Thread: Prince Phillip surrenders license

Default Prince Phillip surrenders license

Prince Philip gives up driverís license after crash

UPDATED ON: FEBRUARY 9, 2019 / 4:30 PM / CBS/AP

Prince Philip has decided to stop driving at the age of 97, less than a month after he was involved in a collision that left two women injured, Buckingham Palace said Saturday. Prosecutors said they would consider the decision as they decide whether to charge the husband of Queen Elizabeth II over the Jan. 17 crash.

"After careful consideration the Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving license," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.

Philip was behind the wheel of a Land Rover near the royal family's Sandringham estate in eastern England when he smashed into another car on Jan. 17. Philip had to be helped out of his overturned vehicle but wasn't injured. Two women in the other car were injured, though not seriously, and a 9-month-old baby boy was unhurt.

Police said Philip and the other driver were both given breath tests for alcohol and passed. Philip was photographed driving again two days later, without a seatbelt. Police said they offered him "suitable words of advice" after that.

Norfolk Police confirmed Saturday that the prince had "voluntarily surrendered his license to officers." It said an investigation file on the case had been handed to prosecutors, who will decide whether to press charges.

The Crown Prosecution Service said in a statement that "we review each file carefully before a decision is made and will take this development into account."

Man recalls freeing Prince Phillip from crashed Range Rover, baby from 2nd car

In a letter of apology to one of the injured women, Philip said he was dazzled by the sun when he pulled onto a main road near the royal retreat, 100 miles north of London.

He told Emma Fairweather, who suffered a broken wrist in the crash, that "I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming, and I am very contrite about the consequences." The letter was published by a newspaper.

There is no upper age limit for licensing drivers in Britain, although drivers over 70 are required to renew their licenses every three years and tell authorities about any medical conditions that might raise safety issues.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/prince-...ys-2019-02-09/

Default Re: Prince Phillip surrenders license

Think it was voluntary? I think Lizzie laid into him.
    "Many a time freedom has been rolled back - and always for the same sorry reason: fear." - Molly Ivins

Phil the Greek is an arrogant fart well past any cognitive and coordinated activities (if he ever was cognitive)
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Phil the Greek is an arrogant fart well past any cognitive and coordinated activities (if he ever was cognitive)
    You are projecting, yet again. 😎
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I feel sorry for him. I rather suspect that he was hoping to go for a drive on his hundredth birthday, and, having reflected on his experience, he has thought better of it.

Giving up your driving licence means a lot : it means the end of independence.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

According to wiki, he was driving a Land Rover Freelander, which surprised me, I thought he wouldn't be caught dead in anything but a Defender or Range Rover Sport.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I feel sorry for him. I rather suspect that he was hoping to go for a drive on his hundredth birthday, and, having reflected on his experience, he has thought better of it.

Giving up your driving licence means a lot : it means the end of independence.
    For him, only in terms of going out alone. I'm sure there is someone at his beck and call to take him anywhere at any time.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    For him, only in terms of going out alone. I'm sure there is someone at his beck and call to take him anywhere at any time.
    Hmmm?
    independence

noun [ U ]

uk /ˌɪn.dɪˈpen.dəns/ us /ˌɪn.dɪˈpen.dəns/
    B2 freedom from being governed or ruled by another country:

Mexico gained its independence from Spain in 1821.

B1 the ability to live your life without being helped or influenced by other people:

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

He can still drive on private land - carriage or motor - congratulations on doing the right thing (eventually) - too many don't.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    You are projecting, yet again. 😎
    He does have a reputation for saying hurtful things plus being rude and uncaring, quite unlike Her Majesty; the driving incident in which he was recently involved speaks pages in this regard (Res Ipsa Locquitor)

But he is no Sir Phillip Green of Arcadia corp.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Hmmm?
    You are being funny, presumably.

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    He does have a reputation for saying hurtful things plus being rude and uncaring, quite unlike Her Majesty; the driving incident in which he was recently involved speaks pages in this regard (Res Ipsa Locquitor)

But he is no Sir Phillip Green of Arcadia corp.
    Yeah, but what about Prince Phillip?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Read something suggesting that he would fit in well in the House of Saud (in Riyadh)

My neighbor who is 92, is part of our morning coffee round table group. Last spring he got into a minor fender bender in front of the coffee shop so decided to give up his license. Since then he has been riding with me. He does however still fly his own Cessna, although he will not solo anymore. He was also an incredible woodworker and built beautiful high end custom furniture. But he has given up going near power tools now. He is in very good health, but has just realized his reaction time is a little slow. Getting old is hell.

Oneīs reaction time does slow down as one ages, a limit which does vary considerably from person to person.

People usually mellow with age, get to be more understanding, caring. The exceptions are exactly the opposite, at least incorrigible, if not a lot worse than they were in their younger days.

As a friend of mine, north of 70, said about motorcycles: "the bikes are getting faster, and we're getting slower."
    Elect a clown expect a circus