Thread: The 26,000-Year Astronomical Monument Hidden in Plain Sight

Default The 26,000-Year Astronomical Monument Hidden in Plain Sight

On the western flank of the Hoover Dam stands a little-understood monument, commissioned by the US Bureau of Reclamation when construction of the dam began in 01931. The most noticeable parts of this corner of the dam, now known as Monument Plaza, are the massive winged bronze sculptures and central flagpole which are often photographed by visitors. The most amazing feature of this plaza, however, is under their feet as they take those pictures.

The plaza’s terrazzo floor is actually a celestial map that marks the time of the dam’s creation based on the 25,772-year axial precession of the earth.

I was particularly interested in this monument because this axial precession is also the slowest cycle that we track in Long Now’s 10,000 Year Clock. Strangely, little to no documentation of this installation seemed to be available, except for a few vacation pictures on Flickr. So the last time I was in Las Vegas, I made a special trip out to Hoover Dam to see if I could learn more about this obscure 26,000-year monument.

Monument Plaza with access road on left. (Image courtesy of US Bureau of Reclamation
    READ MORE AT.....
    The 26,000-Year Astronomical Monument Hidden in Plain Sight (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: The 26,000-Year Astronomical Monument Hidden in Plain Sight

That was a fascinating article. Thanks.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

That was good. Thanks!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

cool

I was expecting some Neolithic structure.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

We folk have similar based upon celestial orientation to Crux and another. Moebius would jump into denial mode and commit seppuku
    Xanthorrea

I never knew of the monument but learned of earth's precession in college, wrote to a girl back home that I knew, tongue in check, told her the seasons (by month) would be reversed in about 13,000 years, and things would not even move forward, but back, that we were slowly falling behind in time.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

I now feel bad for driving right past it once over the dam, and a couple times over the new bridge. Next time I will have to stop and check it out. Unless I’m driving a fuel truck. The dam folks don’t care for fuel trucks on the dam.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

The whole Long Now effort is interesting.

I heard Danny Hillis talk about the 10,000 year clock in maybe 1998. They're building it. http://longnow.org/clock/