Thread: Drain plug question

Default Drain plug question

So, I'm about to put my Cape Dory Typhoon on a mooring. It has a drain plug in the keel. Do I just screw the plug in, or do I need to use some kind of sealant goop on the threads before putting it in?

Here's the boat:

Mango.jpg

Thanks,

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Default Re: Drain plug question

I have used moly grease, and a very thin piece of rag, eg a piece of bedsheet. Easy to undo when the time comes and gives a good seal.

I have always used them dry. Never a problem.

I do mine dry. That boat will have a Spartan Marine drain plug, assuming it's original. IIRC, they make them with DrySeal threads - so nothing needed. If you'd like a bit of something anyway - I would use a couple of wraps of teflon tape. Just a couple - too much prevents the plug from threading far enough. The teflon tape would also make removal easier.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Pine tar or tallow.

Hey! I've got some pine tar bought only because I wanted to see what it was.

I apply some anti-seize product.( Neverseize, etc) Garboard drains do stick occasionally and, if they do, the soft brass deforms quite quickly when a wrench is applied, which then makes removal a chore. YMMV.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Many drain plugs have a recessed square into which you insert what amounts to a square allen wrench. I always pack fairly firm grease, like the stiffest water pump grease I can find, in that hole. It will last the season and makes finding the drain and opening in the fall easier. And of course leaves the hull fair.

The Typhoon's a great boat and you've chosen a most suitable hull color.

teflon tape , a buck a roll

simple, inexpensive, not messy, cleans up easily when the plug is removed and it works

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

There are lots of OK answers. The only bad one is to forget putting he plug in.

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    There are lots of OK answers. The only bad one is to forget putting he plug in.
    You forgot the "DAMHIKT"...

Not that I know anyone who's ever forgotten one!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I was 16 or so when I went on a March delivery down Long Island Sound. Being the only one who's brought gloves, I was essentially single handing the boat while the owner and his buds hung out below. The hatch opened and a worried owner said, "We're sinking." I suggested pulling up the floorboards to see and sure enough, it was obvious. A nice fountain coming in an inch or so perfectly round hole in the garboard.

One of the crew wrapped up some cloth, rammed it into the hole, and held it while we gave the matter some thought and ran the pump a bit.

No softwood plugs but we did have an awl with a tapered round handle. A little friction tape to give it a better shape and it was tapped home. We diverted to Mattituck, pondering all the while.

It seems that the plug was just a wood plug with a new one bunged in from the outside and cut flush each spring. It seems that some water in the bilge had frozen the hole shut. The yard crew had managed to sand the ice flat on the outside, not noticing it was ice, and then painted it over. Took about 20 miles for it to melt free.

Be advised that most anti - seize compounds are aluminum based. There are nickel or copper based compounds available.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Be advised that most anti - seize compounds are aluminum based. There are nickel or copper based compounds available.

Good add! A case where buying, the " marine" version pays off.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks for all the replies--this kind of boat is new to me, so I appreciate it. My usual "drain" is a cut-off laundry detergent bottle.

I do like the hull color, but that was luck--the guy I bought it from had it all painted already. Now I'm just making sure I'm ready to launch.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com