posted but they did not have a parts catalogue only a few basics such as filtres.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I am following it, it's just a nightmare, I saw the comment about the machinery / electrics are all a write off.
    Something I'm curious about, I see the " historic vessel vega" but no write up on its history. Is there anything?
    Vega was built in Olve, Norway in 1892 to carry heavy concentrated weight such as engines, generators, bricks and cement in the North Sea. She was certified for trade in the Arctic. If you visit our website at www.sailvega.com or facebook at "Historic Vessel Vega" you can learn a lot more. we have been doing our humanitarian work delivering educational and medical supplies to remote islands for over 15 years now.

Unhappy Re: Poor Vega

Wooden boat web.jpgThis is only a small part of our beloved collection of Wooden Boat magazines going back to the early 1980's. It hurts to see them trashed by pure incompetence. Meggi and I loved those old articles. They were full of sound advice which never goes out of date. Things like this cannot be replaced with money or sympathy. For us they were treasures for the future.

Things don't appear to be going well for Vega at the moment, seems like they need a local project manger to drive the project.

Dear friends of the humanitarian vessel Vega,
    We have not posted an update on Vega’s restoration after the boat yard where we were hauling out for our annual maintenance dropped her from the cradle, twice, damaging her port side and flooding our boat completely, simply because we kept hoping to have some good news to share.
    The truth is a sad tale of delay and obstruction at every turn. Although several ribs have been replaced – we have watched bigger jobs completed in a week for other boats. A repair and restoration which should be half-finished is still in its early stages. Meggi, working almost alone, has salvaged much of the interior furnishings.
    We are being held hostage with our boat broken, all the electronics ruined, all electrical systems damaged, new batteries trashed, and this blasted yard cannot even provide an awning to keep the sun from drying out the deck planking or rain from pouring in through sprung deck seams. We get the feeling they believe if they ignore us long enough we will give up and go away.
    The boatyard refuses to give us the workers needed to get the job done. The boat still has not been washed down inside, the old wiring has yet to be removed, the engine is still awaiting a mechanic and the list goes on. Every day is a new promise of “tomorrow”- which never comes – accompanied by a constant stream of moans and groans about the shortage of workers. Mind you, there are always workers available for other boats. To make matters worse, we are not allowed to employ our own labour.
    What began as a horrible experience has become a nightmare. Our home has been ravaged by negligence. Many of the antiques and books we collected over the years were destroyed. Most of our clothing sent out to be washed has mysteriously disappeared and our insurance company is hopeless. Although the boatyard has agreed to accept full responsibility very little actually happens.
    If we sound at our wits end then this update has clearly relayed Vega’s present status. We need all the help we can get but have no idea which direction to turn.

I saw that on Facebook. Sad. I don't think a project manager is the answer. Sounds like they are in a yard making choices between paying jobs and a non paying job for which they have accepted responsibility. In Indonesia I think? I'd be a little surprised if legal action or anything much else will get things moving.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

We are in Thailand now. A small town call Satun on the south west coast. Google "boatyard Satun, Thailand.

Maybe the answer lies in making it a paying job. Which means sorting out the insurance. But I suppose your insurer in theory pays you, but seeks to recover it's costs from the yard, which may or may not have insurance. Maybe then the other priority is moving, somehow, to another yard, as this yard is ultimately your adversary.

One presumes the crane driver/s will loose their licences and their jobs?

I wish you and the ship the very best of luck, and a decent carpenter or two.

It's gone very quiet on the Vega fb page with a rather cryptic last post about removing a video. I wonder if lawyers have got involved or the yard has caught on to the negative publicity.

I'm hoping they've just decided there's nothing to be gained by shaming the yard, rather be friends and get the work done. I fear that's wild optimism.